NVG training (Read 6406 times)

zippz

NVG training
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:41 AM »
Looking to get a set of NVGs to train with.  I've used them a little in the military but not as much as I should have.

I'm looking to go hiking with them, shoot rats, and take a night class in the mainland.  I've heard throwing tennis balls back and forth with someone helps to get used to the depth perception.

What are you doing with yours or other training you've done with them
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

Re: NVG training
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:59:23 PM »
I'm still collecting bottles and cans to get a set...that was a bout 3 years ago...not there yet.
Deeds Not Words

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
Airsoft can be a somewhat useful tool. You’ll have to get a IR laser though which is at least another $450ish or so for something like a a Zenitco Perst 4.
Other options can include the holosun IR lasers and the Steiner Otal-C IR. None of these have a IR Illuminator though. The Streamlight TLR VIR-II has a built in IR Illuminator but there are not wire pressure pad/switches available for it.

WTF?Shane

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »
Airsoft can be a somewhat useful tool. You’ll have to get a IR laser though which is at least another $450ish or so for something like a a Zenitco Perst 4.
Other options can include the holosun IR lasers and the Steiner Otal-C IR. None of these have a IR Illuminator though. The Streamlight TLR VIR-II has a built in IR Illuminator but there are not wire pressure pad/switches available for it.

There are airsoft copies of DBALs and PEQ units that have IR laser.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:12:05 PM »
There are airsoft copies of DBALs and PEQ units that have IR laser.

The G&P GP959 airsoft laser can handle 223/556. I have one myself and that thing is basically a class 3 IR laser. I know a few guys who have the same model with good results.

zippz

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:15:57 PM »
I ordered the TNVG PVS14, it has a 5 to 6 month wait time so it'll be a while.  Then I have to figure out what helmet and mount to get next.

I'm going to try shooting passively through my red dots first which supposedly takes a lot of practice to do.  I'd rather not buy and hang another gadget off my rifle and pistol if I can avoid it.  Using it for airsoft is a good idea, trial by fire. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 11:11:06 PM »
Aiming through the dot with nods does indeed require a lot of practice but IR lasers seem the most practical and primary way to do it. Steiner has this tiny IR laser called the TOR-Mini IR VPC that’s affordable and real compact but you might have to remove your front irons if you have one and if you mount it to the 12:00.

I recommend the Team Wendy Exfil LTP bump helmet which comfortable and has all the bells and whistles in terms of hardware but something like the Protec PT A-Bravo half shell might work too but I’ve never tried it. Supposedly you can wear earpro under it but I think that might require some modification to the foam liner and will need a NVG shroud, adhesive Velcro, and a counterweight.

aaronc5362

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 06:12:38 PM »
Team wendy are solid.

But hard head veterans, i think thats the name, ridiculously cheaper and i hear great things about them. Like on par with team wendy. And iirc most wendy accessories are compatible. Atleast when they first came out it was way cheaper. No clue now .

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 06:49:00 PM »
Team wendy are solid.

But hard head veterans, i think thats the name, ridiculously cheaper and i hear great things about them. Like on par with team wendy. And iirc most wendy accessories are compatible. Atleast when they first came out it was way cheaper. No clue now .

I wouldn’t get them as ballistic helmets but the bump helmets are probably okay (?). No idea on the accessories rail compatibility though.

aaronc5362

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 04:56:03 AM »
I think i seen a video that it has mlok compatibility so... pretty much gtg. Iirc its more identical to ops core in terms of design, but team wendy padding should work as well as agilite accessories. Idk its been somewhere around 6-12 months since i saw their ad. So i just checked out their website back then. Lol

zippz

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 06:49:30 AM »
New top of the line ballistic helmets are a bit pricey and difficult to justify in the budget.  Ive heard Kota being recommended as a cheaper option or moddifying surplus helmets.  I'll invest in a good bump helmet which is what ill use most of the time.

Tnvc, where I bought the nvg, has some classes on the mainland
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 02:37:42 PM by zippz »

Mdotweber

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 01:49:15 PM »
What kind of damage are you looking at if a BB hits your objective lense? I wouldnt wanna risk it, the obj lense is a cheaper part of the nod but changing them and purging will eventually get old and expensive.  Im putting away for wizard eyes too, we can play catch when we're "equipped".
"Dont forget, incoming fire has the right of way"-Clint Smith?

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »
Warranty?

zippz

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »
Warranty?

It's 10 years on the tube and lifetime on everything else and is transferable

It has a sacrificial lens for the obj to help protect it.  The bigger problem is dropping it and screwing up the stuff inside the tube.

zippz

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 10:15:04 AM »
Tnvc has their virtual shot show this week and today's the last day to enter to win a pvs14 at 3pm today.  There's also coupons for nvgs and accessories, opscore, safariland, and other stuff.  They also have a discount for ar15.com members year-round.

http://tnvc.com/vSHOTT

Phazuka

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »
One word, Mawl.

What kind of special training do you need for NVG's?  You'll want a 1.93in Scalarworks LEAP mount and a compatible red dot.  I suggest an Aimpoint T2, Holosun CM515 solar powered red dot with 2 different reticles to choose from or the Primary Arms Cyclops, which I have on a 1.53 Scalarworks.  The Aimpoints are overpriced with limited features other than battery life.

The most important accessory is a B.E. Meyers Mawl that has a fantastic IR illuminator, IR laser and visible laser in a compact package.  You have controls on the rail mount and tailcaps for tape switches.

I just ordered my NVG'S from TNVC....the Ruggedized NVGs, low profile battery pack and MAWL for $10,100 with Mil discount.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:25:47 PM by Phazuka »

WTF?Shane

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2021, 10:05:42 PM »
One word, Mawl.

What kind of special training do you need for NVG's?  You'll want a 1.93in Scalarworks LEAP mount and a compatible red dot.  I suggest an Aimpoint T2, Holosun CM515 solar powered red dot with 2 different reticles to choose from or the Primary Arms Cyclops, which I have on a 1.53 Scalarworks.  The Aimpoints are overpriced with limited features other than battery life.

The most important accessory is a B.E. Meyers Mawl that has a fantastic IR illuminator, IR laser and visible laser in a compact package.  You have controls on the rail mount and tailcaps for tape switches.

I just ordered my NVG'S from TNVC....the Ruggedized NVGs, low profile battery pack and MAWL for $10,100 with Mil discount.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's a lot of high dollar stuff that a lot of people here probably aren't looking to spend.

LDI/Steiner DBAL-D2 seems to be the best option if trying to budget.

KMConcepts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Firearms Accessories Training Simunitions
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • KMconcepts
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »
 :popcorn:
600 Kapiolani Blvd #103
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
(808) 235-6416