UPDATED Walk-in Permit-to-Acquire to begin on the week of August 8, 2021 (Read 2687 times)

speedracer808

This was posted on the HPD website.

Walk-in Permit-to-Acquire for firearms will begin on the week of August 8, 2021,
on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the HPD Firearms Section at 801 S. Beretania Street.

Permits-to-Acquire will be limited to no more than 50 persons each day.

Online Permit appointments that were made earlier will be honored
on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

However, new Permit appointments may no longer be made online.

A standby line on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
will be utilized for cancelled appointments.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:25:40 AM by speedracer808 »

aaronc5362

Re: Walk-in Permit-to-Acquire to begin on the week of August 8, 2021
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 12:05:40 PM »
This was posted on the HPD website.

Walk-in Permit-to-Acquire for firearms will begin on the week of August 8, 2021,
on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the HPD Firearms Section at 801 S. Beretania Street.

Permits-to-Acquire will be limited to no more than 50 persons each day.

However, new Permit appointments may no longer be made online.

A standby line on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
will be utilized for cancelled appointments.

Ok.. so what if my PTA appointment is in september and falls on a thursday? I made it in May.

Im gonna be pretty pissed if mine gets cancelled and now i gotta stand in line and hopefully get something. Tbh the way things were, i will probget something that day but its a pain in the ass if i go, stand in line just to be told my appt for pta is in a few hours. Having to back twice instead of just once (my reserved spot via online appt.)  Is really just a PITA
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:11:48 PM by aaronc5362 »

Glasser

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 12:09:50 PM »
I guess the next court fight is going to be the 'limit 50 per day' ?

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »
Ok.. so what if my PTA appointment is in september and falls on a thursday? I made it in May.

I also have a PTA appointment end of September.  I plan to utilize the walk in on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Thank you speedracer808 for sharing this information. :shaka:
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

aaronc5362

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »
Yes, thank you for the heads up.

7ommy6un808

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
This is ridiculous! They got rid of the online appointments and replaced it with “you have to come down to the station to make an appointment” under the guise of “walk-in”. They’ve made the process even more cumbersome! Hopefully HIFICO guys will sue!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »
This is ridiculous! They got rid of the online appointments and replaced it with “you have to come down to the station to make an appointment” under the guise of “walk-in”. They’ve made the process even more cumbersome! Hopefully HIFICO guys will sue!

That was my impression when they opened up registrations for "walk-ins", too.  They are still doing appointments, but only in-person.

They need to be sued big time!
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

blastoff747

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 12:28:14 AM »
And the new thing I heard about is involving registration of lowers or pistol frames.  They want you to sign a paper agreeing to return to update the registration of the completed firearm.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 12:49:09 AM »
And the new thing I heard about is involving registration of lowers or pistol frames.  They want you to sign a paper agreeing to return to update the registration of the completed firearm.

There's nothing in the law to support that.  What are they going to do if you fail to bring the completed firearm in?  What if you never bring it in?  Are they going to send out a SWAT team to look for it?

If you refuse to sign the paper, are they planning to refuse to let you register? 

How do they define "completed?"  What if the upper & lower are disassembled from each other?  Or the frame & slide?  By definition, the frame or receiver is legally regarded as the firearm.  What if you only install a lower parts kit?  Is that lower now considered completed? 

How about if you leave the BCG out?  Without a firing pin, an AR is not functional.  Same for a handgun.  What if you remove the firing pin or recoil spring and guide rod? 

They better think this through, or a lot of firearms will be sitting around with a missing part or two making this new requirement totally ineffective.
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 06:07:04 AM »

That was my impression when they opened up registrations for "walk-ins", too.  They are still doing appointments, but only in-person.

They need to be sued big time!

And I hope they will be sued.  After weeks and weeks of sitting at my computer like a hobo mindlessly punching keys to try to get an appointment I finally get one for end of Sept.  Two months after my long gun permit expired.

Now they plan to open for walk-ins on Aug. 10.  :wtf:

I can only hope that all of these hoops we have to jump through eventually gets deemed unconstitutional.  Right now these procedures are multi-barbed.  The appointment system affords those who work to schedule their time accordingly, and gives them time to request time off to do the permits and registrations.  On the other hand those like me who are retired would likely prefer these walk-ins because they don't have to wait till the appointment that might be months in advance.

I wish all these efforts and resources put in place to discourage gun ownership would be used to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals instead.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
And I hope they will be sued.  After weeks and weeks of sitting at my computer like a hobo mindlessly punching keys to try to get an appointment I finally get one for end of Sept.  Two months after my long gun permit expired.

