2A: what does it really say? (Read 6967 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: 2A: what does it really say?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:41 PM »
I agree but people love to argue the militia point.

There was a standing Army at that time.   The militia (armed citizenry) is also needed in time of defense.

The militia is like the reserves and guard today. They get called up to augment regular troops. Without weapons and practice, the militia can be, and was often, ineffective.

If you watched Mel Gibson's "The Patriot", you'll remember actual historical facts that Cornwallis had little respect or fear of the colonial militia. Almost all were undisciplined, unskilled and poorly equipped.

These are "lessons learned" which were rolled into the 2A.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

z06psi

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
The militia is like the reserves and guard today. They get called up to augment regular troops. Without weapons and practice, the militia can be, and was often, ineffective.

If you watched Mel Gibson's "The Patriot", you'll remember actual historical facts that Cornwallis had little respect or fear of the colonial militia. Almost all were undisciplined, unskilled and poorly equipped.

These are "lessons learned" which were rolled into the 2A.

That is the misconception that people try to argue. 

Reserves are Federal troops.

NG is state run until activated as regular federal troops.

All four components are part of the Active military.  AC, RC, AGR, and NG.  All of those forces are well regulated in themselves through training.

The movie you reference shows normal citizens that took up arms.  Hence my point even though that is not any evidence to my point other than being Hollywood.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
That is the misconception that people try to argue. 

Reserves are Federal troops.

NG is state run until activated as regular federal troops.

All four components are part of the Active military.  AC, RC, AGR, and NG.  All of those forces are well regulated in themselves through training.

The movie you reference shows normal citizens that took up arms.  Hence my point even though that is not any evidence to my point other than being Hollywood.

There's no way to really compare colonial America and the US today. They were 13 colonies under British rule. Britain was the "federal Gov't" if you need a comparison point.

Our national structure is unique. While countries like Canada have provinces, we have states that are granted all powers not reserved for the federal gov't. Never been done that way before.

So, trying to make comparisons between colonial militias and today's state NG and US reserves is not going to be a perfect parallel.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

z06psi

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »
I know Hawaii doesn't really have a militia but most states here on the mainland have them. It is compromised of the citizenry.  Not the military.

z06psi

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »

Q

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 09:01:29 AM »
10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

zippz

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 09:56:46 AM »
HRA may have roots to a Hawaii militia.  It traces its roots back over 100 years.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu