State wants to get ‘miraculous’ opioid overdose reversal drug to more addicts (Read 7403 times)

oldfart

What, Me Worry?

tillamook

Ah, the true criminals, the drug companies. 

Besides the fact that Purdue pharma pushed oxycontin as a completely safe, non-addictive med based on a bad study and then convinced the American Pain society to education doctors in training on the use of unlimited pain meds and then convinced the Joint Commission to insist that the "pain score" be included as a vital sign and insisting that every patient left the hospital with a pain score of zero. 

Now they charge $120 for a generic medicine that same dose IV costs $10 (as an auto injector for sale to public they charge over $2000). 

"The drug costs $120 for two nasal spray doses. The Health Department is trying to work with insurance companies to cover some of the costs. It costs up to $40 for the Naloxone injection."  No, not $40, $10. 

Yeah, you need to make the drug companies offer that medication for free.  Purdue CEO should be on TV every day apologizing for being a cartel and killing 7 times as many people as people murdered with the use of guns. 

25 gun bills in Hawaii, not one to punish the drug companies. 

Q

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:19:38 PM by Q »

Flapp_Jackson

Funny... The state wants to fix opiod addiction, yet won't promote or support treatments that actually work, like medically monitored psilocybin or ibogaine sessions.

Thousands of addicts fly to Mexico every year to go to ibogaine clinics, many of which have been able to break their addictions (especially with harder stuff like heroin) with a single season, but nah.... Let's use the most expensive pharmacological means possible. Who needs cheaper, more natural and safer medicines when we can get stuff from the guys who started the epidemic in the first place.

So, do we force people to accept treatment, knowing involuntary rehab is rarely effective, and as you said "many of which" break their addictions -- a far cry from "most" or "all" -- ...

Or do we use that money to save actual OD cases -- results that are immediate and can literally save lives?

Limited resources demand we make choices.  If we can't do both, are you going to roll the dice on "many" breaking their habit, and leave the rest to OD?

Maybe reducing addicts by letting them OD will save us enough money we can then send the remainder to rehab as many times as it takes to break their addictions?
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Q

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:15:39 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:19:52 PM by Q »

oldfart

I was just wondering who is supposed to pay for the distribution of this drug band-aid?
If it's insurance, then the cost is spread out to non-crackhead citizens, like me.
Why should I pay anything for somebody else's aberrant behavior?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 03:01:18 AM by oldfart »
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

Big pharma execs should be forced to take their "non addictive pain killers" for two weeks.  Then see what happens.

Flapp_Jackson

We get it. You're terrified of psychoactive substances, for whatever reason.

Go smoke some weed, drop some acid or eat some shrooms; you definitely need to emacipate yourself from the mental slavery indoctrination and kill that ego that makes everyone on this forum hate you.

I hear they have clinics in Mexico that might be able to help you out. One session and you'll be right as rain :rofl:

Ad hominem attack and derogatory comments. Who could have predicted?   :sleeping:

I see you have nothing factual to provide by way of answering the questions I asked. 

Typical emotional response to someone challenging your beliefs.
-- Melvin Udall

ren

I was raised in the Nancy Reagan era of "Just say no"
I still say no. I appreciated prescription pain killers when I was hospitalized. But that's it. Management of pain. Because like SSG Barnes- reality will still be there after the high wears off. Freedom is having choices and living with the consequences they bring. Go get high if you want but if something happens don't play the victim of your own vices. The CHOICE to take illicit hard core drugs is a big fork in the road and there's no turning back. Somehow our society treats it like a disease.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:06:13 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

I was raised in the Nancy Reagan era of "Just say no"
I still say no. I appreciated prescription pain killers when I was hospitalized. But that's it. Management of pain. Because like SSG Elias - reality will still be there after the high wears off. Freedom is having choices and living with the consequences they bring. Go get high if you want but if something happens don't play the victim of your own vices. The CHOICE to take illicit hard core drugs is a big fork in the road and there's no turning back. Somehow our society treats it like a disease.

