Firearms Training - Sharing Experience (Read 83692 times)

changemyoil66

Re: Firearms Training - Sharing Experience
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2023, 09:01:58 AM »
1 thing I've always wondered about classes is the lunch situation.  How was this one set up?

Mrs. CMO took an all womens class in CO and they had about 300 attendees. So a bunch of lunchwagons was set up. We thought about taking PFC Training classes in Vegas, and the food thing was always on my mind.

With our range shut down, how was your skills according to jedi?  Like "good enough", considering little to no live fire?  Or was it obvious to him that you haven't live fired in a while?  I ask what his opinion is cause I know what your expectations of yourself is.

Is Jedi's personality in person the same as in his videos?  I've talked to some other people for other various industries and what you see on video or social media is often different from real life.  Example: Mrs. CMO met Jay Cutler (bodybuilder, not NFL) and in his vids at the time (early 2000's), he came off as very cocky. But in real life, he was a nice guy. She watched him interact with various fans at a autograph session. Same with Bill Romanowski (NFL).

zippz

« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2023, 09:40:14 AM »
1 thing I've always wondered about classes is the lunch situation.  How was this one set up?

Most of my Frontsight lunches were cold cut sandwiches I made and cup of noodles.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2023, 09:43:51 AM »
Most of my Frontsight lunches were cold cut sandwiches I made and cup of noodles.

Hot water there, or u made the noodles prior to the class starting?

drck1000

« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2023, 09:46:21 AM »
1) 1 thing I've always wondered about classes is the lunch situation.  How was this one set up?

Mrs. CMO took an all womens class in CO and they had about 300 attendees. So a bunch of lunchwagons was set up. We thought about taking PFC Training classes in Vegas, and the food thing was always on my mind.

2) With our range shut down, how was your skills according to jedi?  Like "good enough", considering little to no live fire?  Or was it obvious to him that you haven't live fired in a while?  I ask what his opinion is cause I know what your expectations of yourself is.

3) Is Jedi's personality in person the same as in his videos?  I've talked to some other people for other various industries and what you see on video or social media is often different from real life.  Example: Mrs. CMO met Jay Cutler (bodybuilder, not NFL) and in his vids at the time (early 2000's), he came off as very cocky. But in real life, he was a nice guy. She watched him interact with various fans at a autograph session. Same with Bill Romanowski (NFL).
1) You're on your own for lunch.  That's typical for the courses that I've taken, which typically in the 20ish student range.  I've never been to a course like that where lunch was provided or nearby.  They typically give you enough time to go "off range" for lunch.  I always bring lunch to the range.  Don't want the hassle of rushing to get lunch.  Plus good time to eat and chat with fellow students.  In some courses, the instructors stick around and chat as well.  I want to cruise and chill during the breaks.  Other than that, you should take snacks if you're that worried.  I usually have a bunch of snacks, but for this one, I didn't really eat other than the breaks. 

2) They aren't really watching the individual students that closely, nor are they judging you.  Or at least they typically aren't obvious about it.  There was a range of folks in terms of skill, prior experience, frequency of training, etc.  It was obvious who had been training/shooting regularly.  There was a group that were all shooting buddies, having trained and shot matches together often.  It was great to see them pushing each other, and others in the class.  I got to be good friends with a few of them over the 3 days of the class.  I even "won" the chalice from one of them, and still rib him about it on social media. 

Beyond that, Jedi has standards.  National, class, and black belt.  I'd have to check the card, but I think I met the class standard for the 3x2 and was maybe 0.1 from the black belt.  For the bill drill, I was within the BB standard time, but had 1 out (fail).  After that, I knew I was out for the BB patch.  I think I made the class standard for the 1 shot, and I messed up on the 25 yard one.  I didn't really have expectations going in.  After the first day, I thought I would have decent chance at 2 of the 4 standards, so I think was "about right". 

3) Personality wise, he is about what you get from what I've seen on YT.  I think he's pretty cool, but like anything, depends on the individual.  Like anyone, they definitely gravitate to folks that have similar interests or other connections.  He would joke with me because of a few of those "links".  He would often use a BJJ black belt that was in the class for shared experiences and examples as Jedi is really in to BJJ as well, including how he relates to body mechanics for shooting.  He also had a couple "challenging students" that became his projects and could tell they "held a special place in his heart".  Overall, I think he's a super cool guy, but I can see if folks find him abrasive or an ass.  He's SUPER conscious of safety, so if you aren't safe, you're going to know.  He definitely let a few folks know when something close to unsafe happened. 

drck1000

« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2023, 09:46:56 AM »
Hot water there, or u made the noodles prior to the class starting?
Are you going to be there to train?  Or to eat?

drck1000

« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2023, 09:51:05 AM »
CMO - For this class, the range was out in the boonies, but was still maybe 10-15 mins from "rest stop" areas along the main highway.  I would say most of the classes I have taken were similar.  Where fast food was available within maybe 10 mins from the range.  I typically buy a sandwich, chips, snacks, etc the night before or on the way to the range.  This class, I bought a cheap collapsible cooler from Target and packed my lunch with ice and water.  Past courses, I bought a cheap styrofoam cooler and did similar.  I would say maybe half of the guys brought lunch and half went out to buy.  The instructors went off site all three days. 

I have been to ranges where they have basic stuff, like maybe a small kitchen to warm up stuff or a fridge.  But overall, I don't count on that.  My focus is on the class. . .

changemyoil66

« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2023, 10:02:38 AM »
  He would joke with me because of a few of those "links". 

Rhymes with "link".  Also with "plant dyes".  :rofl:

macsak

« Reply #407 on: July 13, 2023, 09:11:01 PM »

drck1000

« Reply #408 on: July 14, 2023, 06:51:39 PM »
SNIP
That’s the class I took. They have a few different, plus collaborations. Covered all in that video, with slightly different course of fire for the lateral movement.

Interesting to see the various pistols and optic combos, especially for California. I was considering a class there, but I was warned of issues with acquiring ammo and pistol restrictions.

macsak

« Reply #409 on: July 14, 2023, 07:30:42 PM »
plus you have to consider the lunch situation...

That’s the class I took. They have a few different, plus collaborations. Covered all in that video, with slightly different course of fire for the lateral movement.

Interesting to see the various pistols and optic combos, especially for California. I was considering a class there, but I was warned of issues with acquiring ammo and pistol restrictions.