Getting Out of Dodge (Read 8721 times)

changemyoil66

Getting Out of Dodge
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
I don't plan on leaving my home due to having supplies inside in the event of a natural disaster and because I'm elevated.

But if I had to get out and go somewhere else, I would probably have to make space in my BOB for my pistol and some ammo as I relocate to my new place of "sojourn".  I currently only have hard cases witch are to big to put inside a backpack (the case the handgun comes with).  So I'll pick up one of those zipper soft sided cases.

Obviously I won't take any rifles or shotguns due to it being very bulky to carry in possible waist deep water and painting a target on my back.

Any other ways you guys would transport any firearms (what type) to your new location?  An AR pistol would be perfect, but it's too much trouble for me to get one to keep it legal.

macsak

Re: Getting Out of Dodge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »
I don't plan on leaving my home due to having supplies inside in the event of a natural disaster and because I'm elevated.

But if I had to get out and go somewhere else, I would probably have to make space in my BOB for my pistol and some ammo as I relocate to my new place of "sojourn".  I currently only have hard cases witch are to big to put inside a backpack (the case the handgun comes with).  So I'll pick up one of those zipper soft sided cases.

Obviously I won't take any rifles or shotguns due to it being very bulky to carry in possible waist deep water and painting a target on my back.

Any other ways you guys would transport any firearms (what type) to your new location?  An AR pistol would be perfect, but it's too much trouble for me to get one to keep it legal.

i do not  own any firearms,ammo, nor any reloading components...

Heavies

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
I built an AR that folds enough to be compact and discrete (it's of Hawaii's legal definition), with an equally discrete carrying case, just for such occasions.   A rifle is exponentially better than a pistol in times of trouble.  I will be bringing a pistol as well, but if only one had to go, it would be the rifle. 

Of course because of that terrible boating accident, all my stuffs were lost, so this would be just a rhetorical discussion...  oh well.

zippz

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:04:37 PM »
If it's a severe disaster, then you'll be on foot walking.  Firearms are pretty low on the priority list after shelter, food, water, flashlights, radios, clothing, etc.  Seeing as you'll have to be walking with this stuff and keeping it with you to prevent it from being stolen, you'll want a light firearm with a couple mags.  Emergency shelters don't allow firearms.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

London808

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:41:39 PM »
If it's a severe disaster, then you'll be on foot walking.  Firearms are pretty low on the priority list after shelter, food, water, flashlights, radios, clothing, etc.  Seeing as you'll have to be walking with this stuff and keeping it with you to prevent it from being stolen, you'll want a light firearm with a couple mags.  Emergency shelters don't allow firearms.

No one on this forum should ever end up at a shelter.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

drck1000

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:34:22 AM »
Natural disaster here?  Assuming something like a massive hurricane or sustained power outage, I'd be ok sheltering in place.  Even with flooding, I'd be good for a while.  Though my current situation is that I would be making my way to help out a family member.  As long as I can get there, I'd be fine sheltering in place there as well, including having implements for self/home defense.  Maybe even more so there than at my place.  So I would just need a smaller pack just to get me there.  I could walk there.  It would take me a while (haha), but I could walk there.  If that were the case, lightweight would be key consideration. 

I have one of those discrete backpacks that are meant for carrying an AR.  You just need to break down upper from the lower and it fits pretty easy. 

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
1) I built an AR that folds enough to be compact and discrete (it's of Hawaii's legal definition), with an equally discrete carrying case, just for such occasions.   A rifle is exponentially better than a pistol in times of trouble.  I will be bringing a pistol as well, but if only one had to go, it would be the rifle. 

2) Of course because of that terrible boating accident, all my stuffs were lost, so this would be just a rhetorical discussion...  oh well.
1) Is your setup (that is resting at the bottom of the Pacific) such that you don't have to separate the upper and lower?

2) Dammit.  Hate when that happens.  I seem to have a lot of friends that lost a bunch of stuff in boating accidents as well.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »

That's what IWB is for.  They may not allow, but not illegal. 

The only reason why I would have to evac is if the building fell.  But she was built in the 70's where contractors weren't trying to go as cheap as possible like they do today.

RSN172

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
I would never go to a shelter.  I have enough stuff here that I could quickly build a temporary shelter if my house got blown down.  The only natural disaster that would make me move is a lava flow.  I would not take a rifle or shotgun (not that I even own one) but if I had one, I would take a 9mm and a 22 pistol due to the compactness and lightness of the ammo, but a thousand rounds of anything get heavy if you have to carry it.

RSN172

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
Amazing how many of us on a firearm site don't own or have any guns any more.  I guess rapback is effective in curbing the amount of firearm sales, as I see many who tragically lost their firearms have decided not to replace them.

changemyoil66

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
I would never go to a shelter.  I have enough stuff here that I could quickly build a temporary shelter if my house got blown down.  The only natural disaster that would make me move is a lava flow.  I would not take a rifle or shotgun (not that I even own one) but if I had one, I would take a 9mm and a 22 pistol due to the compactness and lightness of the ammo, but a thousand rounds of anything get heavy if you have to carry it.

I could buy the water barrier to protect my home from a flood, put a tarp up as a roof, but nothing to protect against lava, short of concrete dividers.

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 09:00:16 AM »
Amazing how many of us on a firearm site don't own or have any guns any more.  I guess rapback is effective in curbing the amount of firearm sales, as I see many who tragically lost their firearms have decided not to replace them.

They should make boats more sturdy, seems like we all lose them to in boating mishaps.

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
=============
Several of my relatives live in coastline communities. When the tsunami warnings trigger they have to load up the car and evacuate.
Occasionally they end up at my house.
Fortunately there have not been any tsunamis generated nearby. If there were, it could strike within minutes.
Big Island coastal communities are risky. Some earthquakes occur right off shore.
What, Me Worry?

RSN172

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
My house is at 2500 ft elevation so storm surges and tsunamis don't concern me, other than wiping out power, especially to my TV broadcasting company now that football season is starting up.

London808

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »
My house is at 2500 ft elevation so storm surges and tsunamis don't concern me, other than wiping out power, especially to my TV broadcasting company now that football season is starting up.

Its all the people that live below you that you need to worry about.
"Mr. Roberts is a bit of a fanatic, he has previously sued HPD about gun registration issues." : Major Richard Robinson 2016

ren

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
i do not  own any firearms,ammo, nor any reloading components...

who needs guns brah, this Hawaii we go up & up lidat....
Deeds Not Words

Heavies

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
1) Is your setup (that is resting at the bottom of the Pacific) such that you don't have to separate the upper and lower?

2) Dammit.  Hate when that happens.  I seem to have a lot of friends that lost a bunch of stuff in boating accidents as well.   ;D

1. It does..  ahem did not have to separate the upper from the lower.  It has a Maxim PDW stock on it, 14.5" pinned and welded, all lightweight components.  Fits inside a fishing pole carry bag.

Incognito... 

2. Yep, boats are money pits for sure.

RSN172

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
Its all the people that live below you that you need to worry about.

Nah, I no need worry.  I get four big dogs.  Major Robinson said a big dog is better than a gun and he is a policeman so it must be true.  ::)

stangzilla

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
if I have to bug out for a day or 2, I already have in my BOB a couple speed loaders and a couple boxes of ammo for my LCR .38sp and Security Six .357mag
my holster for the Security Six and pocket holster for the LCR are easily accessed too.  and those revolvers are my primary HD guns so they are always ready to go.
if I'm just going to be out a day or 2, those firearms should be sufficient until I get back home.

hvybarrels

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
One issue that just got brought to light in Houston is the chemical plant that's about to explode. If some industrial/radiological somethingorother in Mapunapuna or Pearl Harbor decided to blow and everyone downwind had to evacuate a lot will depend on which way the wind is blowing. If you are working east of town and your BOL is on the west side then you might end up having to take the really long way around.

Another issue is our low lying coastal roads on the East, West, and North. A significant Tsunami could completely isolate Hawaii Kai, all the Koolau communities, Kahuku, and everything from Nanakuli northward. A large enough earthquake that damaged the tunnels could also cut off Kaneohe. Depending on who your neighbors are you might be surrounded by toxic soup of sewage and chemicals, and the shelter-in-place just won't work.

AT that point it would be good to be self contained with a pack light enough to make it over a mountain, know where the trails are, and have a couple options on where to go.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”