Que Q's rant on emancipating yourself from your phobia of psychoactive substances ....

in 3 .... 2 .... 1 .... 

:popcorn:
-- Melvin Udall

Q

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:20:10 PM by Q »

drck1000

Whatever happened to the dustup on the cost of the epipens? That they were super expensive and folks that needed them couldn’t afford.

So now with push to make stuff like Narcan more accessible, I’m thinking it will only make things worse. As in it would push some to say “ah, all good. I can use and get something to reverse.”  So we’re saving those that don’t give a $hit and not helping those that have no choice (allergies”.

Yes, I get that there are many who got addicted from after effects of stuff like surgery, crashes, etc. I’m more thinking of those that flat about abuse. But maybe it would be hard to differentiate between the two.

Flapp_Jackson

Nah, Ren is cool. Although I disagree with him on many things, I respect his logical opinions and value his interaction on this forum because he doesn't constantly project his views and ideas into every single thread to start drama.

If I recall correctly, Doug, you are the only member in which people specifically asked to not comment in other threads because they are tired of your antics, and you are one of the Few users with whom the majority of members have a problem with; hence the reason why you needed to create like 3 different user profiles over the past several years.

So moosed/darmak/mauidog/flapp/Doug...sounds like your issues are deeper rooted than what you may perceive. The clinics in Mexico (or the hippies near kualoa) are always open to you to help out if you want to break this destructive cycle  :rofl:

You speak for the whole forum?

Good to know.  Is this something people voted on, or you just decided?

So, even though I didn't post an opinion either way, just asked questions to get an idea of how your thinking would apply in the real world, I get blasted by you for what? Just making a post?

But because you "know" ren, it's cool that he posts an opinion directly opposite of yours.

You need to seek professional help. Your hate isn't rational, especially since you own guns.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 12:43:36 PM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

Mauidog !
That’s the aka I keep forgetting.

Direct question Doug, since you pretend no one will answer yours:     Why 4 forum aliases on one forum ?
You’ve never answered that question. Pretty direct I might add.

Now  :stopjack:
( sorry OF, respect)

Here’s a link to the advertisement at the bottom of my page on this topic.

https://www.opiates.com/rapid-detox/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&network=d&adposition=none&keyword=opiate_addiction&matchtype=&device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_nVi4Tq4AIVk9RbCh1hmQaBEAEYASAAEgLImPD_BwE

Oh, the irony.

(Back under my rock)

Heavies

Re: State wants to get ‘miraculous’
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:38 PM »

Q

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 05:27:27 PM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 10:20:27 PM by Q »

hvybarrels

I'm a reformed former troll. The good news is it's never too late to change.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

macsak

Whatever happened to the dustup on the cost of the epipens? That they were super expensive and folks that needed them couldn’t afford.

So now with push to make stuff like Narcan more accessible, I’m thinking it will only make things worse. As in it would push some to say “ah, all good. I can use and get something to reverse.”  So we’re saving those that don’t give a $hit and not helping those that have no choice (allergies”.

Yes, I get that there are many who got addicted from after effects of stuff like surgery, crashes, etc. I’m more thinking of those that flat about abuse. But maybe it would be hard to differentiate between the two.
:stopjack:
went to a lecture on the opioid epidemic in Hawaii and alternatives to opioid therapy
speaker was from UPenn, and he mentioned the local bill to make the naloxone nasal spray available
he said it is a TERRIBLE idea
the usual dose of the drug is 0.4 mg, and the nasal spray is 4.0 mg!
if the person is not ODing on opioids, you are giving them 10x the normal dose
his other example is Prince, he had an OD the week before he died, but someone was there to administer the Narcan
the time he died, there was no one there with him
the speaker stressed that if you ever need to use the drug, you need to make sure that the recipient is going to get help after the incident

changemyoil66

I can sleep just fine at night if a crackhead ODs and doesnt get the reversal stick.  1 less dumbass around.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:25:15 PM by changemyoil66 »