Generational Differences (Read 18502 times)

drck1000

Re: Generational Differences
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
Another generational difference I notice is how people meet up.  Now, it's typically texts or group texts.  Then when you meet up, often needing to change plans on the fly.  First group can head to the next spot and text/call those that haven't arrived.  I think for HS and college, no cell phone then, I think we typically grouped up prior to heading out to the venue.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »
When I was young, we had 4 TV stations:  ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS which was hit or miss when tuning.

We had to plan our lives around the TV Guide schedules if we wanted to see something specific on TV.  Popular programs were scheduled in specific time slots to compete with other stations if TV execs believed that show could bring in higher ratings.

Now, we have infinite channels, subscription services and Internet content to entertain us.  Even without cable, I get more TV than I can ever watch.  And with DVRs, On Demand, and websites, including YouTube, missing a program seldom means you can't watch it later.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
When I was young, we had 4 TV stations:  ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS which was hit or miss when tuning.

We had to plan our lives around the TV Guide schedules if we wanted to see something specific on TV.  Popular programs were scheduled in specific time slots to compete with other stations if TV execs believed that show could bring in higher ratings.

Now, we have infinite channels, subscription services and Internet content to entertain us.  Even without cable, I get more TV than I can ever watch.  And with DVRs, On Demand, and websites, including YouTube, missing a program seldom means you can't watch it later.
Yup.  TV guide!  That's right.  I recall the national one available at the supermarket checkout was often wrong.  Needed the one that came with the Sunday paper. 

Now, I have DVR at home.  When I go to friends or family house without, I'm like, "hey I missed that, rewind it".  If they don't have DVR, then  :(

Heavies

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »
Discipline for naughty children is not the same as "hitting your children", there is a sharp distinction.

I'll just leave it at that..

drck1000

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »
Discipline for naughty children is not the same as "hitting your children", there is a sharp distinction.

I'll just leave it at that..
Very true, and was for me growing up.

And I know you can add to the discussion on generational thing.  ;D

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
When I was a boy, I could play anywhere in my neighborhood as long as I watched for cars, didn't bother anyone, didn't damage anyone's yard or stuff, and came home before dark. 

Now, parents are being reported to child protective services for letting their children play in their own front yard.  The mother was watching the child from the kitchen window as she did the dishes.

Mom questioned over son's solo outdoor playtime

A Texas mom started a parenting debate this month, blogging about her six-year-old
playing outside by himself.

She described her shock and anger when police and Child Protective Services came
knocking on her door, CBS News correspondent Manuel Bojorquez reports.

Kari Anne Roy knows all about the joys and challenges of raising a child. She has three
of them. Her youngest -- six-year-old Isaac -- recently gained the privilege of playing
outside alone for a few minutes.

Isaac said his rules were laid out for him: don't go past "the top of the hill where the stop
sign is."

But a seemingly well-intentioned neighbor brought Isaac back home one day.

"There was this kind of disconnect there that I was smiling and saying, 'yes he was
outside playing' and she was like, 'well, he was outside by himself' and I said, 'yes
he was outside by himself playing, as six-year-olds do,'" Roy said.

But it didn't end there. Soon, Roy had another knock on the door: a police officer
who questioned her, but left. A few days later, Child Protective Services (CPS)
arrived and questioned each of her children.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/protective-services-called-on-mom-for-letting-child-play-outside/
-- Melvin Udall

groveler

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
When I was a boy, I could play anywhere in my neighborhood as long as I watched for cars, didn't bother anyone, didn't damage anyone's yard or stuff, and came home before dark. 

Now, parents are being reported to child protective services for letting their children play in their own front yard.  The mother was watching the child from the kitchen window as she did the dishes.

Mom questioned over son's solo outdoor playtime

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/protective-services-called-on-mom-for-letting-child-play-outside/
"But a seemingly well-intentioned neighbor brought Isaac back home one day."

No adult could catch me age five and beyond.
I would never ever allow a strange adult to control me.
Perhaps Isaac is an idiot?
I was taught a healthy dis-trust of any and all strangers.
especially cops.
Probably saved me a lot of sorrow.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2020, 01:39:06 PM »
"But a seemingly well-intentioned neighbor brought Isaac back home one day."

No adult could catch me age five and beyond.
I would never ever allow a strange adult to control me.
Perhaps Isaac is an idiot?
I was taught a healthy dis-trust of any and all strangers.
especially cops.
Probably saved me a lot of sorrow.

If it was a neighbor, the kid may have known them.  Otherwise, the mom needs to teach to kid to yell and point, "STRANGER!! STRANGER!!"  If they grab your hand, biting is a reasonable next step.   :rofl:   :thumbsup:

Nowadays, families are expected to provide digital entertainment for all, so there's no reason to let kids out to play.  That's where the pedos are watching for targets of opportunity, don't you know.
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
Yeah, funny how life as a kid changed so much over a few(?) ;) generations.  Nowadays the kids only stay inside and play computer games.  And gotta be the newest and most expensive.  I admit I jealous with all the new gadgets that can entertain kids now.

When I was a kid whatever was on hand were our entertainment toys.   Broken picket fence pieces can be shaped into a Roman sword, complete with handguard if you're lucky enough to find a short piece and a rusty nail to hammer with a rock into the longer stick.  Then you steal (well, borrow actually) your neighbor's garbage can cover and that becomes your shield.  You are now a member of the Roman Legions....

By the way, the garbage can covers are not like the ones we have today.  These are actual garbage cans made of metal.  The covers had a handle to open/close in the middle.  Almost all the neighbors garbage cans were missing covers when the kids on the block decided to "go to war".

Quite a bit of picket fences were intentionally broken too..... :rofl:

Playing marbles in the dirt with the neighbor kids. 

Mountain ball with a discovered bust up tennis ball and mop handle. 

Slipping our parents slippahs under our t-shirts to simulate shoulder pads so we would play tackle football.  Some kids were fortunate enough to have the real pads and helmets.  Show offs.....

But yeah.  Running around the neighborhood was as normal as apple pie.  When the sun started to set and dusk was upon us, one by one our mamas would come out the front porch and yell for us to come home.  As we come running they would remind us to wash our feet.  Our feet would be caked with the dirt and dust of our plantation community.

Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Rocky

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Penny candy stores or 5 and dime vs ... ABS ?
Chewed road tar for gum. vs vape  :wacko:
Sting ray bike with banana seat, sissy bar and extended forks made it "Walking Wheelie World"  :rofl: vs ....not sure cuz deze fat lil bugga's no stay go outside !
Ukus were dealt with a skinned head or kerosene  :shake: :shake:

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »
Growing up, couldn't wait to go outside an play.  Usually started with one of my neighbors and then go to house of next friend and give the "can XXX come out and play".  Well, not really, but close.  Haha.  Run around, wherever we could go and be back by sundown.  When we all had bikes, our "range" got further.  Good times.  Learned pretty quick the consequences of not making it back home in time and no call. 

I hang out with the kids of two of my best friends.  Age ranges from 16 to around 10.  They all play together.  We've been making it a point to have them come outside and play.  Started with buying them footballs and other stuff and having them play with us.  That gets tired for me, but eh, it's fun.  Now the older two are taking an interest in dirt bike riding and one of my friends is really into it.  So a good mix. 

Get outside and play!  Love that. 

Penny candy stores or 5 and dime vs ... ABS ?
Chewed road tar for gum. vs vape  :wacko:
Sting ray bike with banana seat, sissy bar and extended forks made it "Walking Wheelie World"  :rofl: vs ....not sure cuz deze fat lil bugga's no stay go outside !
Ukus were dealt with a skinned head or kerosene  :shake: :shake:

5 cents store.  I've heard of them.  Like 50 years ago.   :rofl:

Last week, we were talking about bikes, like GT and stuff.  How if you had GT, you were ballin' as a kid. 

macsak

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
Growing up, couldn't wait to go outside an play.  Usually started with one of my neighbors and then go to house of next friend and give the "can XXX come out and play".  Well, not really, but close.  Haha.  Run around, wherever we could go and be back by sundown.  When we all had bikes, our "range" got further.  Good times.  Learned pretty quick the consequences of not making it back home in time and no call. 

I hang out with the kids of two of my best friends.  Age ranges from 16 to around 10.  They all play together.  We've been making it a point to have them come outside and play.  Started with buying them footballs and other stuff and having them play with us.  That gets tired for me, but eh, it's fun.  Now the older two are taking an interest in dirt bike riding and one of my friends is really into it.  So a good mix. 

