Share Your Pake Projects You Are Working On.... (Read 2356 times)

Inspector

Share Your Pake Projects You Are Working On....
« on: April 08, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
I have different types of projects I work on, on my reloading bench. Some are repairs, others are mounting sights, some are the usual brass prep and reloading. But sometimes I do what I call a pake project. A pake project is something you do to save a few dollars. And is probably not worth the effort or time but you still do it.

My recent pake project involves one hundred ten military 30 06 cases I got for free. These cases date range from 1942 to 1969. Mixed headstamps. Crimped primers and very dirty. Good 30 06 cases can cost up to $1 a piece brand new and around $0.50 a piece once fired and prepped. I decided that even though these are old and probably more brittle than new cases I decided to do a full prep on them even though they probably won't last much more than 3-5 loadings. It would just be easier to buy prepped once fired and I could save a couple hours of time. But I am OCD when it comes to saving a few bucks.

So what kinda pake project are you working on right now?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

Re: Share Your Pake Projects You Are Working On....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:10:05 PM »
Re brittle old 3006 brass....

Ever tried annealing those? I got a bunch myself.
What, Me Worry?

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
Home made refrigerator magnets.

Looks simple but it's not
What, Me Worry?

K30l4

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Home made refrigerator magnets.

Looks simple but it's not
This one deserves a thread if its own. That looks really neat! I am cutious to know how its made.

changemyoil66

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
All my gun stuff....actually not pake, but best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Oh boy, loads of stuff.
I have been thinking about how to make a wire stripper so I could recycle copper wire for a higher value even though I don't have enough to make it worthwhile.
Rather than buying an angle piece for the dust port on my chop say I drilled two large holes in a block of wood at a right angle.

I am getting my wife's wedding dress hemmed and am going to dye it so she can still get use out of it as a normal dress. (Not a normal elaborate wedding dress, a simple white one)
I turned .40 cal casings into tire valve covers recently.

My big make project is an end grain redwood flooring. I have to cut 1500 tiles 1" thick from a 4x4 redwood beam. Going to be a lot of work but the total per foot flooring cost comes out to about $2.30 and this will be a good heavy duty beautiful floor (I hope)

whynow?

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
My last one was making steel brackets to secure my window AC units.   Also made a 2X4 wood frame which prevents the lower one from being pushed in.
Thought I was living in FT. Knox until  the security camera guy told me about window AC security to prevent units from being pushed.