Expect ammo prices to continue to rise this year ... (Read 5054 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Expect ammo prices to continue to rise this year ...
« on: January 18, 2021, 03:56:04 PM »
Unconfirmed, but IMO not unexpected, plans for ammo makers to increase prices...

International Sportsman obtained a letter to dealers from Vista Outdoor President Jason Vanderbrink,
which announces a price increase on Federal, Remington, CCI, and Speer ammunition of 3-15 percent.
We have reached out to Vista Outdoor to confirm. You can read the letter below:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for your business and for your continued support of American manufacturing.
We have hired hundreds of people over the last 12 months and invested millions of dollars
to produce more ammunition to meet our customer and consumer needs. During this year
we have seen significant increases in raw material prices such as copper, zinc, and lead.
Additionally, increases in labor and health care have exceeded our projections as the COVID-19
pandemic has affected us all.

Effective 4/1/2021 Federal, Remington, CCI, and SPEER ammunition will take a price
increase of 3-15% across all products from our last price list.
Unless you notify us to
cancel an order, we will reprice all existing and future orders shipped on or after 4/1/2021 to the
new 4/1 prices.

You will receive your finalized price list no later than February 19th.

Thank you for your continued support of our brands and our American workforce.

Jason R. Vanderbrink
President Ammunition

https://www.internationalsportsman.com/2021-ammo-price-increases-federal-cci-speer-remington/
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

justin1098

Re: Expect ammo prices to continue to rise this year ...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 06:36:15 PM »
Not surprised. I would just be happy to be able to buy what I need.
All my hobbies are like this.
Can't get bicycles and accessories
Can't get a graphics card
Can't get a video game console

can get toilet paper

ren

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:37:08 PM »
and the classifieds are out of control!!! :rofl:
Deeds Not Words

QUIETShooter

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 06:55:57 PM »
Unconfirmed, but IMO not unexpected, plans for ammo makers to increase prices...

https://www.internationalsportsman.com/2021-ammo-price-increases-federal-cci-speer-remington/

Thanks for sharing this.  At least all will have an idea of ammo prices going forward.  I plan to buy when I can and shoot half. 
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

robtmc

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:25 PM »
Just keep the ammo inventory up. 

A price bump sucketh, but as long as moderate, far better than an outright shortage.

macsak

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 07:22:55 PM »
Just keep the ammo inventory up. 

A price bump sucketh, but as long as moderate, far better than an outright shortage.

good thing i own no firearms, ammo, nor reloading components...

aieahound

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:51 PM »
and the classifieds are out of control!!! :rofl:

I can deal with the 3-15% bump if ammo is readily available.
That’s still way better than most of the current classified prices.  :wacko:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 08:11:03 PM »
Not all prices in the classifieds are that crazy if you check other sources.  I spent a lot of time trying to get a handle on what a reasonable price would be for .45ACP.

I found several places with .45ACP prices, and the spectrum was $0.38 - $1.30 per round.  Of course, that isn't displaying the variances in price between high-end HD ammo and low-end range ammo.

I found Brownell's selling the same ammo I listed tonight at $0.63/rd.  I fudged that up using a WAG for Hawaii shipping, HAZMAT, tax, current supply & demand, etc., and settled on an asking price of $0.70/rd.  That includes the ammo can and reusable desiccant pack.  Asking prices are always negotiable.  My price is only $70/1000rds more than the base price at Brownell's and includes extras.

Lastly, I didn't want to price it so low that someone snags a great deal only to turn around and resell it a month later for even more $$$.  That's worse for the shooters who really need ammo.

I try not to disparage other's prices.  Maybe they are gouging, or maybe they just found another gouging price and thought that's what the market is paying now.  I have to say, after checking Gun Broker's prices, I'm going to be listing some of my "excess" arms soon.   :thumbsup:
-- Melvin Udall

6716J

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 08:30:17 PM »

Not all prices in the classifieds are that crazy if you check other sources.  I spent a lot of time trying to get a handle on what a reasonable price would be for .45ACP.

I found several places with .45ACP prices, and the spectrum was $0.38 - $1.30 per round.  Of course, that isn't displaying the variances in price between high-end HD ammo and low-end range ammo.

