Maunakea TMT Protests (Read 171617 times)

ren

Re: Maunakea TMT Protests
« Reply #620 on: August 15, 2019, 06:02:22 PM »
no protests here:

Deeds Not Words

RSN172

« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2019, 06:36:23 PM »
I was only 9 when Hawaii became a state, but I remember the huge disappointment when Alaska was named the 49th state as Hawai’i was trying very hard for statehood.  When Hawai’i was named the 50th State, my parents, uncles, aunts and neighbors were very happy.  Being a little kid at the time, I couldn’t tell the difference.

ren

« Reply #622 on: August 15, 2019, 06:56:57 PM »
I think the problem is that people who are internally disappointed with their own shortcomings project it and blame something external.
This is a generational issue and is not localized here but this is a good example.
There are opportunities out there for everyone. This country gives you that - and ironically gives you the voice to opine.
You can throw the victim card deck of: racism, inequality, gender this and that, hate this & that but its getting old. A kid throwing a tantrum. because they didn't get a toy. An adult losing an argument. An adult bringing up the past and asking for "reparations".
While we are imploding other countries like India and China are moving forward with technology and REAL education in the sciences. That's where the world is moving - forward with science and tech.
Mauna Kea could be a testament and symbol of the past and the future looking at the heavens. They could have a cultural place like a museum showcasing Polynesian exploration and have the TMT. Increasing tourism revenue, Hawaiian history education and science at the same time.
But no. No negotiations. Throw a tantrum on the road. Some people want it barren, "sacred" ; breaking the law and laughing at our State.
Deeds Not Words

Kuleana

« Reply #623 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
There's no argument.  Just being entertained by the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.

What makes you think you know the true intent of the original poster?  Can you read his mind or is that another of your aliases?

Lunatic mind?  Well, coming from a Obama admirer, I am the one who is entertained.

mrgaf

« Reply #624 on: August 15, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
What makes you think you know the true intent of the original poster?  Can you read his mind or is that another of your aliases?

Lunatic mind?  Well, coming from a Obama admirer, I am the one who is entertained.

Oh crap...here we go again! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

Kuleana

« Reply #625 on: August 15, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
lets recap:
out of all the places to protest or "protect" and illegally obstruct a public roadway they chose a telescope. We have several "occupying" active military bases and UNITED STATES government installations that they could block access to and they chose the lowest hanging fruit of them all.
I smell .... {House Party reference}

Camp Smith got only one road in and out.
MCBH too.
and let's not forget those ICBM silos in the middle of the old pineapple fields.

Patience is a virtue.

With runaway national debt, countries on the verge of dumping the US Dollar, unsustainable military bases, racist divides among its population, illegal immigrants flooding through its southern borders, the birth rates of liberals increasing fasters than conservatives, talk of civil war II, and the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights continuously being trampled on by all three branches of its federal government, the restoration of the Hawaiian nation, Texas, and possibly the birth of smaller nations of what was once the USA might come unexpectedly sooner than people think.

We, Hawaiians, can afford to take our time and enjoy the show!      :shaka:

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »

No.  But I can read the words he wrote and comprehend the meaning.

Seems to be a skill SOME on this thread lack.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2019, 08:40:58 PM »
Patience is a virtue.

With runaway national debt, countries on the verge of dumping the US Dollar, unsustainable military bases, racist divides among its population, illegal immigrants flooding through its southern borders, the birth rates of liberals increasing fasters than conservatives, talk of civil war II, and the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights continuously being trampled on by all three branches of its federal government, the restoration of the Hawaiian nation, Texas, and possibly the birth of smaller nations of what was once the USA might come unexpectedly sooner than people think.

We, Hawaiians, can afford to take our time and enjoy the show!      :shaka:

conjecture. Nothing substantiates those claims about the US decline. There are more Hawaiian factions than there is hope or patience.
Deeds Not Words

Kuleana

« Reply #628 on: August 15, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
conjecture. Nothing substantiates those claims about the US decline. There are more Hawaiian factions than there is hope or patience.

There have been many books on the topic of the US in decline; in fact, there have been threads regarding civil war II, Antifa, illegal immigrants, and economic collapse in this very forum that discuss their contribution to the decline of the US as well.

drck1000

« Reply #629 on: August 15, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
There have been many books on the topic of the US in decline
There have been many books about Bigfoot, Lochness, etc. So all that must be true too then.  :thumbsup:

Kuleana

« Reply #630 on: August 15, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
There have been many books about Bigfoot, Lochness, etc. So all that must be true too then.  :thumbsup:

People can deny the signs all they want.

