24%
Dan (Kaneohe GS).
28.1%
Dale (YoungGuns).
2.3%
One of the other guys.
8.2%
Total Members Voted

Poll time: who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu? (Read 98831 times)

antoinebugleboy

Re: Poll time: who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:09 AM »
I notice that Dan from Kaneohe Gun Shops is tied for a distant second. I gotta speak up for him. The dude is *intense* and very opinionated, but I don't think he's ever been anything but helpful and courteous. Plus the fact that he spends his own time and money to help put on the LIFE Fun Shoots speaks a great deal to his mission-oriented attitude for his gun shop.
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. - Heinlein

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

GZire

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:17 AM »
^^^It is great that he supplies hardware and ammo for the LIFE events, but I have to wonder if he claims any of it.

Secondly, there is a reason why my friend refers to him as "Wormy Dan."

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
^^^It is great that he supplies hardware and ammo for the LIFE events, but I have to wonder if he claims any of it.

Secondly, there is a reason why my friend refers to him as "Wormy Dan."

You mean claim tax deductions? I'm sure he does, or at least, he should. I don't think that takes away from any props he should get for it. He may get a little money off his taxes, but it's not a net profit. It still costs him his time and money, and everyone who attends benefits.

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

GZire

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »
^^^It does cost time and money, but it's also free advertising for his shop.  All those noobs who attend probably don't know who's out there and Daniel is the guy front and center.

Sorry - I'm just a really cynical person.

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
^^^It does cost time and money, but it's also free advertising for his shop.  All those noobs who attend probably don't know who's out there and Daniel is the guy front and center.

Sorry - I'm just a really cynical person.

The times I've been to the LIFE Fun Shoots, Dan never mentioned his shop even once. And even if he did (I think it's perfectly fair that he does.), does that take away from the benefits he's providing the shooting community?

:stopjack: He's not grouchy.

GZire

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2011, 10:48:46 AM »
My friend never nicknamed him Grouchy Dan, he nicknamed him Wormy Dan.

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:40 PM »
My friend never nicknamed him Grouchy Dan, he nicknamed him Wormy Dan.

I know, but the poll here is, "who's the grouchiest gun store owner on Oahu?" and Dan's tied for #2.

GZire

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »
^^^True.............but a distant Deuce.........

GZire

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
My bad, Carter has edged out into second place.

Old Guy

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
The problem I have is PARKING

Being Disabled, I have a problem walking any distance.

OGC is One of the places I have Not been to because of a lack of parking.

I gone there 3X and have not found anyplace reasonably close to park Legally.

The last time I went, a State Sherriff had parked a full sized crew cab pick up blocking the entire

frontage of the parking area.  I kept on going to YG. Their HandiCap stall was open(and usually is).

Kalihi Kai Sucks when it comes to HPD enforcement of any kind.  It has gone from OK 40 years ago

to Non Existant today.  I moved out of there 2 years ago.  Then I could have walked to OGC

as it would have been less than 2 blocks away.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »
My experience at Kaneohe Gun was depressing.  I will never go there again! What a waste of gas.  I was treated rudely.

I was just trying to get a good deal on a AR upper and the guy basically calls me a cheap guy.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

spanner1751

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
^^^I remember the Armory.

Me too. They had maybe ten each of the 1896 Swedish and 1909 Argentine Mausers, both some of best military surplus rifles to be had. I should have picked up a few then. I heard that they were all destroyed after the BATF confiscated the weapons.
The owner was a jerk, though. Maybe the steroids had something to do with it.

TastesLikeMetal

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
I'm an idiot, I accidentally clicked Carter even though I think him and his shop are cool as hell.  I'm new to Firearms ownership but don't need someone blowing sunshine up my ass, Carter and crew have the info I'm more interested in.  I'm not sure who helped me at Magnum but he seemed indifferent to me and my questions, the indoor range was a selling point to me though.  Get it done Carter:-)

Ray

rswarrior1700

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:48 AM »
I vote for Art
When I was just start researching on guns and trying to start a conversation going and he totally blew me off and suggested to take the safety class through him if I want to learn anything firearms related.
That experience stop me from buying a firearm for almost 10 years. Although I would say his staff is cool. His clients is mainly mil and LEO huge selection of guns and gears and he don't care for airsofters.

