What is the most rugged handgun made? (Read 14817 times)

Kingkeoni

What is the most rugged handgun made?
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »
If you could only have one gun and it had to last you forever, without ever breaking.

Which gun would you choose?

Just for fun, let's say you could not ever fix it if it broke.

Which handgun do you think is the most durable and rugged one made?
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Kingkeoni

Re: What is the most rugged handgun made?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »
My vote goes to the Ruger GP100
Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
I don't have enough experience with firearms to give any sort of authoritative answer, but I've never heard anyone say anything about Glocks not being durable.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. - Heinlein

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

808shooter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:12 PM »
glock FTW!

Tom_G

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Ruger Security-Six.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

BananaClip

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:24 PM »
Shoots, I wanna say Glock but I'm thinking some kind of revolver would be better.....
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth"- Genesis1:1 KJV

"The Truth Shall Set You Free"

"Once Blind But Now i See"

Cougar8045

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »
Everybody always says Glock.  Either that or 1911.  I don't own either, and for my own personal use, my next pistol is going to be a Springfield Arms XDM; which is pretty much a Glock clone with a few extra things I like.  All that said, I've got to say that the 1911 faithful have one thing up on the Glock faithful: Proven results.  You can come up with whatever test you want, bury it on an asteroid, stuff the bore with goldfish scales, yada, yada, yada; all you're really trying to do is replicate all the crap the 1911 has spent the last 100 years powering it's way through.  (You might say....the 1911 powers through that shit with rage? :rofl:  Still makes me laugh!)  Mr. Browning's venerable old design has slogged through swamps, swam around with frogmen doing beach recon, jumped out of airplanes, and gone without a proper cleaning for months on end-but for a hundred years now, it's come out of the holster, rusty and ugly and looking like hell, and killed that dirty Communist when one of our boys really needed it.  It doesn't mind a nice scrub with some Hoppe's or Breakfree CLP from time to time, but all a good 1911 really needs is a quick dunk in the diesel fuel tank, and maybe a dab or two of used motor oil here and there.  Durability?  If you're willing to put up with some cosmetic defects, you can still find a 1911 that stormed Normandy, or helped hoist the flag on Iwo Jima, and that baby'll still shoot.
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

crazy cat

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »
Probably the Makarov.  FWIW, the C96 and the Luger are both more rugged than any Browning design, even simplest of the bunch, the Tokarev

Ever see a Glock blow up?  I have...twice..

kava boy

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:30 PM »
I would say glock.

808shooter

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »

that's because it's the most common handgun.  It's like asking a mechanic, "you ever see a Camry with problems?"

i'm not say'n, i'm jus say'n :D

vooduchikn

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
Probably the Makarov.  FWIW, the C96 and the Luger are both more rugged than any Browning design, even simplest of the bunch, the Tokarev

Any caliber of gun will blow up if it has too hot a reload in it.

Relax, I've banned myself..

crazy cat

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
Factory ammo in the Glocks.  FWIW, both times, it was steel cased Wolf .40, which a lot of (fragile :-[) pistols don't like.  The Makarov was designed to eat steel cases.

1911s are far more common at our range, and I've never seen one of those blow up. 

.40 cal Glocks cycle too fast and leave a tadpole shaped indent on the primer, as well as levering the firing pin against it's track.  The (square) firing pin peens a groove on the inside of the slide, and eventually, the firing pin gets stuck, protruding.  The pistol then fires as it closes, out of battery.  9mm and .45 Glocks don't seem to have this problem, just .40s shoehorned into a 9mm frame.

Cougar8045

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Factory ammo in the Glocks.  FWIW, both times, it was steel cased Wolf .40, which a lot of (fragile :-[) pistols don't like.  The Makarov was designed to eat steel cases.

1911s are far more common at our range, and I've never seen one of those blow up. 

.40 cal Glocks cycle too fast and leave a tadpole shaped indent on the primer, as well as levering the firing pin against it's track.  The (square) firing pin peens a groove on the inside of the slide, and eventually, the firing pin gets stuck, protruding.  The pistol then fires as it closes, out of battery.  9mm and .45 Glocks don't seem to have this problem, just .40s shoehorned into a 9mm frame.
:o  My buddy's got a Glock in 40-cal! 
I'm just a fluffy white bunny rabbit who lost his way. 

"If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. ..."  -Exodus 22:2

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »

:o  My buddy's got a Glock in 40-cal!

When I'm ready for a self defense gun, it was going to be a Glock 23 (.40 cal compact). I didn't know it had this problem.

I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Rand

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence. - Hitchens

Kingkeoni

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 11:34:34 PM »
I hear people cackling all the time about seeing certain guns blow up.

Once someone posted that they saw a certain rifle blow up and swore that they had pictures to prove it.

Well, the manufacturer of the firearm came on the forum and made a "put up or shut up" challenge to the person that posted the lie.

Anyway, the person that said it could NOT back up their BS.

I own a Glock 22 .40S&W that has over 20,000 rounds through it. No blow ups yet.

I think people like to say things that they heard from a guy who swears that he heard that some guy said that he saw a guy who he used to know tell a guy that he saw a Glock blow up.

crazy cat

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
I took one of the Glocks in question apart at the range (the other one had to go back to the factory as it came off the line; the slide was stuck fast) and saw the groove in the firing pin track.  Take yours apart an look; you might be surprised.

astroboy

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
+1 for the makarov. A case failure will not blow out the extractor as it would with a walther. The pistol was designed to handle abuse.  The makarovs are not delicate and are nearly idiot proof, a common trait among combloc fire arms. The Ruger mk1 is another very durable pistol. I am the third owner of a mark 1 pistol since 1980. Thousands of rounds have been sent down the barrel since then. No part has ever broken. It is still very accurate. 

antoinebugleboy

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:33 PM »
I took one of the Glocks in question apart at the range (the other one had to go back to the factory as it came off the line; the slide was stuck fast) and saw the groove in the firing pin track.  Take yours apart an look; you might be surprised.

Someone on Youtube put a .40 S&W barrel in a Glock 32 (.357 SIG) and reports that it shoots better than the Glock 23 (.40 S&W).

Bonus. The .357 SIG magazine accepts .40 S&W rounds and vice versa!

vooduchikn

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »
I hear people cackling all the time about seeing certain guns blow up.

Once someone posted that they saw a certain rifle blow up and swore that they had pictures to prove it.

Well, the manufacturer of the firearm came on the forum and made a "put up or shut up" challenge to the person that posted the lie.

Anyway, the person that said it could NOT back up their BS.

I own a Glock 22 .40S&W that has over 20,000 rounds through it. No blow ups yet.

I think people like to say things that they heard from a guy who swears that he heard that some guy said that he saw a guy who he used to know tell a guy that he saw a Glock blow up.

This. I do not believe the hooplah on glocks blowing up with factory ammo. I don't have 20k through my G22 yet, but it is quickly approaching 10k, no KB, eats everything that has ever been fed to it.
Relax, I've banned myself..

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 02:53:50 AM »
Someone on Youtube put a .40 S&W barrel in a Glock 32 (.357 SIG) and reports that it shoots better than the Glock 23 (.40 S&W).

Bonus. The .357 SIG magazine accepts .40 S&W rounds and vice versa!

Wait. As far as I know, the glock 23 and 32 are the exact same gun with a different barrel.
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here