Firearm Storage In Pelican/Plastic Cases (Read 3270 times)

drck1000

Firearm Storage In Pelican/Plastic Cases
« on: December 04, 2018, 02:34:56 PM »
What are some precautions that need to be taken or considered if storing firearms in plastic cases?  Pelican and others like them.

I recall many mentioning caution on particular measures to protect from corrosion when storing firearms long term in Pelican cases.  I am have some of those wool sock type bags with silicone treatment for the handguns as well as rifles.  I also have some of those plastic corrosion bags ordered.  I just recall someone mentioning it wasn't good to store firearms in the plastic cases with just the foam.

I assume the firearm finish plays a role.  Like I envision a blued S&W revolver would need more care than say at Glock or Sig handgun.  Firearms I would be more concerned about are stuff with bluing or case hardened steel, but stainless also.  Not really worried about guns like Benelli or Mossberg shottys or ARs that have more weather resistant finishes and materials.  Other firearms that I would be somewhat concerned about are the milsurp stuff like M1 Garand and 1903. 

Drakiir84

Re: Firearm Storage In Pelican/Plastic Cases
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
What are some precautions that need to be taken or considered if storing firearms in plastic cases?  Pelican and others like them.

I recall many mentioning caution on particular measures to protect from corrosion when storing firearms long term in Pelican cases.  I am have some of those wool sock type bags with silicone treatment for the handguns as well as rifles.  I also have some of those plastic corrosion bags ordered.  I just recall someone mentioning it wasn't good to store firearms in the plastic cases with just the foam.

I assume the firearm finish plays a role.  Like I envision a blued S&W revolver would need more care than say at Glock or Sig handgun.  Firearms I would be more concerned about are stuff with bluing or case hardened steel, but stainless also.  Not really worried about guns like Benelli or Mossberg shottys or ARs that have more weather resistant finishes and materials.  Other firearms that I would be somewhat concerned about are the milsurp stuff like M1 Garand and 1903.

As long as the case is airtight just give it a good wipe down and throw a desiccant inside to eliminate moisture.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

tillamook

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »
I've had very good luck with these inexpensive corrosion prevention bags as well, if you want to add some extra prevention. 
https://www.bluguardvci.com/anti-corrosion-bags

If you get the velcro ones be careful with opening them .  The velcro is very strong and if you try to rip it open quickly you can tear the plastic. 

drck1000

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:33:17 PM »
As long as the case is airtight just give it a good wipe down and throw a desiccant inside to eliminate moisture.
I generally thought so too, but I recall a bunch of folks cautioning about that in another thread.  I recall the concern being about the foam.  I have never stored my guns that way.  I am thinking of storing a couple of firearms that was for longer term and I don't want to learn a painful lesson.  My dad had stored a couple of his revolvers in leather holsters.  The snaps were all green and flaking from years of exposure.  Thankfully, the firearms themselves seemed to not have been affected. 

I've had very good luck with these inexpensive corrosion prevention bags as well, if you want to add some extra prevention. 
https://www.bluguardvci.com/anti-corrosion-bags

If you get the velcro ones be careful with opening them .  The velcro is very strong and if you try to rip it open quickly you can tear the plastic. 

Thanks!  I ordered a couple of the Dry Pack ones from Amazon.  I believe the Corrosion Cops folks are at the gun shows and sell similar plastic bags.  They used to come to my office when I worked for a private engineering company.  That was mostly for corrosion for steel building products, but they seemed to know their stuff for firearms as well. 

AusTac

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
For long term pistol storage depending on the finish id personally be getting a tuff cloth wiping it down with that and wrapping it in a lightly oiled plastic bag the humidity and moisture you guys get is similar to northern Australia, or just get a plastic/cerakoted gun and not car haha, cerakote and synthetic stocks are pretty much what i have in my safe as paddock draggers

Inspector

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:07:31 PM »
Thirty to forty years ago I stored some of my pistols (Both stainless and blued) in those foam lined plastic cases in my safe. I always put on a thick coat of oil before placing the pistols in the cases. After many years of not even opening the cases the guns came out rust free and covered in oil. Not sure I would recommend doing that again.

I find just getting each gun out of the safe every 4-6 months (or more often) and taking them out and shoot them and when I’m done I clean, oil and wipe down with a silicone cloth is enough to prevent rust. I also use Break Free CLP and I have been happy with the rust prevention.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 04:30:23 PM »
I believe the problems lie more in the foam used than the container.  Gun manufacturers store their products in plastic cases and cardboard boxes, too.

Manufacturers also wrap their guns in paper or plastic to separate them from the protective foam or cardboard.  I've seen Mosin butt plates rust in just a few months sitting in a safe.  The cause was the carpeting.  For some reason, the bluing used by the Russian arsenals react with the carpet material.

So, wrap the firearm in paper or in a plastic bag to keep it well protected.  I'd imagine a silicon-impregnated gun sock would be as good, too.  Anything to keep the metal isolated from the foam or other contents in the case.

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Rocky

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:56:47 AM »
I generally thought so too, but I recall a bunch of folks cautioning about that in another thread.  I recall the concern being about the foam.  I have never stored my guns that way.  I am thinking of storing a couple of firearms that was for longer term and I don't want to learn a painful lesson.  My dad had stored a couple of his revolvers in leather holsters.  The snaps were all green and flaking from years of exposure.  Thankfully, the firearms themselves seemed to not have been affected. 

