Hanabusa trying to turn "Good Aftternoon" into the Japanese N word (Read 7719 times)

ren

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37736700/hanabusa-schools-interior-secretary-on-japanese-greetings

She was triggered.
And she tries to pull in the 100-442 into her little rant. A person who never took the time to come out for vets - only when it is a photo-op for political reasons
Deeds Not Words

zippz

Re: Hanabusa trying to turn "Good Aftternoon" into the Japanese N word
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:45 AM »
Yea, making up problems out of nothing. 
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
any publicity is good publicity, but....

In this case I have to side with Hanabusa about funding the historic preservation sites.
Zinke was an idiot that put his foot in his mouth.
===========
But then Hanabusa said. "It is essential that we as a nation recognize our darkest moments so that we don't have them repeat again."

Like the pre-holocaust gun and weapons ban for Jews, right Colleen?

What, Me Worry?

Bota-CS1

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:57:09 AM »
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37736700/hanabusa-schools-interior-secretary-on-japanese-greetings

She was triggered.
And she tries to pull in the 100-442 into her little rant. A person who never took the time to come out for vets - only when it is a photo-op for political reasons

How can you not talk about the Japanese internment without talking about the 100th and 442nd?  I agree with OldFart - Zienke got caught being sarcastic/smart. That $2 million goes to preserving tha legacy of those that have come before us,wspcially those that no longer have a voice.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

punaperson

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
1. I wonder if Hanabusa is as adamant about preserving ALL civil war sites and monuments? "It is essential that we as a nation recognize our darkest moments so that we don't have them repeat again."

2. "I sit before you the granddaughter of two internees, both of my grandfathers were interned during World War II," Hanabusa said.

Anyone know any of the details about this, especially why both her grandmothers apparently weren't interned?

ren

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
How can you not talk about the Japanese internment without talking about the 100th and 442nd?  I agree with OldFart - Zienke got caught being sarcastic/smart. That $2 million goes to preserving tha legacy of those that have come before us,wspcially those that no longer have a voice.

She only brings up these vets because of her "Japanese ancestry" other than that she gives no cares to vets - only if she is on some type okf platform.
I think that it was an effort to reach out to her "Japanese ancestry". I'm flattered when people try to talk to me in Cantonese, although it is not the most pleasant thing to hear at family gatherings when people are yelling at you.
Deeds Not Words

Bota-CS1

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 01:38:06 PM »
She only brings up these vets because of her "Japanese ancestry" other than that she gives no cares to vets - only if she is on some type okf platform.
I think that it was an effort to reach out to her "Japanese ancestry". I'm flattered when people try to talk to me in Cantonese, although it is not the most pleasant thing to hear at family gatherings when people are yelling at you.

“Japanese ancestry”?  I know you’re not saying she isn’t Japanese - but maybe you are? The point was not about vets etc it was about his snarky greeting to her.  At the very least it was tone deaf at worst rascist since she asked him the question in English.
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

ren

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »
I meant it as a race card.
I can go as far as what the Japanese military did to my grandparents in China if we want to play the race and victim card.
History shows that all humans commit atrocities against each other. No one race is innocent.
Deeds Not Words

mrgaf

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
I can go as far as what the Japanese military did to my grandparents in China if we want to play the race and victim card.
History shows that all humans commit atrocities against each other. No one race is innocent.
I’m 25% Mohawk. You’re correct about atrocities. Look what was done to Native Americans and it continues today.....
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

Only good liberal is one taking a dirt nap.

punaperson

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 05:20:24 AM »
I’m 25% Mohawk. You’re correct about atrocities. Look what was done to Native Americans and it continues today.....
Did you mean by other "Native Americans" or non-"Native Americans" or both?

It goes well beyond race. Maybe to "tribes" or "subgroups" (aka "gangs") or even "neighborhoods". I suppose it's a matter of "scale".

Heavies

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:29 AM »
I watched the video.  Doesn't seem derogatory to me.  Except for Hanabusa's obvious disdainful tone toward her counterparts.  Perhaps she is offended by the improper greeting because it was still morning? 

