Where to buy bullet resistant wall panels? (Read 3867 times)

eyeeatingfish

Where to buy bullet resistant wall panels?
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
I have tried calling a couple of supply stores but haven't found any yet. They come in 4'x8' sheets and appear to be a fiberglass type material. They only seem to be rated to stop pistol rounds.

So anyone know who brings these in? I saw a construction company working with them once but forgot to ask the guy in charge.

RSN172

Re: Where to buy bullet resistant wall panels?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:46:04 AM »
These panels are heavy, thick and expensive, like $3000 for a 4x8 ft size sheet.  They also cannot be cut with ordinary tools.  Are you building a bunker?

Rocky

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
Cheaper to sandwich sheet steel w/ thick drywall
Multiple layers of lexan.
or see crazy Russian vid
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
What calibers? 

I can look up what the wall assemblies are for the indoor ranges that we specify for .mil standards. 

The last range I helped certify I believe was rated for .308.  That "help" was mostly checking the ventilation as the actual range was a manufactured container built to specific specs. 

Heavies

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:38:49 AM »
Cheaper to sandwich sheet steel w/ thick drywall
Multiple layers of lexan.
or see crazy Russian vid

I was thinking the same thing, and this question stemming from "shooting lanes" discussion. 
Maybe experiment with different materials, that might be cheaply and easily available, that would stop, or significantly impede, your chosen round for home defense, within reason?   say, would stop a 9mm 147grn hollow point?

Of course, if something did get through, and someone injured, would that increase your own liability?

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Or duct tape all those phone books we see at the bottom of a buildings lobby.

Surf

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »
They do make rifle rated panels, but the ratings are not equated the same as body armor.  Check out http://www.armorcore.com/site/media/Flyer_ArmorCore_Commercial.pdf and this site give ideas on panel size, rating and price https://covenantsecurityequipment.com/products/level-1-bullet-resistant-panels-3-x-8?variant=919159603220.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:22:39 AM »
I saw one company on the internet that had a number of different thicknesses of the panels. I was thinking about making a torso size Shield that I could carry around. I know that if I where to go into materials rated for rifle rounds The Shield would get very heavy, even if only fiberglass type material.

Initially I was hoping I could get a partial sheet as I would only need a square about 20 in by 30 in. I was thinking that if I had to purchase a whole sheet then I could cut it up into Shields and sell them to other people to recover my cost. The guy on Demolition Ranch tested a product that was made of metal and stopped all the handgun rounds he threw at it. It was about $300 and I was thinking maybe that is easier then making my own. I know that size of ar500 deal would get quite heavy. The shield in this video appears to be not as thick but relatively impressive. I do enjoy building my own devices to save money even if sometimes the time put into it isn't worth it.

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 09:08:46 AM »
Thinner ar500 should stop most pistol rounds, maybe with some kind of backer.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
I found the specs for the modular range (shooting range inside a shipping container) that we did on Kauai a few years ago.  The walls and ceiling were 3/8" AR500 steel (with a Brinell hardness rating of 500).  I thought the walls and ceiling were the standard container sheet metal with layers of composite materials on the inside.  Maybe that was a different range.  I recall the Kauai one having what looked like a composite fiberglass panels on the inside, but that may have been purely for acoustics. 

I remember talking to the rep for the company that manufactured the container and I thought they designed and sold ballistic wall panels for home construction and other applications.  They are Shooting Range Industries out of Las Vegas.  This was a few years ago, so not sure if they are even still in business. 

davgdavg

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 03:01:33 PM »
A roll of kevlar and some good epoxy would be relatively cheap. Making a flat mold is really easy, the hardest part is dealing with the humidity issues here in Hawaii, but if you had an indoor space you might be able to make panels to your heart's desire. Back it with some mild steel and I bet you'd have one hell of a bullet stopper.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 03:13:05 PM »
A roll of kevlar and some good epoxy would be relatively cheap. Making a flat mold is really easy, the hardest part is dealing with the humidity issues here in Hawaii, but if you had an indoor space you might be able to make panels to your heart's desire. Back it with some mild steel and I bet you'd have one hell of a bullet stopper.

There is a guy who did this on youtube. It looked fun but definitely messy.

Ultimately I might just buy that shield in the video. Even if it is more expensive than the bullet resistant panels it might save me a lot of time.

RSN172

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »
That looks like a pretty good shield to me.  I wish he had tested it against a 5.56 round, which would be the mot likely rifle a perp would use.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »
Seems like most ballistic shields on the market are only rated for pistol rounds.