When to buy (Read 2771 times)

DEROS

When to buy
« on: July 17, 2021, 05:49:52 PM »
I finally got a reservation for a PTA.  Read that once the PTA is approved, it is only valid for 10 days. Most likely buying from mainland dealer and shipped to FFL.  So should I/could I order prior to getting the PTA or buy after getting the PTA?  What happens if the gun arrives after the 10 day PTA validation? 

I’m 99.9% sure I will get the PTA.  If don’t I will have bigger issues to worry about.  I.e The gun I already have registered and a job that requires a security clearance.  I’m a mainland transplant so all I had to do was register my gun so I have no experience buying in Hawaii, which BTW is a PITA.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Re: When to buy
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 06:12:48 PM »
I finally got a reservation for a PTA.  Read that once the PTA is approved, it is only valid for 10 days. Most likely buying from mainland dealer and shipped to FFL.  So should I/could I order prior to getting the PTA or buy after getting the PTA?  What happens if the gun arrives after the 10 day PTA validation? 

I’m 99.9% sure I will get the PTA.  If don’t I will have bigger issues to worry about.  I.e The gun I already have registered and a job that requires a security clearance.  I’m a mainland transplant so all I had to do was register my gun so I have no experience buying in Hawaii, which BTW is a PITA.

Thanks

If you're buying a handgun, then you need to purchase it BEFORE your PTA appointment.  The PTA application requires a full description of the handgun including the serial number.  If it's a private transaction, it's up to the seller if they require a deposit/full payment up front before they provide the gun's info to you.  Dealers require full payment up front, after which they will give you a receipt with the specifics for that handgun.

If you're buying online, the FFL needs to receive the gun before you apply for the permit.  They have paperwork that needs to be sent to HPD, and you need to inspect the firearm within the specified number of days in case there are problems.  Most sellers offer a 3-day inspection period after receipt.  If you wait to report problems after than, you may have difficulty remedying them.  When you go to the FFL to inspect, you should also get a receipt with all the specs needed for the permit application.

If you're buying a long gun, the PTA is valid for 12 months and requires no firearm details on the application.  if you have the permit, it's a "cash and carry" transaction.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 06:19:28 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

jc2721

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 09:52:59 PM »
If you are looking to buy a handgun you will need to have some sort of handgun safety course affadavit (or proof of an acceptable Hunter Safety course completion) and you will have to be enrolled in rapback (+/- $42, payable at time of application--if you've already paid the rapback fee you don't have to pay again with each application).  If you are military there is some kind of letter you can get that will "qualify" you for the safety course requirement but you'll have to check with HPD on that.

Welcome to Hawaii, it sucks for gun owners.

DEROS

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 11:02:22 PM »
If you're buying a handgun, then you need to purchase it BEFORE your PTA appointment.  The PTA application requires a full description of the handgun including the serial number.  If it's a private transaction, it's up to the seller if they require a deposit/full payment up front before they provide the gun's info to you.  Dealers require full payment up front, after which they will give you a receipt with the specifics for that handgun.

If you're buying online, the FFL needs to receive the gun before you apply for the permit.  They have paperwork that needs to be sent to HPD, and you need to inspect the firearm within the specified number of days in case there are problems.  Most sellers offer a 3-day inspection period after receipt.  If you wait to report problems after than, you may have difficulty remedying them.  When you go to the FFL to inspect, you should also get a receipt with all the specs needed for the permit application.

If you're buying a long gun, the PTA is valid for 12 months and requires no firearm details on the application.  if you have the permit, it's a "cash and carry" transaction.
So I have to acquire the gun first, then get a permit to acquire.  That makes no logic.  I’m certain that I will get a PTA, but let’s say I get denied a PTA.  What happens to the gun / the money I paid the dealer, assuming I bought from a local Hawaii dealer?

I’m glad this board and you people are around.  No where in the HPD site tells you about buying the handgun first so you have the gun info.  There is only three forms that they mention PTA Form, Mental, and Medical.

Lucky my appt is not until Oct.  Gives me time to buy the Glock 19 Gen 4.

