Ghost gun bill passes (Read 14233 times)

Flapp_Jackson

Re: Ghost gun bill passes
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
Riddle me this.  How are you supposed to engrave the registration number when you can't register the non gun with no engraved number?

You can register a non-gun 80% blank.  In fact, you MUST register it prior to starting any milling.  If you show up to register the fully milled receiver without a serial number, it's a ghost gun by definition.  Ghost guns are banned.

I wonder if one could show up with 0% receiver (a solid block of solid aluminum or plastic) and register it?  Now you have a registered serial number that can be engraved on any unserialized blank. 

"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

dogman

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »
Three weeks ago I registered a Polymer 80 with the holes drilled (after being asked by three different persons if I drilled the holes myself). I asked the officers if I can register the Poly 80 with no work done and they said no, it's not considered a firearm and you can't register a non firearm. 

robtmc

« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »
Collecting paperweights should be a new hobby.   Just to confuse the watchers.

changemyoil66

« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2020, 10:41:10 PM »
You can register a non-gun 80% blank.  In fact, you MUST register it prior to starting any milling.  If you show up to register the fully milled receiver without a serial number, it's a ghost gun by definition.  Ghost guns are banned.

I wonder if one could show up with 0% receiver (a solid block of solid aluminum or plastic) and register it?  Now you have a registered serial number that can be engraved on any unserialized blank.
Troll idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2020, 10:52:06 PM »
Three weeks ago I registered a Polymer 80 with the holes drilled (after being asked by three different persons if I drilled the holes myself). I asked the officers if I can register the Poly 80 with no work done and they said no, it's not considered a firearm and you can't register a non firearm.

That's according to the old way.  The new way says:

"Firearm receiver" includes any object or part that is not a firearm frame or receiver in finished form
but that is designed or intended to be used for that purpose and may readily be made into a firearm
frame or receiver through milling or other means."

No matter what the ATF says, or what the law used to say about receivers, the new law says an 80% receiver/frame that is designed OR intended to be used for that purpose is included in the definition for "Firearm Receiver".

-- Melvin Udall

aieahound

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2020, 11:02:43 PM »
Firearm receiver also includes all uppers.

Unless I read it wrong.
No one is really commenting on that.
What’s the status of uppers?

Riddle me this.  How are you supposed to engrave the registration number when you can't register the non gun with no engraved number? 

That’s what I’ve been repeatedly saying.
And how I engrave my registration number on it before I register it ?

Still doesn’t clarify possessing. Only obtaining, purchasing or manufacturing/printing after date of law.

There’s 3 different conversations.  :wacko:

6716J

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
And nowhere does it say anything about permits to acquire an 80%
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

aaronc5362

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Firearm receiver also includes all uppers.

Unless I read it wrong.
No one is really commenting on that.
What’s the status of uppers?

That’s what I’ve been repeatedly saying.
And how I engrave my registration number on it before I register it ?

Still doesn’t clarify possessing. Only obtaining, purchasing or manufacturing/printing after date of law.

There’s 3 different conversations.  :wacko:

Idk if this will help. I applied for my long gun last week. Its been 3 or 4 years since ive done this.

Anyways, after i filled out the white paper with carbon copy (or what use to be carbon copy many many years ago.) He did write a bunch of numbers on the top. Im gonna assume its my permit applicant number.

So if i am to guess, there is a possibility you will need to own a long gun permit first. Then when you go down to apply they will give you a specific number that you will need to engrave. Probably 2 weeks to engrave it?? Then the finale... register it.

Now dont flame me, im just predicting a POSSIBLE scenario/ process.

However i did ask them about this bill everyone is worked up on. They dont have the slightest clue, it was 2 days after this thread was started.  Tbh they were exceptionally cool people. In fact they are apart of 2a. I never asked what their screen names were cause thats not my business. I know a handful of other cops on here cause i sold them different things. The firearms division fellas told me to continue building uppers cause there is no law yet. EVEN AFTER THIS THREAD WAS STARTED. Or they just never got the memo even though they looked up their HRS codes and/ work emails to see if any new laws were created. We all talked bout 10-15 minutes after i finished my photo and paperwork. It was dead slow. Maybe the guy after my appointment decided not to apply lol. A space wasted.

Legislature makes the law.
LEO's enforce it.
Judicial interprets it, in court.

Thats what i learned in college. Also many many years ago.

On a side note, i screen shot this and sent to some of my cop friends. They are not happy either if they have to engrave all of their home built uppers as well. After all i helped make bout 6 or 7 of them for different people.🤣

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2020, 09:41:48 AM »

Unless I missed something, the number engraved on the firearm doesn't have to be the gun registration form number. So if you are making these things you can engrave a serial number you make up. First gun you make could be 001, next one 002, etc.

zippz

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
Unless I missed something, the number engraved on the firearm doesn't have to be the gun registration form number. So if you are making these things you can engrave a serial number you make up. First gun you make could be 001, next one 002, etc.

Use uncommon ascii characters that the HPD officers can't figure out how to type on the registration form.

Üöﺡﺡﮒ꙰ꙬᾯÏ
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

dogman

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
I registered a couple of Poly 80 handgun frames earlier this week with my rifle permit. My made up serial numbers used four letters with my initials and three numbers. I try to make it easy for HPD. They treat me well.

Shooooots

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
You engraved it yourself?

Shooooots

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:32 PM »
I registered a couple of Poly 80 handgun frames earlier this week with my rifle permit. My made up serial numbers used four letters with my initials and three numbers. I try to make it easy for HPD. They treat me well.

macsak

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »

dogman has "more amps"...

dogman

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:20 PM »
. . .

dogman has "more amps"...
That's all you need.

aieahound

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2020, 05:03:59 PM »
“ When that one says ten volts, there's really ten whole honest-to-gawd manly hairy-assed volts present. :D

Terry, 230RN”

God Bless terry 230RN and dogman!
Dogman is a funny bastahd but you gotta listen to him.  :shaka:

Heavies

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »

The new law reads,  "If the firearm has no serial number, the [permit] registration number shall be entered in the space provided for the serial number, and the [permit] registration number shall be engraved upon the receiver portion of the firearm before registration."

Why they deleted permit number and put registration number? This now makes it impossible to ever construct a 0 - 80% in a handgun form. 

You cannot get a handgun permit without a serial number, nor can you register a handgun without a serial number. You CANNOT get a registration number, therefore, you cannot get a serial number to engrave.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:11:23 PM by Heavies »

Neesh

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
Was yours completed or still in a 80% form?

aaronc5362

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Use uncommon ascii characters that the HPD officers can't figure out how to type on the registration form.

Üöﺡﺡﮒ꙰ꙬᾯÏ

I see 2 pairs of boobs. Lol

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2020, 06:01:42 PM »
There's no stipulation that the number has to be the registration number except for those blanks/receivers that are registered without a number.  HPD will engrave it for you.  You can actually order the blanks with serial numbers professionally applied to the blanks to make it easier.

I guess if you have more than one blank to register, they may have to fill out multiple registrations?  Either that, or append something to the registration number for each item to make them unique?

But, if you really want "enjoy" the process a little, give every blank you register the SAME serial number as EVERYBODY ELSE on here.     :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If 20 people have 2 blanks each, that's 40 future receivers that will have the same number.

Something like "2A-HI-2020" comes to mind.
-- Melvin Udall