Hurricane season (Read 31660 times)

Aiea78

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Grab em by the handles
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane season
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 03:25:41 AM »
This ever happen to anyone here?  Happened to me 2x now - liquid detergent jugs spring a leak at a corner making a mess of things.  So I have rotated all of them to the bottom of the rack below any electricals.  I figure the constant heat expansion and then cooling causes the jug to crack at the weak point.  Both were new and unopened jugs no idea how old and just sitting there nothing on top or leaning on them.   I have plenty bar soap plus borax and Oxy to make my own powdered laundry soap but never got around to it.  I think if I buy anymore store bought it will be powdered from now on.

Assault Rifle? What I have here is an Anti-Assault Rifle.
Proud Member 2016 2a Day Dozen open holster carry crew yo

Q

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:12 AM »
This ever happen to anyone here?  Happened to me 2x now - liquid detergent jugs spring a leak at a corner making a mess of things.  So I have rotated all of them to the bottom of the rack below any electricals.  I figure the constant heat expansion and then cooling causes the jug to crack at the weak point.  Both were new and unopened jugs no idea how old and just sitting there nothing on top or leaning on them.   I have plenty bar soap plus borax and Oxy to make my own powdered laundry soap but never got around to it.  I think if I buy anymore store bought it will be powdered from now on.

top corners or bottom?

containers are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, so could be quality control issue with the plastic itself.

Going to make my own detergent once the current bucket runs out; have a pretty killer recipe with zote soap that makes 10 gallons for half the price.

Also thinking about going to a manual 'emergency' washer full-time, as it seems to clean the clothes 100x better than a conventional washing machine, all while using 1/10 the water. First used this design in the Stan, and it definitely works wonders:

passivekinetic

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »

which brand? they probably use different quality containers for each brand.
"The sheep fear sheepdogs, because they fail to see the wolves."
- Anonymous

Rocky

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2015, 01:40:47 PM »
Does it look like this?
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.rERkZ8YPvsKGUD3Nswr5rg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
Nope, not the Jerry can look.
More like every day rectangular gas can except tan in color
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
A few changes after tonight...

- Cancelled the order on the coleman and rocket stove; figured they wouldn't get here in time (being that the storm arrives over the weekend  :shake: ) and luckily found my old camper stove. I have tons of cinder blocks, so I will just make a makeshift rocket like this:

Only change I will make is add another block on top to increase the chimney to 12in, as you want the length to be 3x the diameter of the hole.

This is a great idea but remember that common CMU are not firebrick and that at  prolonged and/or higher temperatures, may split/crack or even worse, "shatter splatter" projecting pieces of concrete.
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rocky

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »
I have had this happen once to an older detergent container, but I blamed that on stocking up too much and not being able to rotate it out fast enough. :grrr:
Always store liquids on the bottom and out of sunlight and as cool as possible.
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Q

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
   This is a great idea but remember that common CMU are not firebrick and that at  prolonged and/or higher temperatures, may split/crack or even worse, "shatter splatter" projecting pieces of concrete.
True, but good enough for a short time period.

If I could get my hands on some 3-4in square tubing, I'd just make my own

Rocky

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »
True, but good enough for a short time period.

If I could get my hands on some 3-4in square tubing, I'd just make my own
Get the actual clay chimney flue ( 8x8, 8x12, 12x12 etc...), heat resistant and insulatory( :wacko:).
Throw some fire brick around it or use more than one pieece and you can have an oven too
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:46 PM »

Rocky

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
thanks, rock
 :geekdanc:
No, no, no.  :grrr:
Your'e supposed to say "duck season" again.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

whynow?

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »
Nope, not the Jerry can look.
More like every day rectangular gas can except tan in color

Man if that was the one pictured I would buy 6 at that price.  The only tan ones I seen were the Scepter type. 
BTW I called Kailua HH today and they have a gray color water can for about $14-15, the tan ones were sold out. 
Thanks for the info.

Q

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »
Get the actual clay chimney flue ( 8x8, 8x12, 12x12 etc...), heat resistant and insulatory( :wacko:).
Throw some fire brick around it or use more than one pieece and you can have an oven too

If you buy it, I will accept it.

But for now, cinder blocks it is until the rocket gets here.

macsak

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
No, no, no.  :grrr:
Your'e supposed to say "duck season" again.

i know
but someone was complaining about people "wasting posts" saying things like "heads" "hugs" and "pizza"
so i thought i would refrain to save bits and bytes
 :stopjack:

whynow?

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2015, 12:02:42 PM »
Became TS Ela today.   Hard to remember the details when watching weather girl Kelly giving the info.   ;)

Q

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Became TS Ela today.   Hard to remember the details when watching weather girl Kelly giving the info.   ;)

Details: still expected to travel NE of the islands.

Biggest concern right now is the massive amounts of humidity it will draw up, which will make Hawaii feel like it's 95-100F.

wirecounter

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »
I am totally disgusted with the stupid plastic gas cans with the stupid spout that trickles out gas and drips too.  Totally worthless!

So, did some research and it appears that Jerry Cans are the way to go & specifically NATO spec Jerry Cans.  BUT, it is expensive ~ $119.00 for a 20 liter can from Amazon.  There are cheaper ones out there, but apparently not up to NATO spec.

Please post if you have found a better price for these . . .   

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:19:39 PM by wirecounter »

dustoff003

Hurricane season
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »
I am totally disgusted with the stupid plastic gas cans with the stupid spout that trickles out gas and drips too.  Totally worthless!

So, did some research and it appears that Jerry Cans are the way to go & specifically NATO spec Jerry Cans.  BUT, it is expensive ~ $119.00 for a 20 liter can from Amazon.  There are cheaper ones out there, but apparently not up to NATO spec.

Please post if you have found a better price for these . . .  :shaka:

https://shop.vtarmynavy.com/mobile/categories.aspx?Keyword=Wavian

whynow?

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2015, 02:06:41 PM »

Not the NATO cans but the NO-SPILL brand gas cans have worked well for me.  I have the 1.25 and 2.50 gal. cans and they don't spill/leak.   Need to press the green button to dispense fuel.   Priced well and available at City Mill, Ace etc. and also available in 5 gal.
 For my weed whacker and chainsaw gas and use once a week.  These are better than the other commercial plastic cans and thicker plastic.   Although I started buying the already blended 92 fuels like Stihl Moto-Mix for some power equipment and emergency use.

wirecounter

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »
Please post if you have found a better price for these . . .   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261744654442?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=560618417718&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A little more expensive than the dustoff's link, but FREE shipping.  Confirmed as I received one this past Saturday & it is the real deal and not a knock off.