Pistol Caliber Reloading - Do You Chrono? (Read 2046 times)

drck1000

Pistol Caliber Reloading - Do You Chrono?
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:28:34 AM »
For pistol caliber reloading, do you chrono your loads?

If yes, what are you looking for?  For min or target power factor (for say competition)?  To replicate factory ammo?  Other?

What chrono are you using?  I've mostly seen the chrono with the "gates" at KHSC, but seems to be rare. 

macsak

Re: Pistol Caliber Reloading - Do You Chrono?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:57:29 AM »

If yes, what are you looking for?  For min or target power factor (for say competition)?  To replicate factory ammo?  Other?

What chrono are you using?  I've mostly seen the chrono with the "gates" at KHSC, but seems to be rare.

i own no pistols, reloading equipment and supplies, nor a chrono...

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:04:45 AM »

=========
all of the above
Currently, I have couple of Chronys

I also got a speed trap that measures how long it takes a bullet to travel 2 feet. It gives a readout in microseconds.
Then you have to calculate. It still works after 35 years.
-----------
5/28/1986   38 SPEC   125   JHP   10.4   BLUE DOT   SWM27   3.5   1116      WW   FED200   140   
What, Me Worry?

Glasser

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 02:51:57 PM »
I watched a guy a kokohead Pistol shoot the sunshades off the top of his chrono testing loads. That was pretty interesting to see. Now I know why they sell replacements.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »
i own no pistols, reloading equipment and supplies, nor a chrono...
You boring. . .

=========
all of the above
Currently, I have couple of Chronys

I also got a speed trap that measures how long it takes a bullet to travel 2 feet. It gives a readout in microseconds.
Then you have to calculate. It still works after 35 years.
-----------
5/28/1986   38 SPEC   125   JHP   10.4   BLUE DOT   SWM27   3.5   1116      WW   FED200   140   

I have a magnetospeed that I got for load development for bolt action rifles.  The model I have can be used with handguns, but not that easy.  So I ended up getting a separate chrono as I gear up for reloading for 9 mm.  I mostly want to see where the loads are.  I am thinking I want to be close to factory ammo velocities, but not needed.  As long as consistent, as well as other indicators.

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 11:08:50 AM »
I watched a guy a kokohead Pistol shoot the sunshades off the top of his chrono testing loads. That was pretty interesting to see. Now I know why they sell replacements.
Yeah.  Have seen that a couple of times.  As well as the unit getting damaged after the tripod fell over.  :(

Ocean19

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 02:31:16 AM »
Depending on your PCC you may need strong loads to cycle the bolt to perform properly since it’s a blow back. This would translate to higher  chrono speeds.

If you are reloading try diff weight bullets until you find the one you like, then tune the load.

drck1000

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 02:36:03 AM »
Depending on your PCC you may need strong loads to cycle the bolt to perform properly since it’s a blow back. This would translate to higher  chrono speeds.

If you are reloading try diff weight bullets until you find the one you like, then tune the load.
I don’t own a PCC, but may get one one day. In any case, I would generally want to get close to factory 115 or 124 gr loads, for a number of reasons.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 04:40:04 AM »

You'll get higher Chrono speeds with the same ammo from the carbine because of the increased bbl length.

There are other factors involved. Here is some info and discussion along this line.
This was 6 years ago.
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=19537.msg185477#msg185477
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 04:46:06 AM »
I'm planning to go clock some pistol ammo this afternoon at khsc.
Y'all are welcomed to drop by and check your ammo.
If you're lucky there might be some of my daughter's cream puff pastry left.
What, Me Worry?