Turning in old permit (Read 1187 times)

kkhawaii

Turning in old permit
« on: April 24, 2021, 05:48:19 AM »
Scenario:  you purchase a rifle on the whim with a valid permit and did not get a registration time before your permit expires. You got a permit to acquire date months prior because you knew your permit would expire. You turn in your expired permit because they ask for it when you apply for a new permit.

I did not know you (supposedly) needed to register the rifle with the permit you purchased it with (specifically from a gun store, since HPD would not be able to tell if it was a private party sale).

Lady who answered the phone at HPD was not very nice. She was saying that you needed to make a registration appointment FIRST and register your rifle before making an appointment for a new permit. Even if you already had an appointment to get a new permit prior to you expecting to buy a new gun. I told her this system is a mess since we can’t register on time and she said it was not and it is VERY CLEAR. (I don’t know of any instructions anywhere saying that  you are supposed to register your rifle with the permit you bought it with) She said the online times open the same time everyday and I should’ve got a registration time prior to getting a new permit. However the registration times would be 3 months in advanced IF I was lucky enough to get one.  I was not willing to wait another 3 months to register my rifle and be without a valid permit during that time.

Luckily for me I was able to register my rifle a day prior to turning in my old permit so it worked out but I’m sure others had run into this problem. Open discussion.

QUIETShooter

Re: Turning in old permit
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 06:47:28 AM »
I currently have a permit to acquire (long gun) that expires July 24th.  So let's say I happen upon something I like at a GS so I buy it on July 23rd.

How am I going to register it within the time the permit expires?  I never thought the registration people at HPD would expect someone to register within the expiration limits of the permit when registration appointments are hard to get and up to 90 days in advance.

Showing the expired permit to acquire at the time of registration should be enough to show the firearm was purchased legally.  The paperwork from the LGS along with the receipt can be cross checked by the registration guys.

I never came across this scenario since covid.  Last year I bought a rifle but when I applied for the PTA I went ahead and booked an appointment to register about 2 weeks later, just in case.  Turned out I was able to use it otherwise I would have cancelled.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 07:15:06 AM by QUIETShooter »
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

kkhawaii

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
I currently have a permit to acquire (long gun) that expires July 24th.  So let's say I happen upon something I like at a GS so I buy it on July 23rd.

How am I going to register it within the time the permit expires?  I never thought the registration people at HPD would expect someone to register within the expiration limits of the permit when registration appointments are hard to get and up to 90 days in advance.

Showing the expired permit to acquire at the time of registration should be enough to show the firearm was purchased legally.  The paperwork from the LGS along with the receipt can be cross checked by the registration guys.

I never came across this scenario since covid.  Last year I bought a rifle but when I applied for the PTA I went ahead and booked an appointment to register about 2 weeks later, just in case.  Turned out I was able to use it otherwise I would have cancelled.

Agreed. Is it not clear or stated anywhere that you are allowed to register a rifle with an expired permit.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 02:18:49 PM »
This is another example of how the acquisition process and registration process get co-mingled and confused.

The PERMIT TO ACQUIRE has one purpose:  to allow the transferee to legally acquire a firearm.  In the case of a long gun, the permit TO ACQUIRE has a 12 month expiration date from time of issue.  If you use it to acquire a long gun before the permit's expiration date (proven by the seller notifying HPD of the transfer as well as a dated receipt or bill of sale), then the transfer was legally completed even if the permit expires the day after the transfer.

The REGISTRATION process is a separate requirement from the transfer process. They want you to show the expired permit you used, because that permit is tied to the transfer transaction.

If I were in the situation described, I would make a copy of the expired permit to take to my registration appointment, then book an appointment to renew the permit.  If the renewal happens before the registration, then I have the copy to use.

A copy of an expired permit should be just as valid as an original expired permit for registration purposes.

I think as long as they get the permit number and expiration date from a copy of your expired permit, they should be satisfied.

This is my opinion.  Best to fly this by HPD in advance if you intend to try it.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
I am currently having a hard time getting a PTA since the website claims all appointments are booked for the next 90 days.

If I was able to get one it would fall within their parameters as far as renewing PTA's.  Right now it doesn't look promising and it's most likely when I do finally snag an appointment for PTA it will be well past the expiration date of my current PTA.

But if now till the end of my current PTA, if I see or find a firearm that I want to acquire I will still go ahead and buy it.  I don't care if I cannot procure a registration appointment within the time stated by law.  I will continue to try and get one (registration) but it's on them (HPD) not me.

Just gotta make sure I have the proper papers from the seller and my expired PTA (or a copy of it) to make sure everything is in order when I go to register.  :thumbsup:

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.