I found Brownell's selling the same ammo I listed tonight at $0.63/rd.  I fudged that up using a WAG for Hawaii shipping, HAZMAT, tax, current supply & demand, etc., and settled on an asking price of $0.70/rd.  That includes the ammo can and reusable desiccant pack.  Asking prices are always negotiable.  My price is only $70/1000rds more than the base price at Brownell's and includes extras.

I'll take some of that $70/1000 rounds stuff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

hvybarrels

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 08:33:11 PM »
Not surprised. I would just be happy to be able to buy what I need.
All my hobbies are like this.
Can't get bicycles and accessories
Can't get a graphics card
Can't get a video game console

can get toilet paper

There is a long wait for custom surfboards at the moment because of a blank shortage.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 08:35:22 PM »

Lastly, I didn't want to price it so low that someone snags a great deal only to turn around and resell it a month later for even more $$$.  That's worse for the shooters who really need ammo.

I try not to disparage other's prices.  Maybe they are gouging, or maybe they just found another gouging price and thought that's what the market is paying now.  I have to say, after checking Gun Broker's prices, I'm going to be listing some of my "excess" arms soon.   :thumbsup:

I was just trying to do a Garand Thumb spin on things. :shaka: I paid over $100 on shipping alone just for a case of .22  :(
Deeds Not Words

aieahound

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 09:02:59 PM »
Trippy. Went into a bike shop the other week and shelves were bare except super high end bikes.
And surf breaks are ridiculously crowded nowadays at popular spots and loaded with dangerous newbies.
Never saw so many wavestorms in my life.

Yeah I saw your ad Flapp and was shocked it was close to reasonably priced.  :thumbsup: Especially with what the current local market will apparently bear. (In this market, I’d pay $.70 a round for .45 ACP.)

But 7.62x39 and 5.56 at dollar a round in some adds ? $100 for a brick of .22 in some ads.
But what the heck, people are buying it up.  Might as well get while the gettin’ is good.

I was just saying that I can live with the 3-15% hike if the gun stores are filled with reasonably priced ammo.
Better nominal price hike and increased production and availability than the ammo shortage we’re currently in which creates crazy market pricing.
I know distributors are jacking prices right now due to the shortage and lack of availability.
Gun shops currently have to pass on distributor pricing with their normal mark up, if they can get the popular calibers.
For some people, the classifieds are currently the only place they can find them.

And not trying to disparage anyone.

P.S.
 and God forbid, wait until Biden and Congress hit us with a new ammo tax as a back door “gun control” measure in the name of public health or some other nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:24:15 PM by aieahound »

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 09:37:18 PM »

I'll take some of that $70/1000 rounds stuff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You must have me confused with that OTHER IT expert!   :shaka:
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »
You must have me confused with that OTHER IT expert!   :shaka:

you accept Venmo out of Africa?
Deeds Not Words

jfrasher

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 10:23:38 PM »
The price is getting out of control

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 11:50:25 PM »
you accept Venmo out of Africa?

I'll have my Barrister from Nigeria contact you ...

O0
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 06:15:41 AM »
yeah, a gov't tax on ammunition by biden and kamala on top of the price hike by manufacturers is what I am concerned about.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

6716J

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 07:17:35 AM »
yeah, a gov't tax on ammunition by biden and kamala on top of the price hike by manufacturers is what I am concerned about.

I'm sure it will be reasonable and not a burden at all. Just at 100% per round. It's for the children.

zippz

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 10:25:08 AM »

There's currently a 11% federal tax on ammo that goes towards hunting and range programs, I suppose that's how it's justified.  However a large federal tax meant to discourage purchases that doesn't go back towards shooting programs would be found unconstitutional.

They could pull off a large tariff on ammo imports or just ban it entirely which would cause ammo prices to skyrocket.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

6716J

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2021, 10:48:13 AM »
There's currently a 11% federal tax on ammo that goes towards hunting and range programs, I suppose that's how it's justified.  However a large federal tax meant to discourage purchases that doesn't go back towards shooting programs would be found unconstitutional.

They could pull off a large tariff on ammo imports or just ban it entirely which would cause ammo prices to skyrocket.

you mean like cigarette taxes?....