Thanks!  I ordered a couple of the Dry Pack ones from Amazon.  I believe the Corrosion Cops folks are at the gun shows and sell similar plastic bags.  They used to come to my office when I worked for a private engineering company.  That was mostly for corrosion for steel building products, but they seemed to know their stuff for firearms as well.
I stored an old 870 in RustCop blue bag for years unopened and it came out pristine.  :thumbsup:
I also used the smaller ones for my shaving razor and was amazed how the blade stayed sharp  longer.
As for cases alone, I believe Flapp has a point regarding the foam. I tend to throw my cases in a room with a dehumidifier on occasion to dry the foam out..
Desiccant bags can only absorb so much. Even the ones in a safe need "recharging " if possible. Best for safe is dehumidifier sticks that you plug in.
JME
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mr. Farknocker

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:31:42 AM »
I believe the problems lie more in the foam used than the container.  Gun manufacturers store their products in plastic cases and cardboard boxes, too.

Manufacturers also wrap their guns in paper or plastic to separate them from the protective foam or cardboard.  I've seen Mosin butt plates rust in just a few months sitting in a safe.  The cause was the carpeting.  For some reason, the bluing used by the Russian arsenals react with the carpet material.

So, wrap the firearm in paper or in a plastic bag to keep it well protected.  I'd imagine a silicon-impregnated gun sock would be as good, too.  Anything to keep the metal isolated from the foam or other contents in the case.

This.

There's quite a bit of literature about storing firearms in closed cases.  I owned two of the same types of airguns with beautiful blued barrels. I stored one in a plastic case with foam and the other i kept outside. The one stored in the case developed rust over the entire length of the barrel within a year while the other did not.  None of the rifles were lubed or preserved with a rust inhibitors before being stored.  According to some, the case traps moisture and the moisture concentrates at the points where the foam contacts the barrel.  For me, I will never store a firearm inside of an enclosed plastic case fpr a prolonged period of time unless that was my last resort and if I did, I would remove any material that comes into contact with any metal on the firearm.

zippz

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »
I stored an AK47 in a pelican case for nearly 2 years and had no rust.  The room was often warm and humid.  Rifle was clean with a coat of CLP.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

zippz

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 03:30:37 PM »
On another note, I stored a couple of well worn blued handguns in a case with foam.  They were slightly damp from the rain after shooting at Koko Head.  Took em out of the case a few hours later and it had minor surface rust spots.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

drck1000

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 06:24:37 PM »
Thirty to forty years ago I stored some of my pistols (Both stainless and blued) in those foam lined plastic cases in my safe. I always put on a thick coat of oil before placing the pistols in the cases. After many years of not even opening the cases the guns came out rust free and covered in oil. Not sure I would recommend doing that again.

I find just getting each gun out of the safe every 4-6 months (or more often) and taking them out and shoot them and when I’m done I clean, oil and wipe down with a silicone cloth is enough to prevent rust. I also use Break Free CLP and I have been happy with the rust prevention.
Ideally, I would like to shoot many of these guns regularly, but I haven't even shot my Rem 700 in a couple of years.  So I am assuming many may stay stored for a while.  The guns in my safe that do have what I feel are more corrosion suspect finishes get a wipe down with Ballistol.  My Rem 700 (outside surface of the barrel) and rings has some corrosion after sitting in my safe.  I think I had shot it, cleaned it and put in safe, but didn't wipe it down. 

Yeah.  I recall the foam being a suspect.  I was thinking the foam cells could collect moisture or grime that led to corrosion.  I recall most of my rifles came in cardboard boxes and a plastic bag.  The Winchester lever action is one that I will use the silicon sock thing, but not sure about the others.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:48 PM »
I stored an old 870 in RustCop blue bag for years unopened and it came out pristine.  :thumbsup:
I also used the smaller ones for my shaving razor and was amazed how the blade stayed sharp  longer.
As for cases alone, I believe Flapp has a point regarding the foam. I tend to throw my cases in a room with a dehumidifier on occasion to dry the foam out..
Desiccant bags can only absorb so much. Even the ones in a safe need "recharging " if possible. Best for safe is dehumidifier sticks that you plug in.
JME
I have a few of those dehumidifiers that you plug in.  I also have some boxes of DampRid. 

This.

There's quite a bit of literature about storing firearms in closed cases.  I owned two of the same types of airguns with beautiful blued barrels. I stored one in a plastic case with foam and the other i kept outside. The one stored in the case developed rust over the entire length of the barrel within a year while the other did not.  None of the rifles were lubed or preserved with a rust inhibitors before being stored.  According to some, the case traps moisture and the moisture concentrates at the points where the foam contacts the barrel.  For me, I will never store a firearm inside of an enclosed plastic case fpr a prolonged period of time unless that was my last resort and if I did, I would remove any material that comes into contact with any metal on the firearm.
I'd rather have a larger safe to store all of the guns, but going with the plastic cases as short term solution for some firearms.  However, I suspect that the planned short term solution will be years.   

drck1000

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 06:31:12 PM »
I stored an AK47 in a pelican case for nearly 2 years and had no rust.  The room was often warm and humid.  Rifle was clean with a coat of CLP.

Not really worried about my ARs or AKs.  However, I have seen a bunch of AKs where the bolt and the action cover were worn and rusted really quickly.  My AKs still have the finish in tact, but something I'll keep and eye on.  That said, the AKs that I've seen with rust run just fine and even if mine do eventually get there, I'd be ok if the wear is after thousands of rounds.

On another note, I stored a couple of well worn blued handguns in a case with foam.  They were slightly damp from the rain after shooting at Koko Head.  Took em out of the case a few hours later and it had minor surface rust spots.
The blued revolvers are definitely ones that I'm concerned about.  Guns with case hardened finish are also ones that I would take extra care for.  I love that finish, but I heard that they take quite a bit of effort to care for.