Give me a break!

punaperson

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:37 AM »
I watched the video.  Doesn't seem derogatory to me.  Except for Hanabusa's obvious disdainful tone toward her counterparts.  Perhaps she is offended by the improper greeting because it was still morning? 

Give me a break!
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

If you make any reference, even in a possibly misguided attempt at "politeness" or "courtesy", to any "identity politics" frame of reference you are a racist, homophobe, etc.

If you do not recognize the specialness of and indebtedness to the "identity politics" group, you are a racist, homophobe, etc.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
Seeing as the questions from Hanabusa were about "the Hawaii Congresswoman asked Zinke about a plan to zero out a $2 million in grants to institutions that help preserve Japanese-American internment camps in Hawaii and on the mainland", now I get the discussion about internment camps.  However, people need to lighten up and stop looking for slights.  Be above all that and stop acting petty. 

And FWIW, it was my understanding that konnichiwa is used all times of day.  At least something that I noticed.  Should Zinke have said it?  Whatevers.  It's not like he referred to Hanabusa in a really derogatory manner.  Could Zinke have had bigoted or racist intent?  Maybe, but can't say for sure either way. 

Anyways, if they could focus on solving the real issues as opposed to constantly making a side show out of everything, not that is what would benefit the people. 

oldfart

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »
I took Japanese in HS
One of the VERY FEW things I remember was konichiwa is the afternoon greeting.
What, Me Worry?

changemyoil66

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »

I dated a flip chick and when she introduced me to her grandma, she hated me (I'm jap).

Hanabusa is right that we should preserve what was learned.  Never in history has US citizens been forced into camps.  But she is a hypocrite, take away guns, and the government can do what they want without worry of resisting.  I just wish Zinke brought up the 2nd amendment also during the hearing to see what she would say.

Heavies

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »
I dated a flip chick and when she introduced me to her grandma, she hated me (I'm jap).

Hanabusa is right that we should preserve what was learned.  Never in history has US citizens been forced into camps.  But she is a hypocrite, take away guns, and the government can do what they want without worry of resisting.  I just wish Zinke brought up the 2nd amendment also during the hearing to see what she would say.

Don't forget about native Americans forced onto reservations.

mrgaf

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
I took Japanese in HS
One of the VERY FEW things I remember was konichiwa is the afternoon greeting.

You’re absolutely correct, however, nothing wrong with him saying what he did. Many gaijin use the wrong word for a given time, place etc., that’s part of learning the language. Hana-busu is just a pig who will make mountains out of molehills. She thinks she’s smarter and better than everyone else but is no more than a rectum as far as I’m concerned. If it were me I would have greeted her with ohayo ah-ho........
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:04:35 PM by mrgaf »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.  Thomas Paine.

No man can get rich in politics unless he is a crook.  It cannot be done. Harry Truman

mrgaf

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
Don't forget about native Americans forced onto reservations.
thank you. They were, for all intents and purposes “death marched” (sound familiar? Imperial Japanese Army with POW’s in the P.I. as well as many other places). The Trail of Tears comes to mind. During the course of human history, events such as these happened. I understand that the AJA’s were citizens and what was done was horrible. They asked for and were compensated for what was done and their losses, rightfully so. Native Americans were never compensated, never apologized to, never treated as equals in their own lands!. Some may argue that the Japanese that were interred were Americans and that Native Americans were not. If anything they were and are more American than any of us in the U.S. (I defer to my 75% European ancestry). Same goes for the Native Hawaiians. Their land was stolen as well. See the pattern? Point is we have to move on, learn from the mistakes, learn from the past but don’t dwell in it and teach our children well. We are far to sensitive.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:14:16 AM by mrgaf »

mrgaf

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 11:16:49 AM »

Native Americans are more American most Americans. Manifest destiny was nothing more than a fancy word for “we want it, we’ll take it and do it by whatever means necessary, including MURDER AND GENOCIDE”

mrgaf

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

She was triggered.

Found a file photo of hanabugger..... KONICHI-WA bitch......