4k security cameras (Read 4646 times)

hvybarrels

4k security cameras
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:10:07 PM »
I got the Lorex system from Costco because the Night Owl stopped responding and never liked it anyway. Was cleaning up the wiring today and the neighbor was making fun of me for being paranoid, but then right after a creeper came walking his bicycle up our driveway looking for freebies. Happened to intercept him so nothing went missing, but checking back on the footage I was really impressed with the image quality.

By the time he noticed the cam I had plenty for face/tattoo ID. The new system also works much better at night and has a long infrared throw so I can even see what's going on across the street. License plates at night still suck if the car is moving, however. Almost need a dedicated solution for just that. Also since the new system is Cat5 it can take up to 300' runs without some sort of signal boosting, and you can make your own cables pretty easy if you have a crimper.

Not sure what I should do with the footage, though. He didn't really do anything so there's nothing to report. He did have a very fancy bicycle that was jerry rigged so he could "break" it and wander into places pretending to need help. In a perfect world he could put that ingenuity to work doing something useful instead of stealing shit.

“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

oldfart

Re: 4k security cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:20:05 PM »
Cool
What, Me Worry?

hvybarrels

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
So was cleaning up around the yard and noticed this thing that had been sitting there for a couple weeks but I figured it fell out of someone's trash can. Apparently the driveway has been used as a sort of pit stop for spray paint suckers. No wonder the dude had a hardware store bag.

Feel kinda sad for that guy.  :(
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

jaynick

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
i have the same 4k system. i had  a 3mp lorex nvr system and qsee 1080p system before that. they both seem to come out of the same factory.  they all work well but are hard to view recorded video and the app is slow and buggy. dont expect any updates to the app or the software. same as 5 years ago lol.

if you want better low light they make a 2mp starlight add on camera that is supposed to have the same size image sensor as the 8mp but only 2mp, so its 4x brighter.

jaynick

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
its also important to mount them properly(may need to adjust the spot from your previous cameras) so the night vision doesnt get washed out from the two strong ir leds reflecting off a nearby object.
if any of the ir light bounces off an eave or rafter etc it really throws off the picture.
also the color night vision is cool but i read that if you want ultimate detail for ID purposes the traditonal black and white mode is recommended.

hvybarrels

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
Haven't run the app yet and still debating connecting to the internet, but yeah the interface could be better. I wish they had a training video or something because I'd like to export a picture of that guy and tweak some settings but still scratching my head. Definitely like it better than the Night Owl though.

Was also looking into that add-on starlight camera. The image quality is incredible.

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-starlight-varifocal-turret-ipc-hdw5231r-z.14683/

zippz

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about getting the costco camera sets.  Neighbors house has been burglarized a few times and fortunately mine hasn't.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Surf

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
Hey guys, I have looked at these systems in the past, but have heard that they are not as simplistic as they should be for set up, off site monitoring, support, etc...  From your experience, even if limited, would you say this is true, or have issues been resolved?  I really don't mind paying a bit more if the system is a bit more intuitive and "dummy proof".

hvybarrels

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Haven't had time to try and connect mine to the internet. Will let you know as soon as I do.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:49:06 PM »
Haven't had time to try and connect mine to the internet. Will let you know as soon as I do.

The reviews I've read for these products say the app you use on the phone is seriously flawed to the point of not working. 

Of course that can be corrected on any given day with a new app version, but it's something to be aware of if consider buying.

FYI.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

jaynick

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
lorex uses "dahua guts" theyre one of the top suppliers for cameras and nvr units.

its good enough for me, for now. there are some faults but for the entry price its hard to complain. these cameras are worth 150 each on ebay, so just to buy 6 cameras it would cost you roughly $900. you get the nvr and the software/app/remote viewing for free. i use my remote viewing app all the time. i can check the weather or if there is a package left for me. you can take snapshots and digitally zoom in and even control a ptz camera if you add one on.
i have not remotely set up a camera at a different location from the nvr unit using a poe injector and all that yet but i plan to try it out soon just to see the quality and if its laggy.

a popular workaround for the software is installing blue iris onto an i5/i7 pc and setting up your cameras through your pc instead.
you gain IVS features and slightly faster processing/streaming etc.
ivs has features like facial recognition and advanced motion detection like virtual tripwire and camera tampering such as throwing a towel over it. you could even highlight a certain object and if it moves or goes missing you get an email within 10 seconds or so. you can also set it to do the exact opposite, it will notify you if someone leaves an object behind that isnt supposed to be there (aka suspicious bag or package). plenty of technology.

jaynick

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:21 AM »
The reviews I've read for these products say the app you use on the phone is seriously flawed to the point of not working. 

Of course that can be corrected on any given day with a new app version, but it's something to be aware of if consider buying.

FYI.

the older models were laggy but the newer processors are better. maybe the internals of the cameras themselves are better too, im not sure. i also bought a high end router with mimo at the same time although that would only help with streaming speed.
it takes me about 5-8 seconds for the app to boot up and video stream to start. used to take 15-20 seconds to load and sometimes not all channels would stream so youd need to reload the stream.
the streaming video is on a 1-2 second delay which some people seem to complain about. im more annoyed that you cant just pinch to zoom, you need to first scroll to the right and then click digital zoom to be able to pinch to zoom.
you can take snapshots and manually record something if you have it set to motion sensing activation, but viewing recorded video on the app will freeze the app.  this is probably what people complain about but to me its not a big deal. viewing video thru the app is only in 360p so you cant identify much anyway. id rather view it from a 60" 4k tv at full resolution.

i think for most homeowners the factory programs are 'good enough' and simple enough. but if you have an elaborate house or a retail/office that needs surveillance id definitely go with blue iris for the added features.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by jaynick »