Car A/C service (Read 1892 times)

Tom_G

Car A/C service
« on: July 27, 2020, 08:48:09 AM »
Aloha all!
My 99 Ford Ranger has had a tiny refrigerant leak for years. I'd put a can in each summer and be fine. This year, though, it's upped its game... a can of refrigerant only lasts about a month.

I'm looking for a reputable and affordable A/C repair service. Where have you had good experiences? Also, where should I avoid?
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

RSN172

Re: Car A/C service
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:58:36 AM »
When I lived on Oahu, I used Dan at Thumb Cooling.  Mobile, he will come to you so more reasonable than a shop.  I recommended him to 2 friends who were very happy with his work.  His nbr is 808-2557845.

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »
Don't go to Larrys on Waialae ave.  Neighbor took his car there and put his initials on the compressor.  They charged him to replace it.  When he got his car back, his initials were still on it.  He confronted them and was told to leave.  At least he didn't have to pay.  AC did work, so he thinks a rebuild.  They could have easily said, billing error, but they didn't.

This was about 19 years ago.

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 10:52:50 AM »
Mike's AC and auto repair in kalihi did my 2006 civic's AC a couple years ago.  did a good job.  crowded place tho, best to go first in the morning. 

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:39:25 PM »
Kuroda's Radiator on Kam HWY near Pearlridge Mall.

Well, Kuroda was my top pick, but I just read on their FB page they went out of business in June 2018.   :(

Do you have an AC that uses the R-134a refrigerant?  If so, have you tried any of the Stop Leak products?  Might be worth $15 to see if that will fix the leak.

https://www.autozone.com/a-c-charging-and-refrigerant/a-c-stop-leak/a-c-certified-pro-super-seal-a-c-treatment-3oz/441054_0_0

If you aren't using the new refrigerant, you might need to think about a retrofit.  I think trying to get the old type repaired will cost you extra for the refrigerant, assuming anyone has it.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

RSN172

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:23:19 PM »
It was in 2010 that cars changed over from R22 to the newer refrigerants.  I was going to have my AC guy just change the leaking evaporator in my 2001 Dodge Ram, but he suggested changing everything because it was already 12 years old and would cost only $550 more vs the $800 to change the evaporator which required taking out the whole dashboard.  So I got a new compressor, hoses, condenser, evaporator and whatever else, a whole new system with the new cheaper gas.  That was in 2013.  I still have the truck and the AC is still blowing ice cold.

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »
It's an R-134a system (according to the internet, R-134a became the dominant refrigerant in 1994.) I refuse to put stop-leak into it. That stuff is notorious for crippling systems... a $15 bandaid could change a $300 repair into a $800 repair.

Dan is coming over Wednesday. His Yelp reviews are all extremely positive, and I do love not having to leave the house!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
It's an R-134a system (according to the internet, R-134a became the dominant refrigerant in 1994.) I refuse to put stop-leak into it. That stuff is notorious for crippling systems... a $15 bandaid could change a $300 repair into a $800 repair.

Dan is coming over Wednesday. His Yelp reviews are all extremely positive, and I do love not having to leave the house!

You're right about Leak Stop, depending on the exact cause and location of the leak.  The negatives outweigh the positives if you intend to have the AC serviced in the future.  If, however, you are just trying to help the current AC blow cold air for as long as possible so you can delay the inevitable full system replacement, then the product does have some merit.

If the truck is from 1999, making the AC 10+ years old, you may be in the ballpark range of the AC's normal lifespan.  I've had a 1989 Plymouth Voyager minivan need the AC replaced with 8 years of use.  I might have gotten by with a condenser replacement, but since the newer standard was mandated, I went ahead and replaced the whole system with R-134a.  It was explained that the old refrigerant was almost cost-prohibitive, as you needed special certifications and licenses to even order it, and there were special requirements for storage and training employees to use it.  It was becoming almost impossible to find on Oahu, so I opted for a retrofit.

I've had 2 ACs fail within 10 years of purchase.  All my other vehicles have gone 12-14 years with no AC problems, just routine maintenance and service when they stop making cold air.

Then again, we are talking about a Ford here, aren't we?   :rofl:
-- Melvin Udall

LRT

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 08:50:07 PM »
Mike’s A/C & Auto Repair

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 06:23:50 PM »
Was Dan able to fix your AC?

Tom_G

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
Dan from Thumb Cooling was amazing! He spotted an obvious leak at the condenser. He offered to replace just the faulty component, or since we were talking about 20+ year old original components, go ahead and replace all the major parts. I do plan to keep this truck until the end of time, so I went with "buy once, cry once" and had him replace it all. Two hours later, conditioned air! Shy of $1500 (not a lot shy, but shy).

RSN172

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:07:00 AM »
That's what he recommended for my 2001 Dodge in 2013 when I told him I plan to keep this truck till it can't be fixed anymore.  7 years later, still blowing ice cold air.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 01:15:39 PM »
I've heard from many mechanics and customers of AC repair types that ACs in Hawaii have a short lifespan compared to most mainland locations due to year-round use.  Average time before having to replace some, if not all, of the major components is 7-10 years.

One tip that a friend told me his AC repairman gave him was to occasionally set the AC for outside air.  It supposedly helps keep the AC from retaining moisture which helps avoid rust.

Recirculated air has less oxygen and more moisture.  When that's continuously recirculated through the AC, the moisture builds upon itself.  Outside air is drier, and it can help remove that moisture.

Some newer systems measure the moisture in the cabin and switches to outside air automatically as needed.

Not an AC expert.  Just passing along what I've been told & read.
-- Melvin Udall