There are obviously those in this very forum who think otherwise given the number of threads talking about those issues.

drck1000

« Reply #631 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:47 PM »
Constantly repeating opinion over and over and over and over and over and over won’t magically make it fact...

Kuleana

« Reply #632 on: August 15, 2019, 09:07:48 PM »
Constantly repeating opinion over and over and over and over and over and over won’t magically make it fact...

Don't know what opinion you are talking about.

punaperson

« Reply #633 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
Don't know what opinion you are talking about.
You wouldn't. It has to do with reality.

Kuleana

« Reply #634 on: August 16, 2019, 06:57:52 AM »
You wouldn't. It has to do with reality.

Well, I hope you enjoy living with the never-ever-going-to-change Democratic Party control reality in your daily life in Hawaii.

punaperson

« Reply #635 on: August 16, 2019, 07:45:45 AM »
Well, I hope you enjoy living with the never-ever-going-to-change Democratic Party control reality in your daily life in Hawaii.
Well, I hope you enjoy living with the delusional world of never-ever-going-to-be restoration of the "kingdom" or the "republic". That's all you've got, because you obviously won't reply to the challenges to your false statements, but instead blather one inanity or another, like the above. And you wonder why people don't take you and the secessionist fantasy-land liars seriously?

punaperson

« Reply #636 on: August 16, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Excellent, extremely lengthy piece by Ken Conklin (yes, he does not have Ph.D. in "hawaiian studies", his Ph.D. is in another field, as if that has anything to do with the validity of what he writes) countering a propaganda piece published in the Kauai newspaper.

https://historymystery.kenconklin.org

Here is Conklin's letter in the Tribune Herald today, referencing the article he rebuts:

Sylvia Dahlby [letter published today in Tribune Herald] said “I’m not without sympathy for the sovereignty movement, and how the Hawaiian people have been treated”

Well Sylvia, I AM without sympathy for the sovereignty movement, and one reason is that the ethnic Hawaiians have been treated far better than any other ethnic group. They have all the same benefits everyone else gets, PLUS more than a thousand racial entitlement programs available only to people who have at least one drop of the magic blood. But that's not enough. There will never be enough to make the activists happy.

On Friday Aug 9 retired lawyer, judge, and mayor Bill Fernandez authored a lengthy commentary in The Garden Island [Kaua'i newspaper] supporting the Mauna Kea protesters on account of a very long list of historical grievances, most of which are either false or badly twisted. Please read my point-by-point rebuttal debunking those falsehoods. Typical junk we see all the time -- here are the bad things that have made us victims, now you owe us reparations like stopping TMT.

The rebuttal is too lengthy to place here as a comment or to publish in the print edition. You can find it by doing copy/paste of the following line of 4 keywords into your browser window or google
history mystery hawaii conklin

RSN172

« Reply #637 on: August 16, 2019, 09:23:32 AM »
This morning HNN said the reason the police did not remove the protesters was because they were greatly outnumbered and were afraid the situation would turn violent if they started to use force.  They are seeking a “peaceful “ solution.  Looks like the protesters will be allowed to stay there as long as they want.

Kuleana

« Reply #638 on: August 16, 2019, 10:02:56 AM »
This morning HNN said the reason the police did not remove the protesters was because they were greatly outnumbered and were afraid the situation would turn violent if they started to use force.  They are seeking a “peaceful “ solution.  Looks like the protesters will be allowed to stay there as long as they want.

Civil Disobedience at its best!

Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King would have been proud!

Kuleana

« Reply #639 on: August 16, 2019, 10:11:56 AM »
Well, I hope you enjoy living with the delusional world of never-ever-going-to-be restoration of the "kingdom" or the "republic". That's all you've got, because you obviously won't reply to the challenges to your false statements, but instead blather one inanity or another, like the above. And you wonder why people don't take you and the secessionist fantasy-land liars seriously?

What you, I, or this entire forum personally thinks in regard to this issue is irrelevant.      :thumbsup:

It is the civil authority and the US Government's view of its illegal annexation of Hawaii that matters and it seems from what we see with TMT, they do take it seriously.      :shaka: