2aHawaii Monthly Rimfire Match (Read 12132 times)

Heavies

2aHawaii Monthly Rimfire Match
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:45:15 AM »
Aloha all!

Some of the other forums I frequent put on monthly rimfire rifle matches. I propose we do the same here!
Many folks do not have the time or opportunity to go to the range for their monthly scheduled rimfire match. This match can be shot at any time you choose. You don't have to fire from only the standing position unsupported. And you can use your optic.

Here is the rules:
1. This match will be run on the honor system. You will be responsible to fire on your targets at the proper ranges and score your own targets honestly.
2. At the beginning of the month you will be able to download the targets from the match thread, and fire your targets at your leisure, as many attempts you want.
3. When you feel you have shot your best target, scan/photo, and score your target, and post it up in the match thread.
4. Heavies will tally entries at the end of the month and post that month's winners.
5. There will be no entry fees, use any type of rimfire rifle you wish, scoped, open irons, supported, in any firing position you choose.

Edit:
Sorry Guys,
I neglected to give the rules for scoring.
If your shot breaks any line on the score ring then the shot would count as the higher score.
I.E. if your shot lands on the ring that separates the 9 and 10 rings, even if the edge of the bullet breaks the line then that shot would be counted as a ten.

X's are counted as ten and are used for tie breaking.

"A shot hole, the leading
edge of which comes in contact with the outside of the “X” ring or other scoring rings of a target, is given the higher
value (including keyhole or tipped shots even though the hole is elongated to the bullet’s length rather than being a
circle of the bullet’s diameter)" from NRA high powered scoring rule book.
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nra-rule-books.asp

Use all safe firearm handling skills, 2aHawaii nor I can take any responsibility or liability for any injuries or deaths during the firing of this match. Or any other time for that matter. :)
Use common sense and shoot safe!

There will be no prizes, (sorry, there is no entry fee) but you will have the bragging rights for that month. ;)

This is just for fun, and this will be a good excuse to get out to the range and shoot with purpose. As well as good practice for any other type of shooting you may do. 
Just remember to HAVE FUN!

August Match...

50 Yards, Twenty shots, possible score of 200.  Shoot one shot at each target circle center hit is a 10, next ring is a 9, last ring an 8.  missing target circle is a no score for that shot.  Please limit yourself to 20 rounds on one target.

50yrd target can be downloaded here...

100 Yards, Ten shots, possible score of 100.  Shoot ten rounds at the target and score according to hits, X's count as 10's and will be used to break any ties.  Please limit yourself to 10 rounds on one  target.

100yrd target can be downloaded here...

If there are any other ideas for this, or any other, fun match please let me know.

Please submit your results by Tuesday, August 31, 2010.
Thanks, B  :shaka:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:56:37 PM by Heavies »

Tom_G

Re: 2aHawaii Monthly Rimfire Match
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Woohoo!  The guys on other forums refer to these as "postal matches."  I guess the concept is old enough that, at one time, you actually mailed targets in!  What perfect timing, I was wondering what to do at the range tomorrow!!

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Heavies

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:17:46 AM »
Hey Tom,
did you go out on Sunday to shoot? How'd you do?
I shot the 50 and did not do too great.  I dropped a whole bunch of shots from the wind and my poor shooting skills.   :P One gust blew me off the target completely. Haha.  I may have to try again if I get time. My 100 was darn good. I picked my shots and took my time to shoot through the wind.
 :shaka:

Tom_G

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:56 AM »
I took a friend, and two of her friends, out shooting for their first time as a birthday gift.  The experience lasted most of the day and left me waaaaaaay too tired to try anything precision. 

That 50 looks tough!  I'm not sure I can see well enough to shoot it without a scope, and my only scoped .22 is far from my most accurate rifle.  But these are the challenges, right?
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Heavies

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
Sorry about that Tom. I was looking through the "post your plinkers" thread and I assumed most here had scoped rifles. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed.  Very sorry.
How about the one hunded yard target for 50yrds with open sighted rifles, 10 shots or 20?
I wanted it to be challenging, not impossible.
I would like many to participate, If there are any other suggestion I am open.  :thumbsup:

Tom_G

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Nah, no worries!  The challenge is the challenge, and what we have is what we have.  Besides, I can see that 100 yard target, and I can print a pretty fair group using a globe sight at that distance! 

mishka

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
Cool!  I will try to make time this weekend after the pistol range. 

Heavies

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
Tom,
Good deal!  But, next time I'll make an open sights class. Or maybe not.  You'll probably out shoot us all!  I've seen what people can do with those open sights. :D
Mishka,
Great to see you comming out, and good shooting!

Heavies

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
Here is my entry for the 100yrd target. I shot it with my Savage MKII, Wolf MT, Meuller 8.5x20, off a bipod prone.

I'll call it a 97 one X. Gotta work on my wind reading skills.  :P

This is so cool it's like shooting 500yrds with a .30-06!  Very Fun! And good wind reading practice for   F-Class

tonsofguns

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »
This is the best thing yet for 2aHawaii !!!
When I get a day off I will definitely get on the range but for now I can only offer to help with prizes. I have a camel bak 3L hydration bladder in a woodland camo cover all brand new, never issued. So I guess if the winner can claim that and for the runners up I have two military issue flashlights with lenscovers, used, good condition. Let me know if this is cool cuz I have tons of gear in my store.

Jaydawg

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
 :worship:

Heavies

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »
Thanks tonsofguns for offering up the prizes!   :shaka:

I have PM'ed tons about the prizes, and  since I am running the match, to keep things fair, he will be verifing my target as a second party.
All others may self score your targets post them up and the winner will be announced COB 1 September, 2010.

2aHawaii

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sheepdog
  • Referrals: 17
    • View Profile
    • 2aHawaii
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »
Nice shooting. I'd agree with your scoring: 97-1x
I am not a lawyer.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." - United States Constitution Amendment 2 & Hawaii State Constitution Article 1 Section 17

Buying from Amazon? Click through here

tonsofguns

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »
Sorry I took forever to score heavies, I concur 97.

As for the prizes, I think I will have the winners pick them up at my store with the unclaimed prizes for the month getting rotated around for next month. Basically one of the three top places could have a grab bag of prizes. Of course this would be determined at random and dependent on winners not picking up their prizes before the 1st weekend of the new month.

Ok we'll see how this goes yea!!

Heavies

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:56:11 AM »
Great news tons! Can't thank you enough.
Any one get out this last weekend and shoot any? I didn't get to shoot .22 this weekend I hope I'll be able to go on Sunday, but because of work I may not. It's always a last minute thing for them, telling us if we gotta work the weekend.
I'd rather not, but at least it means more money for guns and ammo.  >:D

Tom_G

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:49 AM »
Fingers crossed that it comes together this weekend.  I think I'll shoot both events twice... once with my scoped Marlin, and once with my globe-sighted Mossberg.  When it comes to minute-of-steel-silhouette, I'm a terror with that Mossberg! 

Tom_G

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Finally made it out today!  Was not my best day ever, but fair-to-middlin'.  My best scores came from my scoped Marlin 60.  That wasn't a surprise for 50 yards since I had a helluva time trying to decide which dot I was aiming at without the scope, but I fully expected my best target at 100 yards to come from the Mossberg.  Probably my own fault, I swapped out the front globe insert to the "super tiny precision aperture" then couldn't see a damned thing through it!  Decided to swap back to my usual insert, and managed to cross-thread the holder.   >:(   Anyway, here they are.

50 yards, score 148

postal 08-2010 50 yds by HawaiianHippie, on Flickr

100 yards, score 162  82, no X's.  The scanner mushed the hole closed some, but the 3 o'clock hole in the 9-ring is actually 2 overlapping holes.  I bet you can guess which way the wind was gusting!

postal 08-2010 100 yds by HawaiianHippie, on Flickr

It was a fun day!

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:40:16 PM by Tom_G »

Heavies

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
Tom_g,
That is some mighty fine shooting, especially on a windy day like today!  :shaka: I was there early in the morning till about 11:00, I was struggling with the gusts!
Plus my Savage was having fits with Wolf MT ammo. It kept having intermittent failure to extract. It was p***ing me off something royal. I tried other brands of ammo and to problems whatsoever, except for the fact the other ammo shoots nowhere as tight as Wolf. I when to WGS afterward and picked up some Aguila standard velocity and give those a try next time. What ammo do you use?

Anyone else get a chance to shoot? If you folks can't make it out maybe next months match we'll run it for a two month stretch give every one a chance to shoot?  What do you all think?

Tom_G

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the compliment!  Yeah, the gusts were a b***h!!  But that's Kokohead for ya.  Can't remember a day I've been there that the air was still.

All my .22's are sighted for CCI Standard Velocity.  It functions in all my semi-autos, was readily available before Obama, and isn't so pricey I mind wasting it.  It's all I buy now.

We must have been there at the same time.  I got to the range about 10:30 then had to wait a bit for my bench.  Who knows, the bench I used may even have been the one you left!

What was funny, at least to me, was that I started out the day by sighting in my Marlin.  I had done this just a few weeks ago before taking out some new shooters.  It was printing about an inch to the right, so I centered it up, then realized that it was hitting the target ABOVE the one I was aiming at!  Frigging thing was printing 4" high!  I dunno... maybe I tightened the action into the stock more aggressively this time.  Whatever I did, though, I got my best groups ever out of that gun today.  4 out of 5 in a square inch at 50 yards, consistently with 1 flyer.  (I'll take credit for the flyer!) 

As far as extending the contest, I'll vote "no" for purely selfish reasons.  I'm looking forward to the next challenge!!!!

tonsofguns

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
How did you score a 162 on the 100 yrd test? I thought the 100 had a highest of 100.