Now they plan to open for walk-ins on Aug. 10.  :wtf:

I can only hope that all of these hoops we have to jump through eventually gets deemed unconstitutional.  Right now these procedures are multi-barbed.  The appointment system affords those who work to schedule their time accordingly, and gives them time to request time off to do the permits and registrations.  On the other hand those like me who are retired would likely prefer these walk-ins because they don't have to wait till the appointment that might be months in advance.

I wish all these efforts and resources put in place to discourage gun ownership would be used to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals instead.

You should post your appointment for a swap.  Someone with a late-July-early-August appointment might be okay waiting until walk-ins begin to get you in there faster.

Worth a shot.
-- Melvin Udall

surfmaster

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
You should post your appointment for a swap.  Someone with a late-July-early-August appointment might be okay waiting until walk-ins begin to get you in there faster.

Worth a shot.

The guideline below was taken from HPD's website:

Does this mean that someone who has any future appointment that was made online can wait in line starting Monday, August 9, 2021 (and Wed., Aug. 11, Fri., Aug. 13 and upcoming M, W and Fs) even though the noted online appointment date is for a later date/time?

For instance, Quietshooter has an online appointment booked for sometime in September. Does HPD's guidelines mean he can wait in line starting August 9 versus waiting til September? If not, HPD should amend the guideline to the suggested copy below:

Note: online appointment date must match or be later than the date in which you appear at HPD Firearms building.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 02:57:16 PM »
The guideline below was taken from HPD's website:

Does this mean that someone who has any future appointment that was made online can wait in line starting Monday, August 9, 2021 (and Wed., Aug. 11, Fri., Aug. 13 and upcoming M, W and Fs) even though the noted online appointment date is for a later date/time?

For instance, Quietshooter has an online appointment booked for sometime in September. Does HPD's guidelines mean he can wait in line starting August 9 versus waiting til September? If not, HPD should amend the guideline to the suggested copy below:

Note: online appointment date must match or be later than the date in which you appear at HPD Firearms building.

I never thought about those people who made appointments on tuesdays and thursdays for the month of August.  If HPD opens for walk-ins on these days, what about the people who made appointments for these days?  Do they have to line up too? 

That's not fair for these people.  They have bona fide appointments.  And if HPD honors these appointments (as they should) then in reality the people who line up in the mornings on those days are actually on standby.

Does this make sense or am I totally confused.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Omglol

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 03:48:59 PM »
I think they only had Monday, Wednesday and Friday appointments available. I needed one to renew my permit for late aug/early sept and had a hard time getting one.  Would make sense now cause I was checking days that never had any.  If anyone can confirm they have a tues/thurs appointment.

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 04:13:28 PM »
Changed to aug 10th. Tues and thurs only.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

powerlessbump

Slightly related but where would someone park if they wanted to line up at 0700? And what if they had a firearm with them if they wanted to register the same day?

changemyoil66

Slightly related but where would someone park if they wanted to line up at 0700? And what if they had a firearm with them if they wanted to register the same day?
HIs to and from law. Say u got 2hrs to wait with ur gun. U cannot grab food or coffee.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

Depends.  Long guns are different from handguns.

Note:  I would not leave any firearms in the car while you are not in it. If that means lugging them to the line to get a time slip and then go back to the car only to return at a later time, it is what it is.  Not much you can do about that.

Long guns:  You can be in possession of the guns to register.  Just need your permit to acquire & ID. 

Handguns:  You have 2 options --

(1) Meet the seller at HPD so he can be in possession of the handgun/s until he signs your permit.  Once he signs the permit and hands you the gun/s, he can leave.  Next step is to register.

(2) Pick up the permit, then drive to the seller's location to pick up the gun/s.  Whether it's at a gun store, the seller's home, or a mutually agreed upon location, the permit signing is the same. Seller signs permit, gives you the gun/s, then you return to HPD to register the gun/s.

I went with my Son-in-Law the day his permit was ready to transfer 2 of my handguns to him.  I carried the guns in about 12:30.  He picked up the permit, I signed it, gave him the guns, and we walked into the registration vestibule.

I showed him how to use the clearing bin, the officer started the registration process, and we left with my SIL carrying HIS handguns. 

Took less than 20 minutes to pick up the permit, have me sign it, and register under his name.  There was nobody ahead of us for registration.

If I had to offer advice, I'd say don't go at 0700 unless you really need to be at work or somewhere else on time.  Go later in the day.  All the early registration walk-ins will be done, and you can actually do a "walk-in registration".

For what it's worth.  YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:42:59 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

powerlessbump

Thanks everyone for the tips. Does anyone know if you allowed to park at HPD before 8AM?