Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house? (Read 224098 times)

Tom_G

Re: Can I kill rats with an air pellet gun in the stream by my house?
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »
Maybe a couple of those ultrasonic rat repellers?  Might at least keep them off your property.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

macsak

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »
We actually do have a mongoose living in the area.  I've seen it in our patio a couple times.  He is outnumbered though.

Plenty feral cats around.  I don't think cats are the great rat killers of legend.   A jack Russel would be 1000x better than a cat.

Last night - 5 spring traps tripped.  no catches.  The live trap had one.    Weird, the live trap is actually the most effective.  Only once was the door down without a rat inside - it's 5 for 6.

which spring traps are you using?
the new style one with the well in the middle of the big paddle, or the old style ones with the little clip?
i tie the bait onto the clip with floss

one time we had a bunch in the ceiling above my office and the pest control guys came and they used those small dried shrimp
they used a cigarette lighter to singe it and make it smell more

robble1

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
which spring traps are you using?

Here is one of the Victors and the one I call Jaws:

Getting the rats to go for the bait isn't a problem.  It's keeping them stuck in the trap that is.  Notice how I put sharp nails on the victor and a spacer under the spring to make it stronger.   Doesn't matter.  They still get away much more often than not.  Jaws is much better than the victor at holding on but it doesn't get triggered as often as the Victors.

Also my blowgun arrived today.  However, it only had the target darts.  My hunting darts haven't arrived yet.

Here is an average size rat I've been catching.  The trap is 7" long and 3" wide:

Here is a fat female that Jaws caught.  Notice it just has her face.  If it was the victor I'm sure it would have gotten away.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:54:17 PM by robble1 »

SLORYDSTANG

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »
Yea the little dried shrimp works well, it's really hard for them to try and steal it w/o setting it off.  You can alway try glue boards in a a cardboard box, shrimp works good as well, peanut butter and some nuts leave oils that stops the stickiness the glue.  Should the action die down but signs of live rats are still present, (rats no longer hitting snap traps) try pre-baiting, baiting the trap but not setting it. let them feed for a week then set the traps.  As kids we use to go down to the park where there are a lot of kiawe tree, in the trees there would be HUGE nests, so we would open up on the nest with semiauto bb pistols, when the rats run out you'd drop the pistol and grab your Benjamin or Sheridan rifle and pick the rats off the branches. Those were the good old days!!!

macsak

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 05:01:58 PM »
wow, that female must be pregnant

i like your mods to the victor trap, it's amazing that it isn't that much more effective

which live trap are you using?

the best trap i ever saw was at the sugar loading docks at kawaihae harbor
the bottom of a case of soda/juice, lined with a trash bag, and filled with molasses
there were LAYERS of mice/rats stuck in them
it was crazy!

robble1

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
which live trap are you using?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPAVCG/?tag=2ahawaii-20

It has caught 5 of the 13.   Only once was it triggered and didn't have anything - and who knows, maybe i didn't set it well enough and the door fell on it's own.

edit 8/12  victor had #14 this morning.

edit: 8/13  all traps triggered last night.  Only the live trap had anything.  Blowgun arrived.  Wife doesn't want me to use it.

edit: 8/14 one of each type trap caught one last night.  body count 18.

8/15 20

8/16 22

8/17 24

8/18 not only didn't catch any but no traps were sprung!  does this mean progress or just smarter rats? I also bought two more victors and modded them with blowdart tips instead of nails.

8/19 caught two.  BC 26

8/20 only one of the older victors was sprung.  found the rat that "got away" a few feet away from the trap dead.  BC 27
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:09:10 AM by robble1 »

robble1

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPAVCG/?tag=2ahawaii-20

It has caught 5 of the 13.   Only once was it triggered and didn't have anything - and who knows, maybe i didn't set it well enough and the door fell on it's own.

edit 8/12  victor had #14 this morning.

edit: 8/13  all traps triggered last night.  Only the live trap had anything.  Blowgun arrived.  Wife doesn't want me to use it.

edit: 8/14 one of each type trap caught one last night.  body count 18.