As for Dan I am his regular customer through the LIFE fun shoot. I can tell he will treat all 1st time shoppers suspiciously and cautiously and I can understand that because he only one guy running a gunshop. The only reason I go to his shop because by supporting him I am supporting the Fun Shoot that is held once a month out at Koko Head and that is the closest thing to a tactical class for here in Hawaii and it is free. Now he gives me discount but that is not why I shop there. He does his rant now and then and I do see if a bit excessive that scares people away but he means well, he just not very outgoing to people on the first meet. His main clients are civilians so his prices are low everyday for everybody and does not give any more discounts to military people or it will raise the prices overall on his inventory.

Carter probably the best buisnessman in the buisness. His tweeter account and  his activity on here. He willing to bring in stuff. Remember his little shop on King now look at the big warehouse he have now, so he must be doing something right. I dunno he comes off grouchy but he does come off strong and might offend people. I shop at his store if Dan don't have items like xdm magazines and defensive holopoints.  Lots of inventroy and his clients are anybody from the looks of it.

Folks of Young Guns are really friendly

WGS cool guy and he opens on sunday.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
I vote for Art
When I was just start researching on guns and trying to start a conversation going and he totally blew me off and suggested to take the safety class through him if I want to learn anything firearms related.
That experience stop me from buying a firearm for almost 10 years. Although I would say his staff is cool. His clients is mainly mil and LEO huge selection of guns and gears and he don't care for airsofters.

As for Dan I am his regular customer through the LIFE fun shoot. I can tell he will treat all 1st time shoppers suspiciously and cautiously and I can understand that because he only one guy running a gunshop. The only reason I go to his shop because by supporting him I am supporting the Fun Shoot that is held once a month out at Koko Head and that is the closest thing to a tactical class for here in Hawaii and it is free. Now he gives me discount but that is not why I shop there. He does his rant now and then and I do see if a bit excessive that scares people away but he means well, he just not very outgoing to people on the first meet. His main clients are civilians so his prices are low everyday for everybody and does not give any more discounts to military people or it will raise the prices overall on his inventory.

Carter probably the best buisnessman in the buisness. His tweeter account and  his activity on here. He willing to bring in stuff. Remember his little shop on King now look at the big warehouse he have now, so he must be doing something right. I dunno he comes off grouchy but he does come off strong and might offend people. I shop at his store if Dan don't have items like xdm magazines and defensive holopoints.  Lots of inventroy and his clients are anybody from the looks of it.

Have you been to X-Ring yet?
Art's best employee is over there now.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

Jl808

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
As a newbie gun owner, here's been my experience...

The first time I've been to Magnum was about 5 years ago... not gun related but because someone I know had some business with Art.  My friend introduced me and Art just kind of shrugged and didn't say anything.  That pretty much is my impression of Art since I've had no interaction with him (and I have no desire to).  That said, I've been to Magnum recently to try and visit all gun stores in Hawaii and have found Brian there to be knowledgable.  I've also gone there with a friend to use the indoor gun range.  I hope that the issues going on with Art will help the store change for the better.

I like the folks at Young Guns.  The place is very convenient for me as I live closeby.  The folks are pretty friendly and I like the relaxed atmosphere there.  Because of the location, parking and the relaxed atmosphere, I've been to YG several times and have bought a bunch of stuff from them. 

I've also been to OGC once, probably lucky to land a front door parking spot when I went.  The atmosphere was pretty professional when I went there to look around.  I will probably go there again when I have a chance... also to check out Mojo Tactical's gears.   :thumbsup:

I've also been to the Winward Gun Shop at Hawaii Kai once.  I enjoyed talking to the owner and picked up some stuff.  Would shop there again.

