2A Thanksgiving Shoot (Read 13416 times)

2ahavvaii

Re: 2A Thanksgiving Shoot
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »
from this past Saturday
don't count this one bc it sucks!!!  I know I can do better than this, but on this day this is the best I could do.   :'(
this is with my Single Ten .22LR
my GP100 had a squib load from my reloads.  turns out I had some cleaning media (crushed walnut) stuck in the brass case and it didn't ignite the powder.
good thing I recognized that it was a squib and stopped shooting, dropped a spent 22 case down the barrel, and it didn't go through, so I knew I had a squib.  took it home and hammered it out and looked at what was left in the barrel.
I gotta inspect the brass better in the future.  my first squib load.  but I think the brass polish I add is the culprit.  sometimes it is clumpy, so maybe that's what caused the walnut to get stuck
lucky.  could have been a lot worse if I kept shooting.
anyway, this is the target, but i'll be back in a couple weeks to shoot better!   :shaka:

Good thing you caught it!  I'm guessing you remove primers before tumbling?  I tumble first, then remove primers.  I believe cleaning media getting stuck in the hole is a common enough occurrence that most people tumble with primer in.  I dont think depriming first offers any real advantages.

2ahavvaii

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
I went pistol side with my co-worker today.
He tried his luck but threw 2 shots off the paper.
I count 12 points on my target.
Maybe I'll try again on vet day next week.
I did leave some extra targets on thè bulletin board.

what is that, .45?  some pretty big pukas in that poor turkey

oldfart

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »
what is that, .45?  some pretty big pukas in that poor turkey
Yep, good ole colt 45 auto... :rofl:
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 09:12:32 PM »
My lame attempt at standing 50 yards with my Old Blue .223 Wylde upper that I built. With the iron sights, I can't see the turkey's head. I haven't shot standing since Basic Training so a bit rusty. I got a decent group on the bench shooting at the center mass. If I go to the range before Thanksgiving, perhaps I'll try with my 300BLK and scope.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

dustoff003

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Great day today at KHSC with oldfart! No turkeys were harmed today paper or otherwise. 2 out of 5 on the paper none in the turkey. 25 yards with my S&W Governor ammo used .45 ACP. I should have used 5 shot shells! All the best to you all.

oldfart

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 07:10:02 PM »
Great day today at KHSC with oldfart! No turkeys were harmed today paper or otherwise. 2 out of 5 on the paper none in the turkey. 25 yards with my S&W Governor ammo used .45 ACP. I should have used 5 shot shells! All the best to you all.
Turkeys are safe when Dustoff goes huntin'

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14113/tofu-turkey-i/

Mmmm, tofu turkey
What, Me Worry?

macsak

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 07:19:27 PM »

heads

oldfart

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »
My lame attempt at standing 50 yards with my Old Blue .223 Wylde upper that I built. With the iron sights, I can't see the turkey's head. I haven't shot standing since Basic Training so a bit rusty. I got a decent group on the bench shooting at the center mass. If I go to the range before Thanksgiving, perhaps I'll try with my 300BLK and scope.
Wow, you sure shot the ass off that turkey!
What, Me Worry?

Jl808

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 07:14:01 AM »

The turkey was trying to run away.
I think, therefore I am armed.
NRA Life Patron member, HRA Life member, HiFiCo Life Member, HDF member

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

stangzilla

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
Good thing you caught it!  I'm guessing you remove primers before tumbling?  I tumble first, then remove primers.  I believe cleaning media getting stuck in the hole is a common enough occurrence that most people tumble with primer in.  I dont think depriming first offers any real advantages.

I tumble first with the primer in. I went back today and shot the rest of those reloads. No problems. Just that 1 round, but that's all it takes. From now on I won't use the brass polish and inspect brass better.

rklapp

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 05:22:01 PM »
Definitely more than winged it.   :geekdanc:

From the standing position, I gave it a significant headache.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

Heavies

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »
I tumble first with the primer in. I went back today and shot the rest of those reloads. No problems. Just that 1 round, but that's all it takes. From now on I won't use the brass polish and inspect brass better.
That's unusual.  Would think the decapping pin would punch out any stuck media.  Good thing you caught it. 

I missed a squib in my .22.  It rung the barrel and I ended up having to reline the barrel.  It wouldnt hit the target backer at 25yards after the ring.  Good thing it was only .22 and only damaged the equipment and not my person. 

Try letting the tumbler run with no brass for 10-15 minutes after you add polish, so that the polish has time to distribute and clumps to break up.  I do this and never had polish stuck in cases after I do this method.

Teichi

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
Today with my Ruger Mk2

macsak

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »

aletheuo137

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 05:23:28 PM »
Hoyt Magnatec compound now at 20 yards, 60 lb draw weight. Shot it cold turkey after not shooting for a couple weeks. Pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

aletheuo137

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 05:32:56 PM »
18 year old bow, still gets the job done!

oldfart

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 05:59:39 PM »
Hoyt Magnatec compound now at 20 yards, 60 lb draw weight. Shot it cold turkey after not shooting for a couple weeks. Pun intended.

Excellent! :thumbsup: ;D
What, Me Worry?

stangzilla

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 08:38:35 PM »
Ruger GP100

Inspector

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 06:16:28 AM »
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

dustoff003

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
I tried again today this time with a rifle, Remington Model 552 Speedmaster, iron sights, CCI SV .22 LR. I guess I’ll be eating turkey after all 3 shots in the bird and 2 others out of the target area. I am happy all 5 shots are at least on the paper. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.