dry firing in your yard (Read 3703 times)

changemyoil66

Re: dry firing in your yard
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 08:45:32 PM »
yeah, it would be nice to do gun cleaning on the lanai in back of my house, fresh breeze and all, but HI being fervent anti-gun, anti-2A, I don't want to invite the penalty process by an ignorant paranoid neighbor who happens to look over  the fence, which unfortunately is only chest-high, even for short HI people.

and then the neighbors consider you to be The Gun Nut, and Red Flag laws and all...  :shake:

too much down-side risk.  JMHO.

ETA:  I guess that makes me the paranoid person.
A neighbor cannot file a red flag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 08:51:14 PM »
A neighbor cannot file a red flag.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Is your neighbor a police officer?  Doctor?  Nurse?

Just throwing that out there.  Lots of people work within the system, so it's possible a neighbor can report you via red flag laws, whether or not it's appropriate based on their lack of association with you.
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2023, 05:03:47 AM »
You are correct.  Never answer questions.
Make statements, ask questions.
I need a lawyer.
Am I free to go?
Am I being detained?
Obviously you have to comply with directions.
They like to shoot people and get away with that,
but you don't have to help them do their job.
 >:D

It should not be never answer any questions because refusing to answer certain basic questions could make the situation worse for you in some instances.

randay

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2023, 05:08:37 AM »
Its a free country.

ren

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2023, 07:13:23 AM »
It should not be never answer any questions because refusing to answer certain basic questions could make the situation worse for you in some instances.

stop derailing this thread. Id like to go to Perry next year and this is a vital part of my plan - to dryfire and practice.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2023, 07:51:29 AM »
Why do you need to do it in your yard?  Distance needed? 

I dry fire all indoors, lately with reduced scale/size targets.  Not Camp Perry style targets tho (USPSA). 

I used to shoot air guns in the back yard growing up.  Maybe only a couple neighbors uphill could see, but none complained.  Not sure about nowadays at my parents' house though.  My buddies' kids often shoot airsoft in their yards, no complaints.  Their neighbors are all super cool though, and in some cases are family. 

ren

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2023, 07:56:54 AM »
SCATT needs light and my scope can't focus on shorter distances
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2023, 08:37:51 AM »

How?  You failed to explain your conclusion with any laws, examples or facts.  You just made a general and vague comment that basically equates you your standard, "Not necessarily."

If you are not a suspect in a crime, then the interaction is considered voluntary.  Unless you are detained, you are always free to leave and answer no questions.

If you are being detained as part of an investigation, the only thing the law requires is that you identify yourself, which can be done nonverbally by showing ID.  While that can be called answering the question "What's your name," you are not making any statements that may be used against you.

if you are under arrest, then you are protected by the 5th amendment, and the "right to remain silent" spelled out in the Miranda warning means just that.  They can't get you in trouble for exercising your rights.

Cops try to get everyone to identify themselves "for their report," but it's also an attempt to do a search on your info to check for wants, warrants, etc.  If you have the right to not answer any questions, then even "basic" answers should be avoided.

Of course, if you are the victim, then talking to the police is a requirement.  Hard to make a complaint without giving details -- that is, if you are interested in getting their help.
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2023, 08:40:54 AM »

You are 100% correct. Some cops don't like it when you know your rights.  So they will puff their chest and then look for a reason to charge you with something, that may then end up being dropped by the prosecutors office.  The process is the punishment.

changemyoil66

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »
How?  You failed to explain your conclusion with any laws, examples or facts.  You just made a general and vague comment that basically equates you your standard, "Not necessarily."

If you are not a suspect in a crime, then the interaction is considered voluntary.  Unless you are detained, you are always free to leave and answer no questions.

If you are being detained as part of an investigation, the only thing the law requires is that you identify yourself, which can be done nonverbally by showing ID.  While that can be called answering the question "What's your name," you are not making any statements that may be used against you.

if you are under arrest, then you are protected by the 5th amendment, and the "right to remain silent" spelled out in the Miranda warning means just that.  They can't get you in trouble for exercising your rights.

Cops try to get everyone to identify themselves "for their report," but it's also an attempt to do a search on your info to check for wants, warrants, etc.  If you have the right to not answer any questions, then even "basic" answers should be avoided.

