New Guy (Read 1372 times)

lpck45

New Guy
« on: June 20, 2021, 02:21:38 PM »
Hello Everyone  :shaka:,

New guy here. Not in Hawaii yet, currently living in Nevada and wife is from Honolulu. Currently trying to transfer to Hawaii. I know HI gun laws are just as strict or more strict than California (my home state). I have a few firearms. I've read the HPD gun laws and transfer stuff however some of it is confusing. I have one SBR and I know those are illegal by name as well as AR/AK pistols. I'm confused on magazine capacity and magazine "rebuild" kits. I've tried to call some local gun shops and no one wants to explain anything. I was wondering if someone can give me the down and dirty on someone from the mainland on bringing their firearms to Oahu.

changemyoil66

Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
All pistol mags max 10 rds.
Rifle mags any amount ok .
"Parts" kits are not illegal unless assembled.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 05:37:59 PM »
All pistol mags max 10 rds.
Rifle mags any amount ok .
"Parts" kits are not illegal unless assembled.

That's a really rough outline, to say the least.

Here are the actual statutes.  Best to start by reading these through once, then read the parts describing permits to acquire, firearm registrations, restrictions and limitations a few more times.  §134-8, §134-8.5, §134-10.2, §134-16, §132-23, §134-24, §134-25, and §134-27 are the main sections to be familiar with in terms of what's okay to have and where you can keep it.

The manufacture, possession, sale, barter, trade, gift, transfer, or acquisition of detachable
ammunition magazines with a capacity in excess of ten rounds which are designed for or
capable of use with a pistol is prohibited.  This subsection shall not apply to magazines
originally designed to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition which have been modified
to accept no more than ten rounds and which are not capable of being readily restored to a
capacity of more than ten rounds.

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-.htm

Also, "parts kits" means disassembled magazine parts.  As long as the parts are not assembled in the state, they can be possessed legally, as a disassembled magazine kit holds zero rounds.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:58:09 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

aaronc5362

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 08:41:23 PM »
As for your sbr..

Its perfectly fine to keep the upper in your place of sojourn.  Illegal to put it on in hawaii. When you register it, just take the lower only, or buy a cheap upper for now  (atleast 16 inch barrel) and keep the other upper in your home, just incase you decide to move from hawaii. Lol. If you wanna get real technical, take out the bcg and i guess it wont be considered an assembled upper. Idk, the exact hrs but thats how i see it. Cause i can still order 11 or 14.5 uppers and itll ship to hawaii. I never did, all of mine are 16 inch barrels cause to pin and weld means extra money i gotta spend. I was just testing to see if i could get sbr barrel lengths shipped here. No one really seems to care.

Pistol mags...
Buy 10 rd mags wherever you are. Prob cheaper and more in stock than what we have here.

Keep whatever you have. Just take the floorplates off once your in hawaii and throw them in a box. Also just incase you leave hawaii later down the road.

Rifle mags..

As said above its cool to have whatevers.. for now. May change later down the road.

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 08:50:38 PM »
most people move from Hawaii TO Nevada
A lot of friends and relatives did that.

Warning:
You will lose a lot of freedom here.
The cost of everything is higher.
Places and opportunities to do recreational shooting is very limited, compared to NV.

Sorry to be a downer, but I think you should know the way it is here.
What, Me Worry?

aaronc5362

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »

Warning:
Places and opportunities to do recreational shooting is very limited, compared to NV.

Yup. I agree. Atleast 8 or 9 coworkers just transferred to vegas, within 1 year. Only 2 are gun freeeeakkkss tho. Lol

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 10:14:54 PM »

Warning:

This sums it up.

IMO, exception is sick family member or stuff like that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

groveler

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »

Warning:

Very much an UNDERSTATEMENT!
If you are moving to Hawaii to live on Oahu you are EFFing nuts!
Molokai or Big island are Do-able with costs comparable to places like WA, AK, OR, CA.
If and only IF! you own your property fee-simple and have no debt.
Aloha.