Last week, we were talking about bikes, like GT and stuff.  How if you had GT, you were ballin' as a kid.

yup, we used to play tag and hide and seek and skyeening (one word)
ride bike or catch bus to ala moana or misuokoshi's or kaimuki cue
only rule was to be back by dinnertime...

ren

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2020, 03:55:17 PM »

I had a GT Performer. Then I had a paper route and got a General RL Osbourne ...rarest of frames now. at least $1k on eBay. Wish I didn't give it away :'(
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2020, 03:57:46 PM »
yup, we used to play tag and hide and seek and skyeening (one word)
ride bike or catch bus to ala moana or misuokoshi's or kaimuki cue
only rule was to be back by dinnertime...
For us, was PC cue and Jellys or another comic book store.  Summer school time, it depended which school hosted summer school.  We had a bright idea one day to ride bikes from my friend's house in Aiea to Ala Moana.  Eff me that was far! 

drck1000

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2020, 03:59:42 PM »
I had a GT Performer. Then I had a paper route and got a General RL Osbourne ...rarest of frames now. at least $1k on eBay. Wish I didn't give it away :'(
Those were the $hit.  The cables down the frame so that steering wheel could go all the way around.  No matter as none of use could do those fancy tricks, but was still cool.  Or those folding pegs on the front and back wheels. 

My grandpa bought me my first bike from Eki Cyclery.  I don't remember what happened to that bike. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2020, 04:17:41 PM »

In our NC town, we had a McLellan's Store 5c.  Our area was too poor for a Five & Dime Store!   :rofl:

Early version of Walmart.  We did all our school supplies shopping there most of my elementary school days.  Bic Stick pens, pencils, erasers, crayons, ... all the normal stuff. 

I remember 1st grade using those 1-inch diameter pencils and tablets that had rough paper with splinters still in it, and if you tried to erase a mistake, the paper ripped all the way across!  The lines were the tall solid-dashed-solid pattern for practicing writing the alphabet and numbers.

The cool kids had plastic pencil boxes with sliding covers.  I had to use an old cigar box.  My grandmother worked at a bowling alley snack bar, so she would bring home the empty boxes for us to use for all kinds of storage.   :thumbsup:

Speaking of the bowling alley..........

Next post!   :geekdanc:
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
Frye's Lake Lanes bowling alley was/is still on a large area of land.  It changed many times over the years, but they always kept the bowling alley.

The main building had 10 lanes for a long time, then added 6 more after they got rid of the slot car racing.  There were 2 rooms on that side of the building -- a really large one with a huge raised table slot car track.  Next to that was a daycare for the customers to use while they bowled, raced slots, or whatever.  The daycare used to be slots, too, but they made it a daycare after the slot car interest started to drop.

The opposite side of the lanes was a Roller Rink.  Kind of smallish for a rink, but it was enough until it wasn't.  Then they built a new rink in a separate building.  I spent so many Saturdays there!  My mom could drop my brother and me off before the rink opened, We'd skate until we were bored or the rink closed, then walk to the bowling alley and bowl until my mom picked us up.  If the owner wasn't around, the manager would only charge us for one or two games after bowling as many as 10 sometimes.

We'd eat at the snack bar, and we'd hang out and stay out of trouble --- mostly.  My sister was the youngest, so if she stayed, we'd go bug her in the daycare.

The place was called Lake Lanes because Mr. Frye built a huge lake between the bowling and the roller rink.  It was really nice.  Concessions, slides, all kinds of playground type platforms to jump from, ...  Almost like being at the beach, only with more stuff.  Behind the bowling building was a set of train tracks.  They ran an old timey locomotive with open seat cars.  They had a few animals in pens to stare at as the train went around.  The whole ride went through a wooded area, so it was pretty cool. 

After the mid 60s, my mom took us to the lake and said it would be the last time.  She told us the lake was closing the following week.  This was right after the civil rights marches (riots in some areas).  I remember some tense nights when there was talk of potential violence in our town, but I can't remember anything ever happening.  Turns out, Mr. Frye was a bit of a racist.  This was North Carolina, so not unheard of.  He learned the new laws would make him allow "negroes" (the accepted term at the time) to use his lake.  He said he'd never let "them" swim in his lake, so he closed it.  My mom said he had some idea that they would make it harder to keep the lake clean.  I was young and never quite understood what was going on.  It was all "grown up talk" to me.

I saw Mr. Frye in person a few times.  Never really liked him. Something about him was scary to me as a little kid.  The manager of the bowling alley was Coy Drye.  Very nice man -- almost a father figure since we were there so much.  Always looked out for my brother and me when my grandmother was busy serving snack bar customers.

It's amazing how much time we spent on that property.  So much to do.  So many changes.  I pretty much grew up there.

I don't see that kind of amusement property much anymore.  Wet'nWild is close, but it's so expensive.  Plus, I'm not sure I'd leave 3rd or 4th graders there on their own.
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
Ooh. Who remembers Castle Park?

;D

QUIETShooter

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »
Me...... :(
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

drck1000

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
Me...... :(
I went there only a handful of times before they closed. Remember their waffle cone ice cream was awesome.