New Colt Pythons! (Read 27435 times)

stangzilla

Re: New Colt Pythons!
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
Meecum auctions are auctioning the original Bullitt Mustang from Steve McQueen this weekend
My guess is it will go for over 500k
The new ones go for about 50k

My prediction of 500k was slightly off. It sold for 3.7 million $$
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/cars/bullitt-mustang-auction-record-price/index.html

stangzilla

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2020, 09:41:48 AM »

Some have a problem with the recessed crown

stangzilla

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2020, 09:45:40 AM »

Light primer strikes

Inspector

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2020, 11:14:56 AM »

Light primer strikes
More than that the cylinder stopped turning at one point as well. He needs to send it back and have the factory fix it.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »

Some have a problem with the recessed crown
This should have never left the factory like that. That is bad QC IMHO.

stangzilla

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2020, 05:12:40 PM »
Since weather was bad today, I dindnt go kokohead. Instead I went to a few LGS to check on ETA of the Python 
Result is nobody saying nothing. No ETA on the Python
I did, however, see a 1911 I really like. About same price as the Python.  >:D

changemyoil66

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
Got to handle 1 today, but not fire it. Idk what to compare it to, but it was cool.

Had a guy rotating the cylinder and said something about how its even .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:21:08 PM by changemyoil66 »

Inspector

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
Hickok 45 on the new Python.

And yes he had a problem with it at the end of his shooting the cylinder stopped turning. Sounds like a common problem.

stangzilla

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2020, 08:21:31 PM »

And yes he had a problem with it at the end of his shooting the cylinder stopped turning. Sounds like a common problem.

I just watched that too
Now, that 1911 I saw is looking better than this Python
I'd hate to get a Python that doesn't work right

Inspector

« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2020, 05:32:46 AM »
I just watched that too
Now, that 1911 I saw is looking better than this Python
I'd hate to get a Python that doesn't work right
I’m sure they will fix whatever the problem is. Since I am waiting before I buy one we will find out what the issue is and see if they recall the gun or just fix the problem on an individual basis. What I am concerned with is if it becomes a major recall, how that will affect Colt financially? Let’s face it, they are not terribly stable financially right now.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
I’m sure they will fix whatever the problem is. Since I am waiting before I buy one we will find out what the issue is and see if they recall the gun or just fix the problem on an individual basis. What I am concerned with is if it becomes a major recall, how that will affect Colt financially? Let’s face it, they are not terribly stable financially right now.

I'm sure the financial impact will depend on the type of fix.  Replacing a cylinder will be much worse for them than replacing a spring or catch or, even better, make a minor adjustment to a small part.  I bet they have "top people" looking into the reported problem as we speak (type).

Sig took a long time to issue a recall on the P320 for the drop-fire issue.  They refused to label it a recall, as that does impact finances (and stock prices), because it is an admission they caused the problem.  When they finally did offer a fix, it was purely a voluntary program, as they felt the chances of a loaded gun being dropped AND being in that exact orientation on impact AND the discharged round hitting someone would be extremely rare.  Sig blamed the incomplete mandated test procedures for the gun leaving the factory with the problem (they weren't required to test dropping a P320 with a chambered round with the rear of the grip hitting the floor first).  The trigger was of the right weight and without any safety mechanisms to allow inertia to move the trigger to the "fire" position.

In this case, it's not really a safety issue, so the priority will not be as high from a recall stance.  But, if they want to sell more of them, these issues need to be addressed quickly and without costing the owner a penny.

Anyone here think there's a mole in Colt's factory sabotaging the production line?  One would think if it's a design or manufacturing flaw, Colt would have seen it long before release.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2020, 11:12:04 AM »
especially when they said they spent the last 5 years developing the Python. 
if you take that long, should be near perfect
i'm definitely not going to order it online.  I need to handle it in my hands first before buying

Inspector

« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
i'm definitely not going to order it online.  I need to handle it in my hands first before buying
I’m of the same mindset. My finances are too important to me to buy something this expensive without handling it and verifying fit and finish first. Too many of my friends buy guns without at least physically handling them and shoot them once or twice and then sell them because they don’t like it.

changemyoil66

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm sure the financial impact will depend on the type of fix.  Replacing a cylinder will be much worse for them than replacing a spring or catch or, even better, make a minor adjustment to a small part.  I bet they have "top people" looking into the reported problem as we speak (type).

Sig took a long time to issue a recall on the P320 for the drop-fire issue.  They refused to label it a recall, as that does impact finances (and stock prices), because it is an admission they caused the problem.  When they finally did offer a fix, it was purely a voluntary program, as they felt the chances of a loaded gun being dropped AND being in that exact orientation on impact AND the discharged round hitting someone would be extremely rare.  Sig blamed the incomplete mandated test procedures for the gun leaving the factory with the problem (they weren't required to test dropping a P320 with a chambered round with the rear of the grip hitting the floor first).  The trigger was of the right weight and without any safety mechanisms to allow inertia to move the trigger to the "fire" position.

In this case, it's not really a safety issue, so the priority will not be as high from a recall stance.  But, if they want to sell more of them, these issues need to be addressed quickly and without costing the owner a penny.

Anyone here think there's a mole in Colt's factory sabotaging the production line?  One would think if it's a design or manufacturing flaw, Colt would have seen it long before release.

You would think that there is 1 guy in the R&D department who's job it is to find faults with all their guns.  Like taking a new model and droping it in every angle and from different heights, in holsters, in a box, etc...