Lastly, I've been to Sports Authority a few times to browse.  Not really sure why but the guy at the counter didn't seem to have much to say.  Will probably only go back there if there was a good sale.

I've not been to XRing or the Kaneohe GS yet so no idea about them.  Will need to check them out soon!  :)
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Inspector

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 12:34:13 PM »
I have been to all that were mentioned in the poll except for Magnum (Art). I can honestly say that I try and spread my money around to all of the shops. I have gone to them and did a little talk story and found everyone at these shops more than helpful and nice and interesting to talk to. However, I found they all lack something major in my opinion. For instance I usually make the rounds and go to 4 places while I'm out. I go to (in no particular order) Young Guns, X-Ring, OGC and WGS. Young Guns has good sales on ammo sometimes but otherwise high prices. They are usually out of most of the things I want. But when it comes to certain items they seem to be the only place on the island that carries what I am looking for. X-Ring is newly opened so their inventory is not what I would like to see. They are VERY helpful and their prices are very fair. The big downside is not much stock, yet. OGC is a PAIN IN THE ASS FOR PARKING. They have lost some of my business because of this. Otherwise I found everyone there (including Carter) to helpful and nice. But they are usually VERY busy so not much time to talk story to. Also, I called one day about an hour before they closed and asked for Carter and was told he was too busy to come to the phone and I should e-mail him instead. That was Tuesday so I didn't get to call back until Thursday because they are closed Wednesday. Not a big deal but a little off the wall. WGS has very high prices on most things. But they have most of what I want almost all the time in stock. And I have to say that Joe and Henry are the most friendly and helpful people as well as can talk story. Notice I didn't mention Kanehoe. I went there once and bought something but I was not impressed. Nothing bad to say. Just that I can get what I want with a better experience closer to my house.

Maybe I have hit all these places/people on their good days? Or maybe you get what you give? Who knows?

SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

ren

« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 06:36:25 PM »
Dan may not be the grouchiest but his business practices are poor.
When you have a gun you sold on consignment for a customer you don't make him wait 6 months for his money.
Deeds Not Words

rswarrior1700

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:04 PM »
I vote for Art

Have you been to X-Ring yet?
Art's best employee is over there now.

Yeah I heard his best employees left and started a new shop in Waipahu/Waipio?
I also hear they do price matching.

This leave the question  several questions
Is Art in Jail?
Is Magnum still running?

rswarrior1700

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 08:48:33 PM »
I have been to all that were mentioned in the poll except for Magnum (Art). I can honestly say that I try and spread my money around to all of the shops. I have gone to them and did a little talk story and found everyone at these shops more than helpful and nice and interesting to talk to. However, I found they all lack something major in my opinion. For instance I usually make the rounds and go to 4 places while I'm out. I go to (in no particular order) Young Guns, X-Ring, OGC and WGS. Young Guns has good sales on ammo sometimes but otherwise high prices. They are usually out of most of the things I want. But when it comes to certain items they seem to be the only place on the island that carries what I am looking for. X-Ring is newly opened so their inventory is not what I would like to see. They are VERY helpful and their prices are very fair. The big downside is not much stock, yet. OGC is a PAIN IN THE ASS FOR PARKING. They have lost some of my business because of this. Otherwise I found everyone there (including Carter) to helpful and nice. But they are usually VERY busy so not much time to talk story to. Also, I called one day about an hour before they closed and asked for Carter and was told he was too busy to come to the phone and I should e-mail him instead. That was Tuesday so I didn't get to call back until Thursday because they are closed Wednesday. Not a big deal but a little off the wall. WGS has very high prices on most things. But they have most of what I want almost all the time in stock. And I have to say that Joe and Henry are the most friendly and helpful people as well as can talk story. Notice I didn't mention Kanehoe. I went there once and bought something but I was not impressed. Nothing bad to say. Just that I can get what I want with a better experience closer to my house.

Maybe I have hit all these places/people on their good days? Or maybe you get what you give? Who knows?

I tried to do the same and spread my buisness around but mostly at KGS and OGC