Thanks.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 11:55:19 PM »
So I have to acquire the gun first, then get a permit to acquire.  That makes no logic.  I’m certain that I will get a PTA, but let’s say I get denied a PTA.  What happens to the gun / the money I paid the dealer, assuming I bought from a local Hawaii dealer?

I’m glad this board and you people are around.  No where in the HPD site tells you about buying the handgun first so you have the gun info.  There is only three forms that they mention PTA Form, Mental, and Medical.

Thanks.

Paying for a gun does not mean the gun has been legally acquired by you.  Once the permit is issued and you present it to the dealer, you can then acquire the gun via the ATF Form 4473 -- Firearms Transaction Record.

If the permit is denied, and there is no way to correct that, then it's up to the dealer's policy as to what happens.  You might get a full refund.  You might get a store credit which can be used for yourself for ammo or whatever.  Or you can find someone who intends to make a purchase at that store and can use your credit while reimbursing you the cash value.  You might also find someone who wants that pistol and will pay you the purchase price.  They can apply for their permit and have the FFL transfer it to them.

This is one of those questions that is best asked of the dealer before you make the decision to buy there.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

blastoff747

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 12:35:33 AM »

Thanks.

Eric808

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 09:26:12 AM »
Currently the registration for PTA is not available for 90 days (added to the 14 day waiting period = 104 days).  There is more info in the following post about the process:
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=40613.0

Flapp is right that you will need the info at the time of the PTA appointment to get the PTA.  You can call (like you did) to make the get the appointment before purchasing from a LGS, order (sent to a local  FFL), or private purchase, but purchase must be made before your PTA appointment.  The seller will then "put on hold" your purchase until after you wait the 14 days (and 90 days appointment waiting period) for you to pick up your PTA.

Luck as you said you have an October appointment, buy or inspect your purchase (online) before your appointment.

aieahound

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
Permit to acquire application. You will need the Make, Model, Caliber, Type/Revolver/Semiautomatic etc, Barrel Length, and Serial Number. (Handguns only)
Name, address, and telephone number of the seller.

https://www.honolulupd.org/police-services/firearms/

Handguns, pain in the ass.

Buy handgun. (Gotta get the serial number of the specific gun you are applying for. )
Go apply for permit with handgun info. and seller info. And all the other crap.
Pick up permit.
Go pick up handgun within 10 days. (Seller signs permit.)
Go back to HPD and register handgun within 5 days.
(Don’t quote me on the time limits.)

P.S. don’t let seller fill the revolver with snap caps so when you clear the gun at the window all the simulated shells don’t fall out in front of the officers.
Fawkin’ MMM !  :rofl:
Pistols. Just take em’ in with mags out and action open.

Rifles.
Apply for permit
Pick up permit
Good to go buckaloose for 12 months.
Just register everything you buy.

That.  :thumbsup:
(2 posts up)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:50:05 PM by aieahound »

mill8316

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 04:19:22 AM »
To the OP. If you are looking to buy a Glock 19 Gen 4 you should check Security Equipment Corp. (SEC Hawaii) first. They usually have tons of glocks in stock and decent pricing. Although I don’t know what they have currently since Covid and all has changed things so much.

Buying from a local shop will also make the whole process easier because the local shop can help you through the buying process. And also one key thing is that the local shop will have 10 round mags for the handgun whereas most online shops sell standard capacity magazines, which they will either not ship to Hawaii, or you will have to pay to get them permanently blocked to 10 rounds, or risk getting arrested.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 05:57:40 AM »
I hate all the hoops that were put in place to own firearms in Hawaii.

But I love the 2a more so I put up with the utter bullshit.  I refuse to succumb to these tactics that discourage gun ownership which in my opinion is the biggest reason we have these pretty illogical and stupid procedures in place.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 07:28:21 AM »
when you go to HPD, apply for handgun and rifle
then you buy both

stangzilla

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 07:39:37 AM »

Thanks

sounds like you are buying a handgun since the 10 day time limit
you should check out local shops too.  some places have handguns in stock, especially if want a Glock or something popular like that
again, do the long gun too when you apply for the handgun. it will come in handy when you want to get a rifle

getting a PTA is a PITA

Glasser

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 08:43:42 AM »
To the OP. If you are looking to buy a Glock 19 Gen 4 you should check Security Equipment Corp. (SEC Hawaii) first. They usually have tons of glocks in stock and decent pricing. Although I don’t know what they have currently since Covid and all has changed things so much.

Buying from a local shop will also make the whole process easier because the local shop can help you through the buying process. And also one key thing is that the local shop will have 10 round mags for the handgun whereas most online shops sell standard capacity magazines, which they will either not ship to Hawaii, or you will have to pay to get them permanently blocked to 10 rounds, or risk getting arrested.

SEC got in a big shipment of pistols a week or 2 ago, they had a big stack of Glocks boxes behind the counter they hadnt even opened yet.

SEC is one of the better LGS for pricing imo.

DEROS

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 08:09:43 PM »
when you go to HPD, apply for handgun and rifle
then you buy both
You read my mind.  I’m incline to buying an AR15 and a tactical shotgun.  I might buy two pistol instead of one.  If there wasn’t a ammo shortage I would a few thousand rounds of each caliber.

However, knowing my luck and the paranoia of HPD, they would put me on a watch list. 

dogman

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:07 PM »
You read my mind.  I’m incline to buying an AR15 and a tactical shotgun.  I might buy two pistol instead of one.  If there wasn’t a ammo shortage I would a few thousand rounds of each caliber.

However, knowing my luck and the paranoia of HPD, they would put me on a watch list. 

Then we are all on their watch list.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 10:12:23 PM »
Ok, I went down to a LGS today and bought a SIG P365 TAC PAC.  It comes with 3 mags and a holster besides the case.

I also bought a Walther P22.  It comes with 2 mags and a case.

The last time I bought handguns was 2 revolvers way back in 1979 (yeah I know, most of you weren't born yet.)  I kinda forget what kind of hoops I had to jump through back then but I'm pretty sure I got through the whole process in one day.  No waiting period.

Information on the HPD site says a separate application must be done for each handgun.  So I figure I have to use 2 forms on the Firearm information sheet and list each handgun separately with make, serial number and barrel length and all that crap.

My question is this:  Do I also have to duplicate all the other forms which is the mental waiver, health waiver, and the application/questionaire sheet?

Thanks for any help.  I figure ask on this forum since many of you own thousands of handguns, so much that you all and HPD are on a first name basis..... :rofl: (Just kidding) ;D

powerlessbump

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 10:38:23 PM »
Ok, I went down to a LGS today and bought a SIG P365 TAC PAC.  It comes with 3 mags and a holster besides the case.

I also bought a Walther P22.  It comes with 2 mags and a case.

The last time I bought handguns was 2 revolvers way back in 1979 (yeah I know, most of you weren't born yet.)  I kinda forget what kind of hoops I had to jump through back then but I'm pretty sure I got through the whole process in one day.  No waiting period.

Information on the HPD site says a separate application must be done for each handgun.  So I figure I have to use 2 forms on the Firearm information sheet and list each handgun separately with make, serial number and barrel length and all that crap.

My question is this:  Do I also have to duplicate all the other forms which is the mental waiver, health waiver, and the application/questionaire sheet?

Thanks for any help.  I figure ask on this forum since many of you own thousands of handguns, so much that you all and HPD are on a first name basis..... :rofl: (Just kidding) ;D

I would have no idea if you need two copies or not. However, I've been printing completed copies from the computer for the past year with no problem. I personally keep my SSN off the copies and fill that in along with signing in front of the officers so there is no questions asked. This makes a very expedited process and they can actually read my paperwork instead of my chicken scratch.

dogman

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 11:45:48 PM »

The "Firearms Information Form" is only used for firearms acquired with your long gun permit. The application form you will be filling out for each handgun is only available at the HPD window. HPD will fill out the handgun information before handing you the form(s). You only need to fill out one each of other forms available online for multiple PTAs per visit.   

QUIETShooter

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »
The "Firearms Information Form" is only used for firearms acquired with your long gun permit. The application form you will be filling out for each handgun is only available at the HPD window. HPD will fill out the handgun information before handing you the form(s). You only need to fill out one each of other forms available online for multiple PTAs per visit.

Ah.  I see.  Thanks for the information!   :shaka: