Online Gun Registration HPD (Read 596 times)

Tacticoolest

Online Gun Registration HPD
« on: November 13, 2023, 02:54:16 PM »
Here's what I got from an email from HPD firearms department
"Aloha,
Thank you for your patience.
The online registration is backlogged 4-5 weeks.  You cannot use the firearm until you get the registration in an email from HPD. If you want the registration sooner you can come in person, no firearm needed, to register. You will need the information on the firearm, a picture/copy of the permit, and a picture of the serial number off the firearm.
If you have any questions please call (808) 723-3188"

Funny thing, it took me less than a day to purchase a handgun and take it home, but I can use it for another 2 to 3 weeks🙄 unless I go to HPD to register the gun in person.

“You Want A War, Or You Want To Just Give Me A Gun?” JW

changemyoil66

Re: Online Gun Registration HPD
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 03:28:03 PM »
Here's what I got from an email from HPD firearms department
"Aloha,
Thank you for your patience.
The online registration is backlogged 4-5 weeks.  You cannot use the firearm until you get the registration in an email from HPD. If you want the registration sooner you can come in person, no firearm needed, to register. You will need the information on the firearm, a picture/copy of the permit, and a picture of the serial number off the firearm.
If you have any questions please call (808) 723-3188"

Funny thing, it took me less than a day to purchase a handgun and take it home, but I can use it for another 2 to 3 weeks🙄 unless I go to HPD to register the gun in person.

There is nothing in the law that states you need to keep the registration with the gun.  If you keep the confirmation, then it's on HPD for not processing things in a timely manner.  Because even if you couldn't use it according to HPD, you are still in procession of it at home.  Which means you still have an "unregistered firearm".

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 03:56:47 PM »
There is nothing in the law that states you need to keep the registration with the gun.  If you keep the confirmation, then it's on HPD for not processing things in a timely manner.  Because even if you couldn't use it according to HPD, you are still in procession of it at home.  Which means you still have an "unregistered firearm".

if you already submitted the registration request, and the gun was acquired legally, there's nothing stopping you from using it.

I think this is another HPD control mechanism that's caused by their lack of ability to keep up with all the requirements they created for gun transfers.

There's nothing that says you can't use the gun during the 5-days between pickup and registration.  Therefore there's nothing that prohibits you from using it if they are dragging their feet a few more weeks.

A right delayed is a right denied.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

zippz

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 04:56:11 PM »
That's an interesting take on it.  If the gun isn't considered registered during that time, that means you're illegally breaking the registration law by not doing it within 5 days of acquisition.

I guess if you get pulled over, the police will check their computer system and it won't show your registered gun and will then arrest you.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Sodie

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 05:01:38 PM »
That's an interesting take on it.  If the gun isn't considered registered during that time, that means you're illegally breaking the registration law by not doing it within 5 days of acquisition.

I guess if you get pulled over, the police will check their computer system and it won't show your registered gun and will then arrest you.

That’d make for an interesting court fight.  Can’t see how the state would win that one.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 06:36:16 PM »
They make the laws yet they don't have the manpower to enforce it.

So funny this stupid state and county.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 07:00:18 PM »
They make the laws yet they don't have the manpower to enforce it.

So funny this stupid state and county.

I remember when the Post-Sandy Hook Gun Hearings chaired by VP Biden came up with that gemstone:  The solution to having too few resources to enforce existing gun laws should not be more gun laws.

I guess it's a by-product of being an elected official:  Memory of a Goldfish.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall