Turkey Hunting Advice (Read 11380 times)

kala201

Turkey Hunting Advice
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Looking at getting back into hunting.  I used to hunt pig when I was a teen, but now I have issues with shooting four legged animals.  They look too much like my dog, which I actually may love more than my wife.  Anyways I want to get into turkey hunting.  How hard is it?  Do I need all that camo gear you see the hunters on the mainland use?  How many use bows and how many of you use shotguns?  I will be hunting up on the Big Island on both private and public lands.

Thanks  :shaka:

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Turkey Hunting Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
I hunt my turkeys at Safeway, usually the frozen 15-18lb. variety.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

Inspector

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
Don't frozen turkeys EXPLODE when you shoot them with an AR??? :rofl:
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
You should see everybody hit the deck when I go hunting for turkey.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

codeblue808

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »

lol  :D

jc2721

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
If you want to talk turkey hunting, the guy to talk to is Deane Gonzales.  I don't have a contact number for him but I'm pretty sure he works for, or owns Madeira Foods (something like that).  He specializes in wild game meats.

Dblnaknak

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
There are turkeys on Oahu that you can hunt. They are smart bastards.

Teichi

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/rules/Ch122/Ch122_OahuExhib.pdf

Turkeys are not on the hunting list for Oahu.

SpeedTek

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Car Nut, Machinist, Gunsmith & Monkey
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • X-Ring on the WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 04:25:18 PM »
I think u cant shoot them here. You can slaughter them.

Besides they out number us everywhere you go!  I think of turkeys everytime i drive down the street and they run across the street. Especially in waikiki against the crosswalk.
Political Correctness is FOS
I collect M1 Carbines, PM me if youre selling!
& Bolt Action 308s also 10/22 Rugers.
Buying STOCK Ruger 10/22 parts and bits, PM me.
Now doing Vintage VW Parts!

Dblnaknak

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »
Turkeys are available to hunt on Oahu. You just have to know where they are. It's not listed on the DLNR website. They were introduced about 8 years ago.

DuckFat

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
I think u cant shoot them here. You can slaughter them.

Besides they out number us everywhere you go!  I think of turkeys everytime i drive down the street and they run across the street. Especially in waikiki against the crosswalk.
:rofl:

Turkeys are available to hunt on Oahu. You just have to know where they are. It's not listed on the DLNR website. They were introduced about 8 years ago.
But if they don't issue the tags then you can't take them, legally.
What if rhinos are just fat unicorns?

Dblnaknak

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
A bird hunting license in Hawaii allows you to hunt birds. Unless they somehow evolved recently, a turkey is a bird.

DuckFat

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
A bird hunting license in Hawaii allows you to hunt birds. Unless they somehow evolved recently, a turkey is a bird.
I stand corrected, tags are for the special season hunts.

bass monkey

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
There's signs up makua/keau for hunting turkey. State hunting signs. There are also some up kuaokala. They just got changed recently I believe so they are on the hunt list.

Teichi

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:45 AM »
Found This....

Island of O‘ahu
KUAOKALA Game Management Area (UNIT 1) AND MOKULEIA Public Hunting Area (UNIT 2) will be open on weekends and State Holidays from November 5, 2011 through January 16, 2012.  Hunters must check in and out of the Ka‘ena Point Satellite Tracking Station Access Road.  Species occurring in this area include ring-necked pheasant (common and blue variety), Erckel’s francolin, black francolin, gray francolin, chukar partridge, barred dove, and spotted dove, with bag limits as listed in Chapter 122, Rules Regulating Game Bird Hunting.  HUNTING OF WILD TURKEYS IS STILL PROHIBITED in all public and private hunting areas to allow the population to reach a level suitable for hunting in the future.

I recommend checking all the game laws before you try to shoot something illegally and get your guns, vehicle, and ammo confiscated and slapped with a hefty fine.

DuckFat

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:26:33 AM »
Found This....

Island of O‘ahu
KUAOKALA Game Management Area (UNIT 1) AND MOKULEIA Public Hunting Area (UNIT 2) will be open on weekends and State Holidays from November 5, 2011 through January 16, 2012.  Hunters must check in and out of the Ka‘ena Point Satellite Tracking Station Access Road.  Species occurring in this area include ring-necked pheasant (common and blue variety), Erckel’s francolin, black francolin, gray francolin, chukar partridge, barred dove, and spotted dove, with bag limits as listed in Chapter 122, Rules Regulating Game Bird Hunting.  HUNTING OF WILD TURKEYS IS STILL PROHIBITED in all public and private hunting areas to allow the population to reach a level suitable for hunting in the future.

I recommend checking all the game laws before you try to shoot something illegally and get your guns, vehicle, and ammo confiscated and slapped with a hefty fine.
Ahh yes I was looking to see if they mentioned anything specific about turkeys. Also wanted to add that a hunting license with a stamp is for game birds and only if the season is declared. Seasons can also be extended or shortened depending on the population.

clshade

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
If I recall correctly, ONLY birds listed can be hunted. A license lets you hunt any listed bird but if its not on the list it is not... fair game.

Hence the term - "fair game."

Dregs

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 03:58:20 PM »
Just claim self defense if you shoot a bird not on the approved list.

Primez808

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 01:40:18 AM »
Turkey here on big island are pretty tame in my experience, even the ones not living near condos and hotels but I gotta tell you they taste like ass. I think it's the volcanic soil or something but they're nothing like the wild turkey you find on the mainland. Not nearly as big or territorial either

paulb3

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
Most people I know on the Big Island use shotgun and they usually just smoke the breast meat the rest of the bird is too much work to make palatable.