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
You would think that there is 1 guy in the R&D department who's job it is to find faults with all their guns.  Like taking a new model and droping it in every angle and from different heights, in holsters, in a box, etc...

Unfortunately, the cost of testing guns beyond the standards set by SAAMI is prohibitive.

If every degree on the X, Y, and Z axes is a data point, there are over 46 million potential orientations in which to drop a firearm. ...

Unfortunately, the SIG SAUER P320 has shown an unacceptably high potential for firing when dropped on a hard surface in at
least one general orientation: on the back edge of its slide. SIG refers to this as a “negative 30 degree angle” and
agrees that the P320 has shown a specific vulnerability to it.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/mechanics-behind-sig-p320-drop-safety-failures/

The gun maker notably stated that the P320 design met SAAMI standards for drop testing, which requires the handgun — loaded
with a primed case and magazine full of dummy rounds — fall 4 feet onto a 1-inch thick rubber mat backed by concrete at six
specific, 90-degree angles to determine if the gun will discharge.While the design meets those standards, the video shows that the
gun will discharge if it impacts the ground on the rear of the slide and frame when dropped at a 30-degree angle.

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/08/14/drop-standards-sig-saur-p320
-- Melvin Udall

stangzilla

« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2020, 03:21:22 PM »
who knows how long it will take for this revolver to get to a Hawaii LGS
in the meantime, i'm going to do some trigger jobs on some of my revolvers I already have:  Ruger Redhawk, S&W 629, S&W 627, S&W 586.  I ordered Wolff spring kits for all of those.  I already did trigger spring upgrades on my 2 GP100's which I really like.  I haven't shot the 6" GP with the upgraded springs yet, but the 3" GP is much better now
we'll see how it goes with the S&W revolvers.  the DA on the new 629 is pretty darn heavy, just as heavy maybe heavier than my Redhawk.
maybe after I improve the triggers, no need the Python.  we'll see.   >:D

Inspector

« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
who knows how long it will take for this revolver to get to a Hawaii LGS
in the meantime, i'm going to do some trigger jobs on some of my revolvers I already have:  Ruger Redhawk, S&W 629, S&W 627, S&W 586.  I ordered Wolff spring kits for all of those.  I already did trigger spring upgrades on my 2 GP100's which I really like.  I haven't shot the 6" GP with the upgraded springs yet, but the 3" GP is much better now
we'll see how it goes with the S&W revolvers.  the DA on the new 629 is pretty darn heavy, just as heavy maybe heavier than my Redhawk.
maybe after I improve the triggers, no need the Python.  we'll see.   >:D
I have a couple of S&W revolvers with trigger work done by a gunsmith. There is definitely a big difference between these triggers and the one on my 627 Performance Center revolver. That trigger is nice, but the worked on triggers are great. I need the Python like a hole in my head. But to own one is a luxury for me. I’m thinking of it as a retirement gift to myself. I would still like to own an older model in blue and walnut. I’m just going to see how things work out I guess. Who knows?

I think having your trigger jobs done is an excellent choice. For me, it makes them more enjoyable to shoot. And this will give you time to think about whether a Python belongs in your safe or not.  :thumbsup:

changemyoil66

« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2020, 05:07:42 PM »
Unfortunately, the cost of testing guns beyond the standards set by SAAMI is prohibitive.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/mechanics-behind-sig-p320-drop-safety-failures/

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/08/14/drop-standards-sig-saur-p320
Shouldnt cost that much. Pay part time and also give free guns /ammo.  Load with primers only when dropping so u can tell if it strikes.

And include firing dual pistols. Would have found the striker drag in the 365.

Fixing it cost more.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »
Shouldnt cost that much. Pay part time and also give free guns /ammo.  Load with primers only when dropping so u can tell if it strikes.

And include firing dual pistols. Would have found the striker drag in the 365.

Fixing it cost more.

Part of my background is in system testing.  The process is a lot more specific than "go to the range and report any problems."

A formal test team creates test scenarios based on design and functionality documentation, official standards, and in-house procedures.  The idea is to create test procedures that include all required tests and which can be reproduced.  That way, if you have a possible failure, you can repeat the test exactly to try and reproduce the error.  Same ammo, same cylinder in the same gun, same action (DA or SA), etc, etc.  Each factor or detail is described and recorded.

Even now that there's a potential problem reported, their test team needs to gather details from the owners' experiences, define the steps, and maybe even obtain ammo from those owners.  They have to replicate every variable possible to see if they can reproduce the problem.  One of the most annoying responses to a problem report is "unable to reproduce."  That's basically telling you, "It's not us .... it's you."   :wtf:
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »

Light primer strikes
My initial reaction was Hillbilly operator error of short stroking the DA trigger. I’ve seen it with rapid fire. That said, I thought signs of that was no primer strike or strike on the case rim. At least was my thought when he had failures in “rapid fire” as well as when the cartridge went off in SA. But I didn’t see many typical signs of short stroking, at least with the primer strike marks near the center of the primer.

ETA - I’ve had very bad experiences with Armscor ammo. Both 5.56 and 9 mm. To the point where I won’t buy.

Video was too long for me to watch tonight. But Hickok45 has more cred than Mr. Walking Dead. I would think he was letting the trigger all the way out and not short stroke.

Disappointing overall. I’m not revolver expert, but seems like Colt at minimum has a lot to looking into and as best, some apparent QVC issues.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:24:11 PM by drck1000 »