5.56 is a antipersonnel round (Read 3265 times)

suka

5.56 is a antipersonnel round
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
 ???

I am clueless as to why the movies portray the M4 in fighting Mechanical Robots and Godzilla ? Never did bother finish watching these movies and just changed the channel.

230RN

Re: 5.56 is a antipersonnel round
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 05:02:57 AM »
"5.56 is a antipersonnel round"

And barely that.  More like an anti100lbvarmint round, max.  And barely that, too.
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

Tom_G

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
If 5.56 is what you've got, 5.56 is what you shoot.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

ren

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
How often does the USA go to war with prehistoric animals, GoBots, Transformers and the like?
And imagine carrying an AT4 or larger weapon while running from these creatures, gets pretty tiring and old quick!
Deeds Not Words

suka

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »
How often does the USA go to war with prehistoric animals, GoBots, Transformers and the like?
And imagine carrying an AT4 or larger weapon while running from these creatures, gets pretty tiring and old quick!
every movie

Q

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:32:39 PM »

I loved carrying the AT4 since we can't legally carry RPGs that the Afghan Police said we could borrow.

And AT4 sure beats the 240B

230RN

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:33:12 AM »
So how come the military had to go from 55gr at standard .223 Remington SAAMI pressures to (as much as ) a 90gr bullet at redefined pressures of (let's call it) 62,000 "PSI" and increase the web thickness of the brass  and lengthen the leade of the chamber to reduce bolt thrust to "safe" levels?

And, I am told, had to reduce the "requirements" for military cartridges during testing from penetrating both sides of a GI helmet to only one side at what... 600 yards?

And didja ever notice how many near-wildcat cartridges have been developed commercially to enhance the performance of the AR platform.... constrained, as it is, to .223 cartridge lengths?

Even the Brits were working on a .280 caliber as an intermediate cartridge.  I understand Colt spent millions to con the high-up  military suckers into their AR concept.

That's one of my long-standing bitches.  Years ago I bought a very accurate varmint rifle in .223 Rem on the theory that I would always have military loads and brass.  Yay!  Smart me, huh? I chose this caliber over .22-250 for that reason.  Now I can't use military ammo or brass in my varmint rifle, even though it chambers and (would) fire in it.

Shoulda bought the .22-250.  Or even a triple deuce I drooled over until the gun shop owner told me to stop getting the gun all wet.

So I never miss a chance to zing the military for choosing that barely-100lbvarmint cartridge in the first place... and then having to soup it up and fiddle with cannelures and rifling and chamber pressures and bullet weights  to meet the necessities of reality.

Nyah!   >:D

Terry
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:51:18 AM by 230RN »
I do believe that the radical and crazy notion that the Founders meant what they said, is gradually soaking through the judicial system.

Inspector

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:54:27 AM »
...Or even a triple deuce I drooled over until the gun shop owner told me to stop getting the gun all wet....
My FAVORITE rifle cartridge of all time!!!
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Jdelacruz

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:29:09 AM »
I've learned a long time ago, tv/movies are far from reality when it comes to guns. I watch them to escape reality.

stangzilla

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 07:56:27 AM »
for defense against transformers, I'll use a deceptacon, of course the most lethal one is the Mustang "Barricade"!!!

and that overgrown lizard is no match for Stangzilla!!!  ;)

or just get legislation that bans transformers and overgrown reptiles from entering the US, and we're safe.