Using a pusher to flush out pigs (Read 3661 times)

tim808

Using a pusher to flush out pigs
« on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
I’ve only gone deer hunting as a teen.  My dads friends would spread along a ravine and sometimes one (aka the pusher or flusher) would go into the ravine to push/flush deer out for the shooters. 

Is this a practice used here for pigs?  Or too dangerous for the pusher?
(I’ve seen a pusher get shot at by a teen in another hunting group when 3 groups were in the same area.  This was on an island with just 2000 people.  There must be 10x more hunters here)

Maybe I’ll invite my boss
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:38:45 PM by tim808 »

Q

Re: Using a pusher to out flush out pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 08:39:58 PM »
Call dlnr and see what the law is and if it will fall within the law.

Keep in mind that lots of other people hunt legally and illegally on both public and private lands. Using a pusher might interfere with their hunts and piss them off, so expect confrontation; especially armed poachers.

I had an altercation with an individual poaching on public land with his dogs that ruined a shot on a big boar because his dogs scared it off.

tim808

Re: Using a pusher to flush out pigs
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
Hi Q,
Was that your hunting gun you were using at the range on Saturday?

I’m thinking that pushing is similar to stalking, so it should be ok with dlnr.

I guess with the limited area and numerous hunters, is flushing considered bad etiquette?  I never considered that.  I was just worried about getting shot at by a new inexperienced hunter.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:48:16 PM by tim808 »

Q

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 10:39:49 PM »
Hi Q,
Was that your hunting gun you were using at the range on Saturday?

I’m thinking that pushing is similar to stalking, so it should be ok with dlnr.

I guess with the limited area and numerous hunters, is flushing considered bad etiquette?  I never considered that.  I was just worried about getting shot at by a new inexperienced hunter.

That wasnt me. I primarily use a 12ga single shot for hunting w/ modified slugs when i gun hunt because i mostly spot and stalk at close range, i like the simplicity of my single shot, and because my modified slugs are only accurate to about 30 yds. Once i start deer hunting or hunting pigs from blinds in firearm authorized grounds,  I'll probably switch over to my sks if I can find good ammo.  But for the time being,
 Im solely crossbow until Im done working out access to private lands, as I don't feel like driving to kahana, nor do I want to be restricted to hunting kuli'ou'ou on the weekends.

Personally,  i wouldn't consider stalking and pushing the same, because you are flushing the prey out to be killed by someone else, rather than actively hunting prey. But that's just my opinion.  Some might consider pushing bad etiquette for the fact that you could be interfering with their hunt they might have worked hours on. I personally don't care what people do, so long as they don't interrupt my hunt. Most hunters I've met are very polite and helpful,  but there are a handful jackass hunters that are territorial, rude and confrontational; especially when it comes to poachers.

tim808

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:19:44 AM »
Hi Q
With a single shot, do you worry about if a pig goes after you?

Pushing/flushing vs stalking - I feel most pushers think they are also stalking....just moving a little faster.   But yeah they are different.

Can anyone use a crossbow?

Do you often bump into other hunting groups?

Q

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:13:32 PM »
Hi Q
With a single shot, do you worry about if a pig goes after you?

Not at all. I use a redneck trick i learned to speed load my singleshot, so i can quickly reload if a pig does charge.

Can anyone use a crossbow?

A special disability permit is needed for public land, but on private land its at the land owners discretion.

Do you often bump into other hunting groups?

Very rarely,  but it happens. I currently hit public grounds after work when i can, and take different entry routes than most after signing in.

tim808

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 01:39:30 AM »
Tnx Q

Jphilly

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 10:02:21 PM »
I’ve done trail blocking hunting pigs here on private land that was the infested with them. Other than an over run scenario I don’t think pushing pigs is effective cuz lots of times they bed up when they hear a gun shot or bow. Best bet is finding there main trials and figure out what time there moving through

tim808

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
JPhil -
You’re right.  I did an initial walk thru of the public hunting area.  The hunting dogs likely have already flushed everything out an hour after sunrise.

I still got that Ruger American 22lr rifle....it is my favorite 22lr rifle.  The Marlin and Savage now just sit in the gun safe.  Love the 10/22 magazine.

bass monkey

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 03:57:09 PM »
Pigs will generally run up the mountains from the dogs.
Depends on how they push
Some guys start up high and push the pigs to the road

Walk the opposite of the dogs,  you still might come across something

tim808

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 08:26:02 PM »
Bass Monkey
Thanks!  May try that.