Reloading Manuals (Read 5061 times)

556fun

Reloading Manuals
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
I was cruzing the web today and came across the 48th Lyman Reloading book in PDF, is this volume ok to use or is it necessary to purchase the 49th Book. 

:shaka:

Bushido

Re: Reloading Manuals
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 07:53:06 PM »
I was cruzing the web today and came across the 48th Lyman Reloading book in PDF, is this volume ok to use or is it necessary to purchase the 49th Book. 

I know your previous thread stated you were planning to load .223 to start with. What bullet, powder, primers were you planning to start out with? A lot of reloading forums frown upon sharing pictures of load data as they want you to support the companies by purchasing their manuals. I completely understand that but I personally can't afford to buy every manual there is. I get a lot of my load data from either other forum members, Facebook groups or Goggle Image has a lot. Hodgdons comes out with a manual/magazine every year that is very affordable. I buy it every year even though their load data is readily available online. 

556fun

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »
yes, planning .223 reloads, coming from a noob - as for powder choice, went to a shop today and got more confused on what to brand and type of powder to buy, so im at square one on that item, as for bullet want to shoot 55 grain, primer looking at cci for small rifle. 

im all open for any suggestions - thank you in advance for your help

whynow?

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:45:20 PM »
What the others suggested is good.   I have the Lyman 49 only so can't compare to the 48.   For .223 the 49 covers a good range of bullet weights.
What ever brand bullet you use, the bullet company manual would be good, like Hornady or Nosler.  Check the web for comments on the Sierra no. 5 manual and make your decision if using Sierra bullets.  Take advantage of the free downloads
More info is always better but sometimes different manuals may give loads that are different.  If you go to WGS, they will let you look at their "library' of manuals. 
Good luck.

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 04:57:57 AM »
I don't even know what edition my Lyman is?  :rofl:

The information in older reloading manuals is the same as in the newer editions generally speaking. The only difference is the newer edition might have a few more bullet and/or powder choices. And in some circumstances it may not have any newer information. There is so much information on the Internet you may not even use your manual very often. Especially since you are loading one of the most popular cartridges in the world.

Depending on the twist of your barrel, I would suggest you start with 55gr to 65gr bullets. Check out Sierra (My favs), Hornady and Speer bullets. There are others but most manuals usually list these brands. Then try to find the powder(s) in the middle of the load data. Usually the powders listed at the top or bottom of each bullet's load data are not the best powders to start loading with. They are usually on the fringe of being too fast burning or too slow burning. The powders in the middle of the load data are generally more versatile for that cartridge/bullet weight combination. So choose a powder near the middle of the load data chart.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here as guys like Bushido and Oldfart have a lot of good information for you.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 05:40:34 AM »

Well, actually ....no, I don't thjnk it matters much at all.
The answer that inspector gave you kind of says it all.
For the very latest info on new products you'll need to check manufacturers websites anyway.
The value of the paper book is having a solid reference of general info and cartridge dimensions.
The last book that I bought was a used speer manual from amazon because people sell the older books cheap but the info doesn't change much.
What, Me Worry?

Bushido

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
Being that you were also looking for an "inexpensive" press, I'll assume the same for your loads. For a plinking round, I use Hornady 55gr SPs and FMJBTs for my cheaper stuff. I get them for $85 shipped per 1K. Primers I use CCI 41s ($60/1K) for my AR but have been experimenting with 400s ($30/1K) due to price and availability. I use H335 for powder. Fairly inexpensive ($20-25/lb) and really meters well.

My primary reason for reloading is for accuracy.  If you're interested in that I can elaborate on what I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImKu

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 06:58:52 AM »
I don't really reload 223 anymore.  So I have primers, brass, bullets, and other misc items I can sell you for cheap.  PM me if interested or for more details.  Been really busy so I haven't gone through all my stuff.  Or if you want I have hodgdon mags and reloading books you can have but you have to meet me in the Kapolei area.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:09:11 AM by ImKu »
The mind acts like an enemy for those who do not control it.
- Bhagavad Gita