New Gun Advice (Read 2535 times)

pukas84

New Gun Advice
« on: July 31, 2021, 10:01:17 PM »
Got me a Glock 42 and a 19.  I'm looking into maybe getting another caliber gun.  I haven't priced out the cost for the different caliber ammos yet. and their availabilty.  What's your suggestions?  Maybe spend around $600-$700....  It's probably just to have and take it to the range. 

oldfart

Re: New Gun Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 10:36:03 PM »
Either a 22 or a 45

I like Ruger guns.
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 10:52:40 PM »
1911 silverware with your tupperware
Deeds Not Words

aaronc5362

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 01:26:03 AM »
Im not particularly a fan or .40sw.  But damn thing didnt really change in price compared to 9 or .22 etc.

I had a sw mp .40sw but mainly bought it to complement my other 357 sig pistols and ammo by just a barrel swap. I liked it.

22lr is a good one too. Im somewhat in the market myself. Looking at either a bolt action 457, american rimfire, or possibly a gsg firefly. Pistola.

stangzilla

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 04:51:36 AM »
357 magnum revolver
Ruger GP100 or S&W 686. Both in your price range. Maybe now is more expensive with the covid19 tax
Great range guns. Shoots 357mag and 38sp
Every gun guy/gal should have at least 1 magnum revolver 🤠

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 05:02:37 AM »
357 magnum revolver
Ruger GP100 or S&W 686. Both in your price range. Maybe now is more expensive with the covid19 tax
Yep, good advice.
This is why people end up with so many guns.
What, Me Worry?

aaronc5362

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 05:25:48 AM »
357 magnum revolver
Yep, good advice.

Im not knocking 357 mag or 38 spl, i got a few myself but id go with 44 mag/44 spl. If you already have 9mm is their a point in 38 spl? Might as well get something with a bit more more more power. Imho.

Dont get me wrong, me + silhouette range+ lcr + 357 158g fmj/ 125g hornady critical def. = dead rooster. Proved so many of my friends wrong that a 1.875 inch barrel can hit that rooseter. But with 130g 38spl.....  i cant hit shit past 10 meters. Fucking shit lands like 10-20 feet away from my target at 25 meters.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The only reason i got 38 spl is so i can stock up on it and give to my dad when shtf.

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:52:56 AM »
Yet another reason why people end up with soooo many guns.
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 07:09:31 AM »
357 magnum revolver
Yep, good advice.

Im not knocking 357 mag or 38 spl, i got a few myself but id go with 44 mag/44 spl. If you already have 9mm is their a point in 38 spl? Might as well get something with a bit more more more power. Imho.

Dont get me wrong, me + silhouette range+ lcr + 357 158g fmj/ 125g hornady critical def. = dead rooster. Proved so many of my friends wrong that a 1.875 inch barrel can hit that rooseter. But with 130g 38spl.....  i cant hit shit past 10 meters. Fucking shit lands like 10-20 feet away from my target at 25 meters.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The only reason i got 38 spl is so i can stock up on it and give to my dad when shtf.

I like the 44 better than 357, just slightly
I didnt want to suggest 44 right out of the gate, might be too much for some shooters coming from shooting only 9mm. 38/357 could be a good stepping stone into magnum firearms. Like a gateway drug  :shaka:
357 is going fast, flat trajectory.  Ahhhhhh......just get both  ;)

aaronc5362

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 07:28:09 AM »
I like the 44 better than 357, just slightly
I didnt want to suggest 44 right out of the gate, might be too much for some shooters coming from shooting only 9mm. 38/357 could be a good stepping stone into magnum firearms. Like a gateway drug 
357 is going fast, flat trajectory.  Ahhhhhh......just get both 

Hahahaa agreed. Get both. But if you cant afford to get both get 1 or the other in a reputable platform.

Rugers or S&W (no internal lock if possible) ive had no problems with my internal lock tho.

In other words, avoid taurus. Lol

QUIETShooter

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
I’m partial to .44 mag/special.

Fun to shoot at the range.  For a little while.  Then it becomes like ok....nough.

But everyone should buy a .22 LR handgun both pistol and revolver.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 07:56:16 AM »
If you're eventually going to be introducing folks to shooting, a revolver and 22 handgun will be very helpful.  I went with a 686+ in 6" and it's very mellow/pleasant shooter with .38 SPL and still pretty mellow with .357 Mag.  With .44 Mag/SPL, a heavier revolver can be a sweet shooter too.  I have a very heavy Ruger Redhawk and it's quite fun to shoot.  That said, if you're a "recoil junkie" (like dogman :P ), there are plenty of revolvers that will scratch that itch. 

Good to diversify handgun choices in any case.  Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.  Hopefully a couple of handguns, or 3 or 4.   ;D

I’m partial to .44 mag/special.

Fun to shoot at the range.  For a little while.  Then it becomes like ok....nough.

But everyone should buy a .22 LR handgun both pistol and revolver.
.44 ammo was tougher to find for a while.  Not sure about recently.  I really enjoy shooting my dad's old .41 Mag.  It's a heavier framed S&W and I can shoot that all afternoon.  Ammo is tough to find, but Kaleo Arms helped with that a while back.  Hope they can get back up and running again soon. 

pukas84

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 08:37:04 AM »
hmmm wasn't looking for a revolver, but that would be interesting to have.  Was kind of looking more towards a pistol.

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 08:54:38 AM »
hmmm wasn't looking for a revolver, but that would be interesting to have.  Was kind of looking more towards a pistol.
Personal preference, use/purpose, and what I already own or have tried quite a bit.

For me, polymer handgun I would get a P320 X-5 Legion with RDS. For general range fun, handgun classes, even competition (w/o dot).

For a metal frame handgun, I would get a newer gen Beretta. Interested in them from Ernest Langdon and JJ Racaza. I already have 1911s and CZ75 and those scratch my itch there, but damn the newer Beretta offerings look sweet.

Caliber, I’m all about 9 at this point. I have tried the range and have focused on 9 for a while. That said, I’d be ok with 40 or 45 for a fun range gun. If ammo was better though  :(

aaronc5362

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
⬆️ yes the LTT berettas are friggun nice but i think its out of pukas price range unless hes flexible. Gotta get the g model lol.

OP, think revolvers as like a shotgun. It has its versatility, you can shoot hard cast ammo and shotshell (never tried either tho) lol. But you also have to have that particular "itch" for it like drck had it for 1911s and cz.

In the end its your choice. Any quality gun is better than no gun at all x)

Drck- idk bout the 320 legion. That new aluminum frame ones look better. Even the spectre and i think you get coins for it too?? . I found 1 320 legion for 950 with shipping and 40 dollar ffl fee. Ended up getting a sw mp 2.0 performance series 5 inch barrel just so i could save bout 350 bucks.

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
⬆️ yes the LTT berettas are friggun nice but i think its out of pukas price range unless hes flexible. Gotta get the g model lol.

OP, think revolvers as like a shotgun. It has its versatility, you can shoot hard cast ammo and shotshell (never tried either tho) lol. But you also have to have that particular "itch" for it like drck had it for 1911s and cz.

In the end its your choice. Any quality gun is better than no gun at all x)

Drck- idk bout the 320 legion. That new aluminum frame ones look better. Even the spectre and i think you get coins for it too?? . I found 1 320 legion for 950 with shipping and 40 dollar ffl fee. Ended up getting a sw mp 2.0 performance series 5 inch barrel just so i could save bout 350 bucks.
Yeah. I wasn’t considering his price range. Just what I would get. Oops. Haha. But I would still want a plain Gen 5 19 or 17. That’s in the range, but he already has a 19.

Dunno which specific P320 X-Five. I’m not current on latest and greatest. A couple of shooting friends have been shooting them for a few years. One has put serious number of rounds through it and while I haven’t owned one, I’d consider them (at least the model they have) good to go. I’d probably never get one as the cost for holster and mags would be a drag. But if I were to have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket… sadly my current bolt action itch doesn’t leave much of that  :(

aaronc5362

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »
Yeah. I wasn’t considering his price range. Just what I would get. Oops. Haha. But I would still want a plain Gen 5 19 or 17. That’s in the range, but he already has a 19.

Dunno which specific P320 X-Five. I’m not current on latest and greatest. A couple of shooting friends have been shooting them for a few years. One has put serious number of rounds through it and while I haven’t owned one, I’d consider them (at least the model they have) good to go. I’d probably never get one as the cost for holster and mags would be a drag. But if I were to have some $$$ burning a hole in my pocket… sadly my current bolt action itch doesn’t leave much of that 

All good boss! Yea ive heard both great and not so great things bout the 320s. The only negatives were from the 1st gen when it first released. I think it was first called p320s , then m17 then m18 then legions then spectres, and now axg or axl or whatever. Im sure theres other variations somewhere in that timeline lol. Just seemed some vids and the scorpion "ax-whatever" would be the top of my list. Yea, unfortunately sig mags will never ever go down in price. Your best bet is mecgars. My first sig i bought back in 07, oem mags were 40+ bucks. Then i dug deep into google and found out mecgars were/are subcontracted to make sig-usa mags. Found them at half the price.

:stopjack:

Cz p07 or p09 would be a nice 9mm. I allmost bought 1. I think omaha had the p07 in stock. Low stock tho about a month ago. After factoring the almost completed checkout page and my ffl fee, i think it was around 550.

If you can find a p2022, thats a very nice gun to have. I had 1 in 357 sig and it was a joy to shoot. Da/sa polymer frame. They have it in 40sw too. Since your looking for a diff caliber.

Ok ill prob get shit for this, but i contemplated a sdve 9mm. They also come in 40sw. But it cheap, not as cheap as pre covid, but its around 450 after tax, shipping, ffl fee. If your budget was ~700, you can get the apex tactical kit, holster, and prob a few more mags. Ive heard no complaints after people did the apex upgrades. Some actually like it better than glocks.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:56:19 AM by aaronc5362 »

stangzilla

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
You should make a list of 10 guns you want and see what's available. Nowadays you cant really find what's on top of your list, but maybe can find #2 or 3 or 4.....

Do you have an AR?

pukas84

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
Ok ill prob get shit for this, but i contemplated a sdve 9mm. They also come in 40sw. But it cheap, not as cheap as pre covid, but its around 450 after tax, shipping, ffl fee. If your budget was ~700, you can get the apex tactical kit, holster, and prob a few more mags. Ive heard no complaints after people did the apex upgrades. Some actually like it better than glocks.

I like the price of the sd40 ve.  What about a G23 or a G21?

aaronc5362

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
Ive only ever shot a g23 gen 3. That generation had problems with pistol weaponlights. Wasnt mine. Was a friends pistol. Was alright i guess. Felt exactly the same as a g19 minus the obvious snappier recoil. But i believe the glocks chambered in 40sw beats itself to death?? I think i read that somewhere. Someone correct me if im wrong. Maybe gen 5 g23 solved all those issues?