Black powder on Oahu? (Read 1283 times)

haole phil

Black powder on Oahu?
« on: January 01, 2022, 01:23:59 AM »
I would like to acquire a small amount of canon grade black powder on Oahu for recreational purposes. Does anyone carry BP on Oahu or can order it? I’m not sure any mainland suppliers will ship to me

Last time this came up was 6 or 7 years ago, and it was t available
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 01:39:01 AM by haole phil »

haole phil

Re: Black powder on Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 01:39:13 AM »
Oops didn’t mean to post this reply
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 08:06:19 AM by haole phil »

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 03:59:27 AM »
I would like to acquire a small amount of canon grade black powder on Oahu for recreational purposes. Does anyone carry BP on Oahu or can order it? I’m not sure any mainland suppliers will ship to me

Last time this came up was 6 or 7 years ago, and it was t available
I’m no longer on island. But I belong to a group of shooters called the Black Powder Shooters. They meet at the rifle range on the far right hand side. You will note there are 6 benches on the far right side with the letters BPS engraved in them. They were built by us. They meet every Sunday morning. Early like 7:30am. My suggestion is you go there about 7:30 and look for the group of really old guys and ask for Chris, Gene or Charlie. Introduce yourself and talk story with them for a while and ask them about getting some BP. Tell them Inspector Dave sent you.

They bring in BP occasionally and if all you want is a pound or two they may just sell you some of their own stash. If you want more you may have to wait for them to place another order.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

haole phil

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 08:09:13 AM »
Thanks,  a pound would last me just fine. I really know nothing about black powder and don’t know what the canon grade stuff equals, probably 1f?

How’s the shelf life on it here? If you keep it sealed up tight can you keep the humidity from getting to it? I've reloaded with smokeless powder that was 30+ years old and stored in dry climate with no issues. Didn't know if black powder was any different

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
Thanks,  a pound would last me just fine. I really know nothing about black powder and don’t know what the canon grade stuff equals, probably 1f?

How’s the shelf life on it here? If you keep it sealed up tight can you keep the humidity from getting to it? I've reloaded with smokeless powder that was 30+ years old and stored in dry climate with no issues. Didn't know if black powder was any different
I don’t know what is good for a cannon. But just tell them what you are going to use it for and they’ll send you in the right direction.

I have heard of BP getting wet and then dried out in the sun and working perfectly. So store it normally and it will be fine.

One of the LGS here buys up most of the estate reloading stuff that seems to pop up regularly. They resell the powder. I have been picking up the occasional 30+ year old pound of my fav powders. I am really buying them for the old containers as a collector display piece. But if the powder looks right and smells right I have been using it up. Been finding 3/4+ pound containers for around $10-$12. Can’t complain.

haole phil

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 12:55:52 PM »
Thanks!
Maybe alocal shop can order me a couple pound with their normal orders too.i see the conundrum. You can't mail it by air. You can't mail it USPS. Every FedEx and UPS service here goes by air.

Inspector

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 01:14:21 PM »
Thanks!
Maybe alocal shop can order me a couple pound with their normal orders too.i see the conundrum. You can't mail it by air. You can't mail it USPS. Every FedEx and UPS service here goes by air.
I could be wrong but you may not be able to ship it with smokeless powder either. I could very well be wrong about that. Just something in the back of my mind that says you cannot mix different hazardous materials. I think they each require a different type of hazard classification. Or maybe they have to be packaged separately but can still go on the same pallet. Ask the BPS guys. They know.

groveler

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
I've been hanging back on this one, but I'll speak up now and see if I get corrected.
I own four cannons, one a 3 inch Parrot rifle replica.
I have a 54. Cal Hawken rifle,
I got rid of the navy replica 36 Cal.
For the most part you can't ship Black power here because it is considered an explosive and nobody will ship it.
Want to buy your own boat?  You can bring over all you want.
For that reason everybody uses Hogden which is not considered an explosive.
One pound of powder isn't squat for a cannon.  For a cannon you want a very coarse powder, Rilfles finer,
and pistols finer still.  Check for Hogden products.
If you really, really have to have traditional Black powder, your best bet is to make your own as you can
easily obtain the chemicals, lead balls, and mixer to make "Meal powder" in whatever grain size you want.
Government won't know you have it, it is legal, and you can also make some really
awesome fireworks if you are so inclined, although I don't recommend anybody to break the law.
There are lots of Youtube videos out there on the powder stuff.
 :geekdanc:

haole phil

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 01:59:18 PM »
I've been hanging back on this one, but I'll speak up now and see if I get corrected.
I own four cannons, one a 3 inch Parrot rifle replica.
I have a 54. Cal Hawken rifle,
I got rid of the navy replica 36 Cal.
For the most part you can't ship Black power here because it is considered an explosive and nobody will ship it.
Want to buy your own boat?  You can bring over all you want.
For that reason everybody uses Hogden which is not considered an explosive.
One pound of powder isn't squat for a cannon.  For a cannon you want a very coarse powder, Rilfles finer,
and pistols finer still.  Check for Hogden products.
If you really, really have to have traditional Black powder, your best bet is to make your own as you can
easily obtain the chemicals, lead balls, and mixer to make "Meal powder" in whatever grain size you want.
Government won't know you have it, it is legal, and you can also make some really
awesome fireworks if you are so inclined, although I don't recommend anybody to break the law.
There are lots of Youtube videos out there on the powder stuff.
 :geekdanc:

thanks, as you probably noted, I have little to no black pow pow experience.

What I want isn't a cannon so much as a thunder mug. I think it's 7/8" bore and probably 6" deep. Most seem to recommend 2oz of goex cannon powder, which is pretty unavailable right now or potentially forever since they shut down. I think the schuetzen reenactor would work too or 1F seems to be the go to. I'm guessing any 1-4F would work in reality? Most recommend tamping it with flour and lighting it and running like hell. I just want a big bang, so I wasn't sure pyrodex was the way to go unless we're thinking two different products (triple 7 vs pyrodex). People say it works but just isn't as loud as black powder because of less resistence? Seems like you can educate me here.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, I avoid youtube as there are a lot of confidently incorrect people there, and this stuff is pretty serious business if it goes wrong.

I guess I could make my own. Sounds fun, actually. I have a tumbler I can just get a spare drum for.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:22:43 PM by haole phil »

haole phil

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 02:01:28 PM »
I could be wrong but you may not be able to ship it with smokeless powder either. I could very well be wrong about that. Just something in the back of my mind that says you cannot mix different hazardous materials. I think they each require a different type of hazard classification. Or maybe they have to be packaged separately but can still go on the same pallet. Ask the BPS guys. They know.

I don't know either. I'll ask kaleo if they can send it on their monthly pallet. If they can't they can't.

aletheuo137

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 08:54:29 AM »
I need to get my black powder stuff out and start dusting off the cob webs!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk