Drilling a water well? (Read 8928 times)

oldfart

Drilling a water well?
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »
Does anybody know anything about drilling a water well here in hawaii?
What, Me Worry?

Heavies

Re: Drilling a water well?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »
If you are in an old residential area, might not be a good idea.....  too many cesspools, past and present.  Tag on the topic though, interested in how to do this.

kia_killer

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Now you can have it.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Have friends that have done it here on Oahu. Gotta find the water table and determine how deep you need to drill. I believe if your close to the ocean, the water is likely to be brackish. They had a company that does well drilling do theirs. They did theirs awhile ago, and last I heard new permitting now makes it pretty hard to drill a well on your own land.  :grrr:

dustoff003

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:51:15 PM »

Have friends that have done it here on Oahu. Gotta find the water table and determine how deep you need to drill. I believe if your close to the ocean, the water is likely to be brackish. They had a company that does well drilling do theirs. They did theirs awhile ago, and last I heard new permitting now makes it pretty hard to drill a well on your own land.  :grrr:

Hey bud! I was gonna look into it at my old place because I believe there was a abandoned well pipe there. I could be wrong but I think I recall reading that you'd have to still pay BWS to pump from your own well, or I could be imagining.

kia_killer

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Now you can have it.
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:08:23 PM »
Hey bud! I was gonna look into it at my old place because I believe there was a abandoned well pipe there. I could be wrong but I think I recall reading that you'd have to still pay BWS to pump from your own well, or I could be imagining.

Great minds think alike. I was looking into a well here, but I heard that board of water supply changed the permitting since they don't want people taking any of their business.  :-\  not sure if they charge you once you get a well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm still pursuing a well, but other things took priority. How's your new yard coming along?

dustoff003

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »

Great minds think alike. I was looking into a well here, but I heard that board of water supply changed the permitting since they don't want people taking any of their business.  :-\  not sure if they charge you once you get a well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm still pursuing a well, but other things took priority. How's your new yard coming along?
its okay the front grass is fairly full I have yet to do the back yard yet.

B.A. Baracus

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:24:33 PM »

It's not that BWS doesn't want anyone taking there business, It's all about protecting the resource we have from cross contanmination, over pumping & even terrorist attacks.
Once one of those happens our resource is gone!!!! The water is pretty much free, you're just paying for the delivery service to your tap!

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
It's not that BWS doesn't want anyone taking there business, It's all about protecting the resource we have from cross contanmination, over pumping & even terrorist attacks.
Once one of those happens our resource is gone!!!! The water is pretty much free, you're just paying for the delivery service to your tap!
You are correct. On this island the water is almost free. It's the sewer fees that suck.
I was wondering about a water source on a different island far from civilization.
What, Me Worry?

B.A. Baracus

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
You are correct. On this island the water is almost free. It's the sewer fees that suck.
I was wondering about a water source on a different island far from civilization.

You would have to check with the county of the island that you want to drill.
Oahu is out of the question, but other counties not so populated might still let you, with the right permit.

zippz

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:17:26 PM »
I could see how a permit and regulations are required since water's a shared resource and you're pumping water beneath other peoples property.  Would suck if a water bottling plant sprung up nextdoor and your well is dry overnight.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

pudgster

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »
I could see how a permit and regulations are required since water's a shared resource and you're pumping water beneath other peoples property.  Would suck if a water bottling plant sprung up nextdoor and your well is dry overnight.

You need to apply for a well construction permit with CWRM then drill and test your well for water quality and sustainable yield.  Based on the results of the tests, you apply for a pump installation permit from CWRM.  They control your water allocation based on the size of the pump you can install.  Depth to water table can get pretty deep and can cost 6 to 7 digits in some locations.  Not many water resource engineers in Hawaii either if you arent planning on designing everything yourself...

GZire

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 03:13:44 PM »
If you are in an old residential area, might not be a good idea.....  too many cesspools, past and present.  Tag on the topic though, interested in how to do this.
You can case the hole.  Would add more $$, but it would seal the hole.  I'd stay away from trying to drill the hole, CLSM it and drill through it.

You can drill deeper to get into a different layer of the aquifer.

Oldfart............I can't tell you the specifics of the design and permitting of well drilling, but you can get into some serious cost depending on how deep you need to go, if it needs to be cased, and what you are drilling through.

You can contact Valley Well Drilling.  They should be able to give you a rough idea of costs.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:35:04 PM »
You can case the hole.  Would add more $$, but it would seal the hole.  I'd stay away from trying to drill the hole, CLSM it and drill through it.

You can drill deeper to get into a different layer of the aquifer.

Oldfart............I can't tell you the specifics of the design and permitting of well drilling, but you can get into some serious cost depending on how deep you need to go, if it needs to be cased, and what you are drilling through.

You can contact Valley Well Drilling.  They should be able to give you a rough idea of costs.
Thanks for the input. I'm exploring all the possibilities of what can be done with a few acres of land in a really remote location.
What, Me Worry?

BigBlue

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
If it's just for personal use (no irrigation), you're better off with catchment than wells here.

Inspector

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 06:39:36 AM »
If it's just for personal use (no irrigation), you're better off with catchment than wells here.
True Dat.
I have catchment on my home on the BI. Works well for up to 4 people with a 10k gallon tank. After that you might have to buy water once or twice a year. Depends on how much rain we get. Even so, water delivery is still fairly inexpensive over there. Last time I priced it, it was $160 for 6k gallons.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!