Gun lube and cleaner (Read 1448 times)

Oyabunsan

Gun lube and cleaner
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Not too long ago I tried many gun lube and grease, and clp products.  Most major brands performed well to my expectations, and some newer ones even smelled good. However, the ones that smelled good I won’t use again, ever, especially for long-term storage.  For some reason the “newer products” that I’ve tried end up leaving a film that accumulates “rust” (i.e. oxidation).  I had to use heat gun to warm up the metal parts to remove the oxidation, which eventually came off with some work. 

With my limited experience, I ended up with 2 products that I use exclusively for a long time now, and these are Ballistol and Castrol heavy duty grease.  My kids can smell the Ballistol from a mile away.

Now, I was surprised to see Amsoil having gun lube and cleaner product... or maybe I shouldn’t be.  I use Amsoil exclusively in my vehicles (engine, transmission, transfer case and differentials) based on good results of the oil analyses with Blackstone on every service interval.

Anyway, I am an Amsoil believer so I’ll probably try this one out just for the heck of it.  I’d be interested to hear if anyone here has tried this Amsoil gun lube/cleaner and your feedback.

:shaka: :shaka:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:51:39 PM by Oyabunsan »

hvybarrels

Re: Gun lube and cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:24:11 PM »
Someone told me once that I could basically replace all my fancy lube with Mobil 1 and just refill the bottles with the small applicator tips whenever they get empty. So far so good.

Also I had a trigger group that fell behind a bookshelf and rusted so I soaked in in lightly used ATF (saved from the second half of a flush) that I keep around for rusty tools. I gave the jar a shake now and then and most of the rust came right off with minimal damage to the little sensitive bits. Stinks though.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Oyabunsan

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 06:58:14 AM »
I forgot to mention that I did use leftover diesel engine oil in the past but I stopped because the Castrol grease just does it, after cleaning with Ballistol.  I bought a small syringe from Amazon and filled it with the Castrol grease and there are hardly any scratches on the gun rails, even the barrels and high contact/friction areas.  This grease doesn’t breakdown and even my brother didn’t believe it until 4000 rounds later in his 1911 and 5000 rounds in his AR15, and not a single new scratch.  I end up greasing every clean up but I bet the grease would last even over 5000 rounds in between.  It just doesn’t breakdown! It’s cheap and small amount goes a long way! 

Needless to say I am not compensated by Ballistol or Castrol.  These 2 products replaced many products I used and will never look back.  If any of you want a Castrol grease, bring your small syringe and I’ll fill it up for you to try.  No guarantees but it works for me and my bro!

omnigun

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:03:22 AM »
I forgot to mention that I did use leftover diesel engine oil in the past but I stopped because the Castrol grease just does it, after cleaning with Ballistol.  I bought a small syringe from Amazon and filled it with the Castrol grease and there are hardly any scratches on the gun rails, even the barrels and high contact/friction areas.  This grease doesn’t breakdown and even my brother didn’t believe it until 4000 rounds later in his 1911 and 5000 rounds in his AR15, and not a single new scratch.  I end up greasing every clean up but I bet the grease would last even over 5000 rounds in between.  It just doesn’t breakdown! It’s cheap and small amount goes a long way! 

Needless to say I am not compensated by Ballistol or Castrol.  These 2 products replaced many products I used and will never look back.  If any of you want a Castrol grease, bring your small syringe and I’ll fill it up for you to try.  No guarantees but it works for me and my bro!

What exact grease? Looked on Amazon and there was so many different ones. 

ren

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:13:38 AM »
^^^^argues about everything else non gun related but can't find lube on Amazon
OP-
try Ed'S Red. https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html
Like anything else, the lube is dependent on application. Some of these "exotic" gun lubes are repackaged lubricants from other industries i.e. automotive
SLightly off topic but related, I tried melted wax on my commuter bicycle chain. Cleaner than oils. Stripped off all the oils and dipped it in melted paraffin wax (candles). Very slippery and it doesn't attract grit from the road. Downside is that it probably will need more frequent applications
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:33:33 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 09:04:48 AM »
try Ed'S Red. https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html
Like anything else, the lube is dependent on application. Some of these "exotic" gun lubes are repackaged lubricants from other industries i.e. automotive
SLightly off topic but related, I tried melted wax on my commuter bicycle chain. Cleaner than oils. Stripped off all the oils and dipped it in melted paraffin wax (candles). Very slippery and it doesn't attract grit from the road. Downside is that it probably will need more frequent applications

T9 Boeshield leaves a film of parafin wax

stangzilla

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
i like to use:
ballistol
Hornady one shot
Tetra gun (similar to Hornady one shot)
Lucas gun oil (for a wet lube)

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Sometimes I use pork fat on my bullets....
Because you never know when you might bump into a jihadi.
What, Me Worry?

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 11:30:56 AM »
My cousin gave me some Amsoil to try (I think he is or was a dealer when he gave me the sample), but I haven't tried.  I have some much gun lube.  I still have the same bottle of handgun oil that I got when I bought my first pistol.  I'm not super particular.  I've been using Fireclean for a while though and have been happy.  A shooting buddy is a dealer, so he hooks me up.  I'd be fine with stuff I've used in the past, like Slip, Tetraoil/grease, etc. 

I know many who use regular motoroil for ARs with good results.  Similar to lithium grease from autoparts store.  Nothing really special needed. 

Cleaners, I have started using specialized cleaners for my bolt gun barrel.  But for ARs and handguns, whatever I have or people give me is good. 

groveler

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
Someone told me once that I could basically replace all my fancy lube with Mobil 1 and just refill the bottles with the small applicator tips whenever they get empty. So far so good.

Also I had a trigger group that fell behind a bookshelf and rusted so I soaked in in lightly used ATF (saved from the second half of a flush) that I keep around for rusty tools. I gave the jar a shake now and then and most of the rust came right off with minimal damage to the little sensitive bits. Stinks though.
I was always taught that ATF/Kerosene 50/50 mix was the best rust remover/buster and penetrating fluid you could get.
For lube, synthetic is always the best.  A more educated chemist here can correct me, but most synthetic
lubes are made from natural gas.  Carbon and Hydrogen.
Better living through Chemistry.

hvybarrels

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 11:50:07 PM »
I was always taught that ATF/Kerosene 50/50 mix was the best rust remover/buster and penetrating fluid you could get.
For lube, synthetic is always the best.  A more educated chemist here can correct me, but most synthetic
lubes are made from natural gas.  Carbon and Hydrogen.
Better living through Chemistry.

I use the kero in a spray bottle for cleaning grease but never mixed them. Will have to try that  :shaka:
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Oyabunsan

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2021, 12:28:02 AM »
Good to know about the kerosene and atf; will come in handy and especially for rusted tools. :shaka: :shaka: