Water Storage for Evacuation (Read 20165 times)

DesertRangerTycho

Re: Water Storage for Evacuation
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 04:26:46 PM »
Assume folks will have very different plans based on their circumstances (yeah, thanks Capt Obvious  ;D ).  For me, I sort of have a series of "safehouses" with family where I have either encouraged that household stock up on stuff or flat out got some stuff for them.  That includes stuff like water, medical supplies, etc.  Sure, I have close friends where we've discussed stuff like "if X happens, I'll come over your place with Y" and vice versa.  While I do think contingencies with close friends are good, in my case, I am more depending on the contingencies with family.  There was a thread a while back on how would one react in the case where the individual has taken time and spent money investing in preps and how they would handle friends and family assistance.  It was an interesting discussion, but the point I was getting to is that I think a lot of the "preplanning" goes out the window depending on the disaster event.  Like those books like Lights Out and the ones about EMPs have some eye/mind opening stories in that regard.  People tend to envision a certain scenario and prepare for that, which is logical given we all don't have unlimited resources.  But a saying that a mentor shared with me a while back always stuck with me is that "95% of the time, it's what you don't see coming that will kick your ass".

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  Looking at the different scenarios, a Category 3-5 hurricane is the most likely scenario and would have the most devastating effect on the island/state.  Surface water would be contaminated with dissolved chemicals not removable by most filters.  Most electrical and water distribution would be inoperative or likely completely destroyed. I would also expect the destruction of more than 50% of all homes and buildings and a death toll in the tens of thousands.  As we have seen by the incompetence at the airport last week, the authorities have NO PLAN. 

My original question regarded how to carry water in the case of emergency.  After reading this thread I plan to have (2) 2 Liter bladders per person, plus two 7 gallon totes on a cart.  It ain't perfect but at least it is something. 

To your point about going to family first, how do you know there house can take the 120MPH winds of a large hurricane?  Personally, I think anyone living in a singlewall construction home needs to plan complete evacuation in any hurricane scenario.  I am leaning in favor of setting aside funds evacuate off island in the case of a large storm.  Any evacuation scenario, of course, would require leaving prior to the event since our airports will all be destroyed by storm surge in most scenarios.

drck1000

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:43 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  Looking at the different scenarios, a Category 3-5 hurricane is the most likely scenario and would have the most devastating effect on the island/state.  Surface water would be contaminated with dissolved chemicals not removable by most filters.  Most electrical and water distribution would be inoperative or likely completely destroyed. I would also expect the destruction of more than 50% of all homes and buildings and a death toll in the tens of thousands.  As we have seen by the incompetence at the airport last week, the authorities have NO PLAN. 

My original question regarded how to carry water in the case of emergency.  After reading this thread I plan to have (2) 2 Liter bladders per person, plus two 7 gallon totes on a cart.  It ain't perfect but at least it is something. 

To your point about going to family first, how do you know there house can take the 120MPH winds of a large hurricane?  Personally, I think anyone living in a singlewall construction home needs to plan complete evacuation in any hurricane scenario.  I am leaning in favor of setting aside funds evacuate off island in the case of a large storm.  Any evacuation scenario, of course, would require leaving prior to the event since our airports will all be destroyed by storm surge in most scenarios.
Good points and good discussion.   :thumbsup:

For my situation, a strong hurricane is also the mostly likely concern.  Well, I'm thinking primarily an extended power outage due to strong hurricane.  Where I live combined with locations of "contingency" family are all quite diverse.  Yup, one is a single wall house, but location is "good" in that it's in a somewhat proven wind shelter area.  Bring in a Cat 5 though and probably buh-bye.   :(  Another is an "improved" home that is more robust, but getting there is tougher if walking.  All not the best, but what we've got to work with. 

Carrying water in case of emergency, I'd likely pack up as much as I can in a Camelbak and other similar pouch and try best to get to contingency location.  I do think that my residence is one of the more robust compared to the others (concrete building, higher floor so less risk of windborne debris, etc), but still. . .

I hear ya on operational preparedness or lack thereof with our infrastructure.  When seemingly small events can literally cripple an island is def not good. 

Interesting thought of emergency get out of town funding.  Would you envision going to the mainland and staying in hotels and stuff?  Or trying to stay with relatives?  Never thought about that.  Though I do have relatives spread out across the mainland with enough property that they "could" help for a while. 

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
Good points and good discussion.   :thumbsup:

For my situation, a strong hurricane is also the mostly likely concern.  Well, I'm thinking primarily an extended power outage due to strong hurricane.  Where I live combined with locations of "contingency" family are all quite diverse.  Yup, one is a single wall house, but location is "good" in that it's in a somewhat proven wind shelter area.  Bring in a Cat 5 though and probably buh-bye.   :(  Another is an "improved" home that is more robust, but getting there is tougher if walking.  All not the best, but what we've got to work with. 

Carrying water in case of emergency, I'd likely pack up as much as I can in a Camelbak and other similar pouch and try best to get to contingency location.  I do think that my residence is one of the more robust compared to the others (concrete building, higher floor so less risk of windborne debris, etc), but still. . .

I hear ya on operational preparedness or lack thereof with our infrastructure.  When seemingly small events can literally cripple an island is def not good. 

