brass catcher designs (Read 28526 times)

ren

brass catcher designs
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »
Can anyone post some pics or ideas for a brass catcher. I'm shooting more pistol now and I have a fishnet but was wondering about the height etc. I'm thinking a piece of board with the fshnet upright.
Deeds Not Words

jaynick

Re: brass catcher designs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
im thinking of building my own take on one of these http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11242530/reloading-gear/reloading-other/universal-brass-catcher-bubca-iii-commercial

good for pistol and rifle.

42itus

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:04:05 PM »

ren

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
great ideas! thanks :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Or for $45 you can buy the one that the guy who works at the pistol range makes. Very good quality. Worth the price. Just a suggestion.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

42itus

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
Or for $45 you can buy the one that the guy who works at the pistol range makes. Very good quality. Worth the price. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, that's a good one too.

Teichi

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
From the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules:

"3.9.1 Deflecting Screens Shooters may use a screen fastened to their shooting kit, or similarly placed, to
deflect empty cases, provided the screen is made of material such as "Hardware Cloth," with wires not larger than
1/16 inch in diameter and spaced not closer than 1/4 inch. Screens of solid material may not be used."

Brass catchers for competition cannot have mesh smaller than 1/4 inch also.

Anything goes for practice and beware of old guys that think that you don't want your brass if you don't have a catcher.

dirsh

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:20:29 AM »
I just bought the "convertible" one from tony at the pistol range. It can be used with rifle or pistol. Good stuff
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

GZire

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
From the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules:

"3.9.1 Deflecting Screens Shooters may use a screen fastened to their shooting kit, or similarly placed, to
deflect empty cases, provided the screen is made of material such as "Hardware Cloth," with wires not larger than
1/16 inch in diameter and spaced not closer than 1/4 inch. Screens of solid material may not be used."

Brass catchers for competition cannot have mesh smaller than 1/4 inch also.

Anything goes for practice and beware of old guys that think that you don't want your brass if you don't have a catcher.

Indeed, the brass vultures do get pretty active.

jaynick

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
can someone post a pic of what the guy at the range is selling? may just buy one instead. support local and support my laziness. the one posted from ebay looks not bad either but im not sure if my small tripod will tip over and my large tripod is heavy and cumbersome.

jaynick

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:39:19 AM »

Indeed, the brass vultures do get pretty active.

when i first started shooting i used to kind of enjoy watching guys swoop in and vulture my brass like fish in a pond. now it gets a little annoying, sometimes guys from a few lanes over start asking, if i dont pick them up after every few mags.. wish they were as quick to pick up the thousand .22 casings i create every time i go to the silhouette side :rofl:

hawaiian

brass catcher designs
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
Yeah those brass vultures lol. I had a girl come up last week asking for my brass so I told em she could have them as long as she cleaned after me when I was done. Win win

42itus

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:25:42 AM »
can someone post a pic of what the guy at the range is selling? may just buy one instead. support local and support my laziness. the one posted from ebay looks not bad either but im not sure if my small tripod will tip over and my large tripod is heavy and cumbersome.

small tripod will tip over.  I was going to make a stand with a metal plate as the base, but haven't gotten around to it.  the one that the RO makes is a good compact one.

sound wave

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 1,540 meters per second
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 02:41:53 AM »

yeah, could someone please post what it looks like? 

my rifle range brass catcher has a tripod attachment on the bottom.  i tried using that on the pistol range and silhouette range, but my tripod was the wrong height... also the wind kept blowing it over.

i am assuming the one the one the RO makes for the pistol range will work on the silhouette side as well?

dirsh

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »
here's the one from tony

I was shooting rifle and then flipped it up and extended to demonstrate pistol. It had more than enough (for me) height for shooting pistol on the silhouette side. The pole can sometimes get in the way when shooting rifle, but it's still pretty good.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

dirsh

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
just noticed that in the pic it looks like it won't catch anything in pistol mode. it was really windy and it blew the net up cuz there wasn't any shells to hold it down. I just flipped it up real quick to take a pic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
╾━╤デ╦︻

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
thanks for posting that up.  how much does it cost?  does he bring them with him to the range so you can buy it on the spot? 

ren

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »
brass catchers might be required next year... people complained
Deeds Not Words

sound wave

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:01:17 PM »
required on which side?

Inspector

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
It's more like only one or two specific people constantly complain. It will be required on the rifle side and the RO's on the pistol side are already trying to keep the brass under control. But I am afraid it will probably spill over on that side as well.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!