Of course, if you are the victim, then talking to the police is a requirement.  Hard to make a complaint without giving details -- that is, if you are interested in getting their help.

HI law states that during a traffic stop, one must ID, regardless if a crime or violation is suspected.  Not sure how it applies to one walking or not driving.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2023, 08:50:55 AM »
HI law states that during a traffic stop, one must ID, regardless if a crime or violation is suspected.  Not sure how it applies to one walking or not driving.

Traffic stops are different.  You are required to show a valid drivers license when asked, along with registration and proof of insurance.  Those are not "questions," but rather producing documentation that shows you are permitted to drive on public streets, that the car is properly tagged and registered, and that you have the required insurance coverage.  None of those items will get you thrown in jail unless you also happen to have a warrant on file.  Any infractions would be a ticket at worst.

Walking is 180 degrees from that situation.  When driving you have a duty to cooperate simply because you are operating a vehicle on public roads.  Unless the cops have probable cause to suspect you of a crime, you are under no obligation to ID yourself for just being on a sidewalk.

This is not the society which has officers going around saying, "Papers, please."  At least not yet.

Yeah, cops with inflated egos can be jerks.  They will lie, threaten, and intimidate you into giving up your rights when possible.  Those pesky civil rights always get in the way of them trying to find out what you've done wrong.
-- Melvin Udall

QUIETShooter

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2023, 08:53:20 AM »
You are 100% correct. Some cops don't like it when you know your rights.  So they will puff their chest and then look for a reason to charge you with something, that may then end up being dropped by the prosecutors office.  The process is the punishment.

Before time these kinds of potential applicants would be weeded out in the selection process.  But now there are more and more of these kinds of cops with power attitudes because frankly, that's all get left and the vacancies need to be filled.

Just my opinion.  More and more of the desirable candidates are not applying anymore.  They feel it just isn't worth it.

From Honolulu's Finest to Honolulu's Ahh....Good enough.....
Sometimes you gotta know when to save your bullets.

ren

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2023, 09:03:41 AM »
what the fuck do traffic stops have to do with my topic.
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2023, 09:05:51 AM »
what the fuck do traffic stops have to do with my topic. You guys are a bumch of arguing clowns trying to figure out how many io you can fit in a fucking Yaris.
No one is going to do a fucking traffic stop in my own fucking yard so shut the fuck up with these bullshit derails.

i own no Yaris-es...
-- Melvin Udall

ren

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2023, 09:07:36 AM »
i own no Yaris-es...
wjy not? you drive your Mad Max polluting 200tree Tacoma lifted and changing the climate everyday.
Greta Thunberg is going to curb stomp yo ass and piss all over Darmok at Tenegra
Deeds Not Words

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2023, 09:27:08 AM »
wjy not? you drive your Mad Max polluting 200tree Tacoma lifted and changing the climate everyday.
Greta Thunberg is going to curb stomp yo ass and piss all over Darmok at Tenegra

I'd have to let her, or find myself on YouTube beating up an autistic female.

When the walls fell...

p.s.  It's a 2014 Tacoma, and not lifted. #FakeNews
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 09:49:12 AM by Flapp_Jackson »
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »
what the fuck do traffic stops have to do with my topic.

If you're dryfiring and a cop walks by and ask for your ID, you do not have to show it until they have articulated you have broken the law, about to break the law, or am breaking the law.  Then the consequences of denying said cop your ID.  Or you can show them your ID.  You are supposed to have the right to choose to voluntarily provide ID if the cop walks by and ask you as you're dry firing.

ren

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
If you're dryfiring and a cop walks by and ask for your ID, you do not have to show it until they have articulated you have broken the law, about to break the law, or am breaking the law.  Then the consequences of denying said cop your ID.  Or you can show them your ID.  You are supposed to have the right to choose to voluntarily provide ID if the cop walks by and ask you as you're dry firing.

I live on a private road
Deeds Not Words

randay

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 12:20:07 PM »
Heres what you do, talk to your neighbors like human beings do. Let them know you are going to be doing dry fire practice in your yard.

changemyoil66

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »
I live on a private road

Private road as in, in the boonies or like a shared road , like the kind in Palolo.Cause if it's like boonie style, then no worry.