Interesting thought of emergency get out of town funding.  Would you envision going to the mainland and staying in hotels and stuff?  Or trying to stay with relatives?  Never thought about that.  Though I do have relatives spread out across the mainland with enough property that they "could" help for a while.

In the case of the "Leave the Island" scenario I would go either to family homes on the mainland or overseas. Since we have an established place to go we can leave most of our clothes behind but my guns will be "evacuating" with our family.  Setting up a hotel is also an option but would require further preparation.  For us this is a last resort (literally :)  The real problem in this scenario is that the airport will be insane with Tourists trying to "Get out of Dodge" as well.  I am still mulling over what condition would trigger the evacuation scenario for us and if it can be done before the panic sets in.

changemyoil66

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
In the case of the "Leave the Island" scenario I would go either to family homes on the mainland or overseas. Since we have an established place to go we can leave most of our clothes behind but my guns will be "evacuating" with our family.  Setting up a hotel is also an option but would require further preparation.  For us this is a last resort (literally :)  The real problem in this scenario is that the airport will be insane with Tourists trying to "Get out of Dodge" as well.  I am still mulling over what condition would trigger the evacuation scenario for us and if it can be done before the panic sets in.
At least the hotel law on no guns didnt pass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 12:42:09 PM »
At least the hotel law on no guns didnt pass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At least here in Hawaii.  Since tix are cheap to Las Vegas I was thinking about getting a hotel room there.  Rolling in with three rollers full of pew should go over well :)

changemyoil66

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »
At least here in Hawaii.  Since tix are cheap to Las Vegas I was thinking about getting a hotel room there.  Rolling in with three rollers full of pew should go over well :)

Guitar case bro.  Gotta be ninja.

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2019, 07:37:53 AM »
Guitar case bro.  Gotta be ninja.

Ninja?  Oh, Dude. You missed it.  Gotta be El Mariachi!  ;D

drck1000

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
Ninja?  Oh, Dude. You missed it.  Gotta be El Mariachi!  ;D
Desperado, not Ninja. . .

One of my good friends carries his long guns in a guitar case.  His neighbors thinks he's in a band or something.   ;D

RSN172

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2019, 10:30:56 AM »
A guitar case?  More than a few guys here will need one or two bass cases.

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2019, 04:04:48 PM »
A guitar case?  More than a few guys here will need one or two bass cases.

Hotels might be a bit suspicious when the haole boy rolls in with 4 bass cases...  might need an airbnb...

London808

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2019, 07:30:50 PM »
I think at last count i had 20 cases of water so im bugging in. I could throw that in my van and drive wherever i wanted tho. I also have a few sawyer mini's and life straws as well as chemical treatment for my water. A 5 gallon bucket and a 10x10 tarp will fill up in the overnight rains most places.

"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

DesertRangerTycho

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
I think at last count i had 20 cases of water so im bugging in. I could throw that in my van and drive wherever i wanted tho. I also have a few sawyer mini's and life straws as well as chemical treatment for my water. A 5 gallon bucket and a 10x10 tarp will fill up in the overnight rains most places.

Given that you live in the flood zone being able to mobilize somewhere upslope would be advisable.  If only you knew someone who had enough room in his house to shelter you....  ;)

Honestly,  I do not trust those tsnumani inundation zone maps.  Given a large hurricane, the tidal surge could be 10-20 feet.  After superstorm Sandy hit FEMA revised all the flood maps to increased the zone size to include areas 3' in elevation higher than was though possible.

RSN172

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »
I am at over 2000ft elevation, and at least 12 miles inland, so I don't worry about tsunamis at my home.  Hurricanes, you have days to prepare.  Worst thing would be a major earthquake causing extensive damage like the 1906 Great SF quake because it would come without warning.

drck1000

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2019, 08:40:02 AM »
I am at over 2000ft elevation, and at least 12 miles inland, so I don't worry about tsunamis at my home.  Hurricanes, you have days to prepare.  Worst thing would be a major earthquake causing extensive damage like the 1906 Great SF quake because it would come without warning.
Having lived in WA and going through some pretty serious quakes there and in CA, I used to think "why the hell is BI zone 4 (older seismic design requirement at the time)?  It's not even near a plate fault".  All the quakes I experienced growing up in HI were where weren't sure if maybe it was a gust of wind.  Then I was in the area of KMC when the big shakers happened when the lava was flowing last spring.  That was strong enough to rock the heavy metal shipping containers.  It also lasted quite a while.  Could definitely see that causing a bunch of damage, especially to county water and power infrastructure.  You're probably self sufficient, but I bet many of the other folks there are not. 

Now they are saying Mauna Loa is showing signs. . . not anything major, but still. 

changemyoil66

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 09:32:56 AM »

Damn I gotta pump up my numbers.

London808

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
Damn I gotta pump up my numbers.

We own  house which makes things easier. Best storage area is under your bed.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 10:08:53 AM »
We own  house which makes things easier. Best storage area is under your bed.
Where do you store your ammo then?  ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »

2:57

London808

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2019, 10:58:58 AM »

In ammo cans buried far away from my house.

macsak

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2019, 11:27:37 AM »
In ammo cans buried far away from my house.

i do not own any guns, ammo, or any reloading components...