HR38- National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill - Thoughts and Concerns (Read 15967 times)

punaperson

Re: HR38- National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill - Thoughts and Concerns
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 07:10:55 AM »
So the Republicans have been in control of both chambers of the Congress and the executive branch for 23 months now... when are they getting the national concealed carry reciprocity act passed? Just askin'...
The bill dies when Congress adjournes in a few days.  It's all up to Young and Beck now.
I guess I need to end (most of) my posts with: /sarc.

Drakiir84

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 08:01:12 AM »
Worthless Republicans are worthless.  It's all a waste of fucking time.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

punaperson

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 01:05:48 PM »
Never fear! Now that the Democrats control the House... it's being re-introduced (today)! I guess the Republicans needed a Democrat majority in the House in order to make some progress in the Senate. Or... maybe now they'll do some serious grandstanding about how necessary it is and how they're so for it... now that it'll never pass again in the House.  :rofl: SMH  >:(

Rep. Hudson Reintroduces National Reciprocity on Day One of New Congress

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2019/01/03/rep-hudson-reintroduces-national-reciprocity-day-one-new-congress/

Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) reintroduced national reciprocity for concealed carry on the first day of the 116th Congress.

Hudson introduced carry reciprocity legislation in 2014 but got tremendous momentum with the introduction of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act on January 3, 2017. The legislation passed the House on December 6, 2017, and was never taken up by the Republican-controlled Senate.

changemyoil66

« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
Never fear! Now that the Democrats control the House... it's being re-introduced (today)! I guess the Republicans needed a Democrat majority in the House in order to make some progress in the Senate. Or... maybe now they'll do some serious grandstanding about how necessary it is and how they're so for it... now that it'll never pass again in the House.  :rofl: SMH  >:(

Rep. Hudson Reintroduces National Reciprocity on Day One of New Congress

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2019/01/03/rep-hudson-reintroduces-national-reciprocity-day-one-new-congress/

Rep. Richard Hudson (R-NC) reintroduced national reciprocity for concealed carry on the first day of the 116th Congress.

Hudson introduced carry reciprocity legislation in 2014 but got tremendous momentum with the introduction of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act on January 3, 2017. The legislation passed the House on December 6, 2017, and was never taken up by the Republican-controlled Senate.

Didn't they control both the house and senate, so the time to pass it is now gone.  Or because it already passed the majority vote, it now moves to the senate which we still control.

tillamook

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 01:19:18 PM »
Why can't this one or other states be forced to honor the CCW permits of other states the same way ALL states have been forced to issue and honor other states marriage licenses (Obergefell v. Hodges 2015). If you read the SCOTUS majority decision, changing a few words to reference 2A, it can be the exact same ruling.

Because it says you have to right in the constitution and everyone just ignores the constitution. 

"The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States."

They even said it again in the 14th

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

If it is legal in one state you cant be discriminated against in another.  I'm not a lawyer but it sounds very similar to "shall not be infringed"

But even Scalia said the clause had been interpreted out of existence. 

https://reason.com/archives/2010/03/04/guns-for-all-privileges-and-im

RSN172

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
Because GUNS, not people, kill people, the laws can be discriminated against.

zippz

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »
Didn't they control both the house and senate, so the time to pass it is now gone.  Or because it already passed the majority vote, it now moves to the senate which we still control.

It was reintroduced so would have to pass in the House again which it most likely won't.  If it does then would need 60 votes to pass in the Senate which it doesnt have.  On the high end projection  they might have maybe 56 but that's very optimistic.

Odds of it passing get worse for the rest of the decade.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

Charles Nichols

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »
It was reintroduced so would have to pass in the House again which it most likely won't.  If it does then would need 60 votes to pass in the Senate which it doesnt have.  On the high end projection  they might have maybe 56 but that's very optimistic.

Odds of it passing get worse for the rest of the decade.

It could have been attached to a budget bill, which requires a simple plurality to pass.  I believe it was Congressman Massie who asked Trump to do just that and Trump said, "Nyet!"

Given that Democrats will control the House of Representatives for the rest of the decade, the chance of any concealed carry bill passing is zero.

Not that the law would have ever gone into effect had it been passed.  All it takes is one district court judge to issue a nationwide injunction.

RSN172

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 06:32:16 AM »
The more I look at the restrictive CCW laws in HI, CA, NJ, MA, NY etc, and in light of the fact that we are all law abiding people who would never dream of doing anything illegal, I have come to this conclusion.  If anyone living  here wants to be able to legally carry a firearm for SD in their lifetime, you better plan to move to a free state. The only dimmest of hope is SCOTUS rules in our favor.  If that happens, can HI appeal a SCOTUS decision?  If not, can our legislature take 10 years to write laws that comply?

punaperson

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 06:53:29 AM »
The more I look at the restrictive CCW laws in HI, CA, NJ, MA, NY etc, and in light of the fact that we are all law abiding people who would never dream of doing anything illegal, I have come to this conclusion.  If anyone living  here wants to be able to legally carry a firearm for SD in their lifetime, you better plan to move to a free state. The only dimmest of hope is SCOTUS rules in our favor.  If that happens, can HI appeal a SCOTUS decision?

I'm pretty sure there is no further appeal after a SCOTUS ruling, except in the form of another lawsuit that would approach the question from a slightly different point of law.

If not, can our legislature take 10 years to write laws that comply?

When the Illinois ban on concealed/open carry was invalidated, the legislature was given 180 days to write a law conforming to the dictates of the court re the right to carry... they produced a law on (surprise) the 180th day.

But even if there is a relatively short time limit to produce a conforming law here in Hawaii, should that ever happen, it's likely (inevitable?) that the law will be highly restrictive, maybe to the point of not conforming, and certainly be subject to likely further lawsuits. Does anyone imagine that whatever law might be crafted would be as far as possible from permitless carry (now in effect in 12 states with two more about to join the club)? The legislators here know something about the incompetence and irresponsibility of Hawaii residents that makes it necessary to deem them criminals should they exercise their right to bear arms... I've asked them what they know, and how they know it, but they refuse to tell me.

TLDR: Yeah, if you want to (legally) carry, move to the United States (except downstate New York, Maryland, New Jersey, and parts of coastal California).

stangzilla

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
they should've voted on it long time ago.  what a waste.  that was one of my main points of voting for Trump, that and he's not HRC.
what a FAIL!!!!!   >:(

changemyoil66

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »
they should've voted on it long time ago.  what a waste.  that was one of my main points of voting for Trump, that and he's not HRC.
what a FAIL!!!!!   >:(

#MeToo