Ahmaud Arbery (Read 4580 times)

RSN172

Re: Ahmaud Arbery
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »
 Now former DA got arrested and charged with delaying and showing favoritism to the McMichaels.
https://news.yahoo.com/she-spend-time-prison-former-000000762.html

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
Now former DA got arrested and charged with delaying and showing favoritism to the McMichaels.
https://news.yahoo.com/she-spend-time-prison-former-000000762.html

I was reading that. Definite ethics violations justifying firing her but it seems difficult to reach obstruction charges.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »
People who see suspicious activities or individuals can take pictures or video, write down license plates if they see any, write down times and actions .... and give that to the Cops after calling 911. 

Can't just follow people that are "suspicious" unless you can do so without interfering with them.  Unless you are law enforcement, the property owner or hired security., you have no business or authority to even ask someone what they are doing.  Observe, record, follow and report is all you can do.

You can follow them, but not detain them.

QUIETShooter

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2021, 12:53:32 PM »
The news mentioned the governor repealed it after the Arbery incident but something about Georgia has a law where citizens can make an arrest if they see someone committing a felony crime.

And in my opinion Arbery wasn't committing no felony.  He was just jogging down the street.  And I could be wrong but the video of him looking around in that unfinished house can't be a felony could it?

Anyway the verdict has been reached.  In my opinion a correct one.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »
You can follow them, but not detain them.

And, if they see you following, they can call the Cops on you to report a "suspicious person following them."

There's that adjective again.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 02:50:40 PM »
The news mentioned the governor repealed it after the Arbery incident but something about Georgia has a law where citizens can make an arrest if they see someone committing a felony crime.

And in my opinion Arbery wasn't committing no felony.  He was just jogging down the street.  And I could be wrong but the video of him looking around in that unfinished house can't be a felony could it?

Apparently it's a "thing" that people do -- visiting homes while under construction.  There are some who are out browsing properties and just want to self-view the homes without a realtor or developer talking to them.  Others may just be curious what a new home looks like halfway complete.

Unless there are No Trespassing signs posted, or the individual was warned to stay off the property before, there's no felony trespass.
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 11:40:13 PM »
And, if they see you following, they can call the Cops on you to report a "suspicious person following them."

There's that adjective again.

Perfectly fine. The dispatcher would get both calls, see they are likely related and officers could respond.

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 11:43:24 PM »

If Arbery stole something while inside the home then it could constitute a felony but at the very least it would be a trespass.

2 of the 3 accused didn't testify so we never really got to hear what they saw, what they knew, and what they were thinking.

I think manslaughter would be a more appropriate charge personally.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2021, 01:29:38 AM »
Perfectly fine. The dispatcher would get both calls, see they are likely related and officers could respond.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

You said the neighbor had "reason to be suspicious," but you stop short of giving any context as to why that even matters.

#ContextShmontext
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 09:32:24 PM »
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

You said the neighbor had "reason to be suspicious," but you stop short of giving any context as to why that even matters.

#ContextShmontext

It matters because it explains why they called police and why they followed him.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2021, 10:28:16 PM »
It matters because it explains why they called police and why they followed him.

Doesn't explain why they trapped him and attempted a citizen's arrest.  They said they thought he was trying to get away.  Get away from whom?  Get away with what? 

Sounds like you're trying to justify the murder because of "suspicion."
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »
Doesn't explain why they trapped him and attempted a citizen's arrest.  They said they thought he was trying to get away.  Get away from whom?  Get away with what? 

Sounds like you're trying to justify the murder because of "suspicion."

Do you think their intent was to shoot him? To me it doesn't look like that. It looked to me like Ahmaud stopped running and they exited the truck to grab him. Once they exited Ahmaud turned to confront his pursuers. I don't think Ahmaud was trapped, the cars were just behind him on the road. Maybe he was tired of running (literally or metaphorically)?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »
Do you think their intent was to shoot him? To me it doesn't look like that. It looked to me like Ahmaud stopped running and they exited the truck to grab him. Once they exited Ahmaud turned to confront his pursuers. I don't think Ahmaud was trapped, the cars were just behind him on the road. Maybe he was tired of running (literally or metaphorically)?

I think their intent was to detain him using any means necessary.

You weren't there.  Someone who was there described Arbery as "trapped like a rat."  What you believe something "looks like" is irrelevant to the context.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 10:35:12 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 10:17:04 PM »
I think there intent was to detain him using any means necessary.

You weren't there.  Someone who was there described Arbery as "trapped like a rat."  What you believe something "looks like" is irrelevant to the context.

I wasn't there and I don't read minds thats why I can only comment on what it looked like.

I don't think there was a lot of planning in this, just reaction.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2021, 10:27:28 PM »
I wasn't there and I don't read minds thats why I can only comment on what it looked like.

I don't think there was a lot of planning in this, just reaction.

Were they tried for conspiracy?  Why is planning an element of the crime?  Are you referring to a statute that should have been applied to the case and wasn't?
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2021, 10:52:26 PM »

QUIETShooter

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »
Those 3 men will have a lot of time to contemplate their actions.  Behind bars.  One of them probably a lifetime to replay the scenario over and over in his mind......

Only they know what they were really thinking.
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

Kalikikopa

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »

I don't think the intent was to use deadly force to stop him, but for me it looks like Ahmaud saw a gunman in the left if the truck and went to the right.  The next time you see him it looks like he is charging the armed man directly in front of the truck. In subsequent videos you can see his body maybe 100 ft in front of the truck, so I'm assuming he is being chased by a gunman, fearing the worst. In that senerio, would you, as Ahumad, turn your back on the gunman and keep running? I would have to assume, with a gunman chasing him, it was fight or die.

changemyoil66

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 11:34:09 AM »
Those 3 men will have a lot of time to contemplate their actions.  Behind bars.  One of them probably a lifetime to replay the scenario over and over in his mind......

Only they know what they were really thinking.

This is why my mentality is I rather be wrong and go home, than try and prove I'm right and end up in jail.  They aren't the cops, it's not their property, call 911.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 11:35:05 AM »
I don't think the intent was to use deadly force to stop him, but for me it looks like Ahmaud saw a gunman in the left if the truck and went to the right.  The next time you see him it looks like he is charging the armed man directly in front of the truck. In subsequent videos you can see his body maybe 100 ft in front of the truck, so I'm assuming he is being chased by a gunman, fearing the worst. In that senerio, would you, as Ahumad, turn your back on the gunman and keep running? I would have to assume, with a gunman chasing him, it was fight or die.

Since he is dead, there is no way to get his side of the story.