Safes: Digital vs. Mechanical (reboot) (Read 1236 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Safes: Digital vs. Mechanical (reboot)
« on: January 30, 2021, 04:42:21 PM »
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?topic=24715

That topic is more than 365 days old.  So, instead of resurrecting it, I'll just link it in...& it links to another thread, .... & so one, & so on ....   >:D

I've had my Rhino Big Horn safe from Costco for about 8 years now.  I'm starting to see a bit of degradation in the keypad.  Numbers are starting to show wear (which gives others a clue as to which numbers might be in the combo), and the "beep" is a bit weaker when indicating the last number has unlocked the lock.  I just replaced the battery in December, so I doubt that's a problem.  I metered the battery, and it is still above 9V.

So, instead of waiting for the inevitable failure and dealing with having to break into my safe, plus the immediate need of having to change the combo to avoid people using worn numbers to guess at it, I think it's time to replace it.

I found a video with a link to a dial lock that should work.  The price of that one was a bit higher than I thought it should be, and after searching Amazon, I found the same model for less:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EDF466/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added my Debit Card to my Amazon wallet, giving me a $10 credit.  After tax, total price is $73.72 w/Free Prime shipping

I also found a good video on installing a replacement safe lock. 

Not the same safe, but the tips and instructions still apply. 
Main thing is to hold the relocking bar in place so it doesn't
have to be pulled back up when installing the relocking plate.

This guy gives a detailed walkthrough of his converted Big Horn
safe with the dial lock.  His video was where I found the
higher-priced Amazon link:

Both videos go into detail, so they aren't the most entertaining.   :sleeping:  The Big Horn video was shot with the camera positioned or zoomed in too tightly to make it easy to watch, but it's better than being too far out and missing the detail.

Anyone have experience with this lock?

Sargent & Greenleaf S&G Model 6730-100 Mechanical Safe Lock Kit

Any DIY dial lock installers with tips or tricks to share?

I may actually video the installation myself and post it. 

We'll see if I can do two things at once without screwing them both up.  I've read that only Millennials can multi-task!  :geekdanc: :rofl:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

robtmc

Re: Safes: Digital vs. Mechanical (reboot)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 11:00:06 AM »
Going to need a safe for my new Arizona place in the future, and a Costco safe might be the easiest to get in a timely manner.

Will be watching replies here for future use.

Lihikai

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 01:03:40 PM »
I replaced my digital lock with a dial lock.  Instead of the S&G 6730 I was able to find a similar La Gard lock on eBay for less.  Installation process is the same and not difficult for the average mechanically inclined person.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 01:10:26 PM »
I replaced my digital lock with a dial lock.  Instead of the S&G 6730 I was able to find a similar La Gard lock on eBay for less.  Installation process is the same and not difficult for the average mechanically inclined person.

What brand/model safe did you convert?  Do you have the dial lock model number you bought?

:shaka:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Lihikai

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 01:24:09 PM »
American Security safe model 6032.  I bought it used about 15 years ago.  Not sure of the model of the LaGard lock - I replaced the lock some years ago after the electronic lock started to go bad.  I think I paid about $40.

mrgaf

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
Ha haha I went the other way.... my dial lock was acting up and the old lady had problems opening the safe since I bought it back in 2001 (Browning Medallion). Bought. 2 Browning digital locks (one for spare just in case) 4 years ago and install was a breeze. They are pretty heavy duty as well. I wipe the keypad occasionally and change the combo every year. Must admit I never thought about wear on the pad but mine looks good. Good advice!  :thumbsup:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.