8/15 20

8/16 22

8/17 24

8/18 not only didn't catch any but no traps were sprung!  does this mean progress or just smarter rats? I also bought two more victors and modded them with blowdart tips instead of nails.

8/19 caught two.  BC 26

8/20 only one of the older victors was sprung.  found the rat that "got away" a few feet away from the trap dead.  BC 27

8/21  3 victors sprung including new one with dart heads.  no rats caught.

stangzilla

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
congRATS on the bodycount!   :thumbsup:

MMM

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »

the smaller version works great for mice but since i saw the pics of the ones you caught, this one may be better.

macsak

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »

the smaller version works great for mice but since i saw the pics of the ones you caught, this one may be better.

this one looks pretty smart

Rocky

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »
Yes, that is the law.
Projectile must stay in/on your property.

I was shooting the  "feral" chickens in my yard with a pellet gun once and the neighbor who was feeding them called the cops.
Long story short, they wrote her up for feeding the feral chickens (unlawful). 8)

I still often shoot in my yard just for practice and in case that mongoose who keeps eating my fruit sticks his head around the corner.
Currently using the Gammo Whisper.
With it's "suppressor" it's not as loud as the other air rifles.
Using the PBA ammo (extra100FPS) it's louder than other air rifles.

If you do go on a compressed air projectile rat eradication program, set up a red flood light at night, get comfy with your "equipment" , acooler and have  fun night !

Between baiting, setting and emptying traps, it would take more time than I have to offer.
Around the garden and up at the ranch, we use mint/peppermint oil and plant mint where we want to keep the rats away. :geekdanc:
Place plant/oil where rats travel through or to.
Rats HATE mint.

If you nose becomes accustomed to the mint/peppermint oil, time to reapply.
Planting mint is less expensive, lasts longer and you can make Mint Julip's with it, right Tom?    :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:27:50 AM by Rocky »
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

macsak

Tom_G

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:28 PM »

Planting mint is less expensive, lasts longer and you can make Mint Julip's with it, right Tom?    :thumbsup:

Had a couple of those last night with mint from my garden!  Don't forget mojitos are another possibility.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Rocky

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 07:46:21 AM »
Had a couple of those last night with mint from my garden!  Don't forget mojitos are another possibility.
Makers Mark ?
“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.”
                                                           Franklin D. Roosevelt

robble1

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
disappear for a couple days and the thread revives lol.  Did n't post the last ocuple days mainly because I didn't catch anything.

8/21 3 victors spurng - no catch.
8/22 1 victor sprung - no catch.
The rolling drum over a barrel - I tried it.  All it did was feed the rats.  never caught anything with it for about 2 weeks.  Lots of peanut butter was eaten though.

robble1

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
Holy crap, I woke up this morning and I expected to find maybe one rat or some sprung traps. Instead I find a rat in each of the five victors and one in the live trap.  Jaws had not been sprung.

Body count 33

Tom_G

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
Holy crap, I woke up this morning and I expected to find maybe one rat or some sprung traps. Instead I find a rat in each of the five victors and one in the live trap.  Jaws had not been sprung.

Body count 33

Looks like they launched a counter-offensive!

GreenStomper

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
When rats attack, tonight on Fox.
God, guns, and guts made America. Let's keep all three!

Bigkahuna808

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • "He's got the eye of the Jew"
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
I use the old fashion bucket trap with good success.  Rat tries to reach from bucket rim to seeds bellow.   Falls in and drowns.  Trap can hold 3 large 10" rats before needing to be emptied.
Fill large bucket 1/3 with water
pour sunflower seeds into bucket enough to cover water
make wood plank ramp from ground to top of bucket
check every day.  Remove dead rat with shovel and repeat.   Will also catch mongoose.

robble1

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
pour sunflower seeds into bucket enough to cover water

Salted or unsalted? Shelled or whole?  :shaka:

This sounds tryable.  I've already caught rats in the past by accident in 5 gallon buckets half full of water.

also 8/24 11:50 pm.  have already caught 2 tonight.  body count 35   2nd edit: 1 more before midnight.  that makes 9 caught today 36 total.

8/25 am  2 more.  bc 38
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 08:39:35 AM by robble1 »