Motorcycles in shoulder lane January 2019! (Read 4907 times)

hvybarrels

Motorcycles in shoulder lane January 2019!
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:30:19 PM »
Very excited to hear about this. It’s not full on lane splitting but better than sweating it out in traffic. Now owning a motorcycle actually makes sense vs being a mere weekend diversion. Probably shouldn’t celebrate too early though, and see how it’s implimented.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38617039/3-measures-will-become-law-without-the-governors-signature

If they do it right I’m guessing lots more new riders will be on the road soon, which means there will need to be more parking as well. Hopefully it helps out traffic too
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

zippz

Re: Motorcycles in shoulder lane January 2019!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:59:47 PM »
From Iges statement, I think the designated areas will be very limited.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
Riders have been usind the shoulder for years before this law. Airport viaduct. H1 at all times when there is traffic.
Deeds Not Words

RSN172

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
I agree.  So limited that it will be useless.  As screwed up as our state is, it will be allowed where you don't need it and outlawed where you do, all in the name of safety.

London808

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 10:49:10 AM »
This is a zero law, it will have no effect on anything

You can only ride in the shoulder in designated areas = we won’t designate any areas.

You can only move to the shoulder lane after traffic has been stationary for X minutes (x has not been given a value) = your still going to sit in traffic waiting for an as yet unspecified amount of time

If traffic moves you have to merge back into traffic = in stop and go traffic you are not using the lane anyway any one as traffic is never really stopped.

The only reason the govoner allowed  this to pass is becuse its an election year. He planned to veto it but doesn’t becuse the SBU has a lot of members who would vote against him purely based on his veto.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

changemyoil66

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
This is a zero law, it will have no effect on anything

You can only ride in the shoulder in designated areas = we won’t designate any areas.

You can only move to the shoulder lane after traffic has been stationary for X minutes (x has not been given a value) = your still going to sit in traffic waiting for an as yet unspecified amount of time

If traffic moves you have to merge back into traffic = in stop and go traffic you are not using the lane anyway any one as traffic is never really stopped.

The only reason the govoner allowed  this to pass is becuse its an election year. He planned to veto it but doesn’t becuse the SBU has a lot of members who would vote against him purely based on his veto.

Kind of like how when Hawaii changed from a "no-issue" to a "may issue".  Got a boner for nothing.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

I could see they would want to limit it to test areas for now. I am excited to hear this even though I no longer own a motorcycle. My biggest fear though is just all the nails and tire destroying items in the shoulders.

hvybarrels

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
Lane splitting is the way to go, but we have the typical nanny state issues here plus the BMW and Lexus set who the pols really listen to would cry when their $50k luxury ride gets left behind by a $5k motorcycle.

“It’s not fair! Poor people should suffer in traffic like the rest of us!”

I’m going to remain optimistic that the trend will spread once they see the benefits of the pilot project tests roads.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

ren

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 06:17:17 AM »
would love to ride a Grom
Deeds Not Words

robtmc

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
No way would I split lanes on the east section of H1 with those narrow lanes. 

Then again, after dealing with Honolulu traffic for four years, I would not ride there to begin with. 

In 1967, it was a great place to ride.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
I could see they would want to limit it to test areas for now. I am excited to hear this even though I no longer own a motorcycle. My biggest fear though is just all the nails and tire destroying items in the shoulders.

Didn't think of the nails and stuff on the shoulder.  City will not clean it, so another issue adding to a law that wont be allowed.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
Didn't think of the nails and stuff on the shoulder.  City will not clean it, so another issue adding to a law that wont be allowed.

A street sweeper cleans the shoulders on both the shoulder lane side and the zipper lane side at least once a week. I used to be stuck behind the H-1 town-bound HOV lane sweeper through Pearl City.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall