Trump (Read 379542 times)

eyeeatingfish

Re: Trump
« Reply #480 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »
I’m no big Trump fan. That said, how about you give things a chance instead of going off what CNN, MSNBC and the like are saying?

So the last trade war (as documented in the above sites) didn’t work out well. The world had changed since the 1930s. I am no economic expert, far from it. But the way I understand it, America takes it in the nose in many trade deals. So what are we supposed to do, keep taking it the nose and not try to change the tide?

And look up Buy America act. Like many things, it sounds good to the public, but in practice it doesn’t quite have the teeth many think it does.

A chance? He is going to do it regardless of whatever I say so he is going to take his chances so I am just along for the ride. Has something about economics really changed, will a trade war suddenly work for us where it didn't in the past?

By the way, I rarely watch CNN or MSNBC. I get news from a variety of sources that lean different ways. Trade wars aren't good historically speaking, that's why I oppose this. Furthermore Trump isn't just limiting this to our opponent China, he is pissing off our friends too. If it we're just China I wouldn't have as much a problem as he originally said but then he changes his position and does it to our allies.

Trump complains about trade deficits but we are the biggest economy in the world, that is always going to leave a deficit. I agree that some deals are not good for us but I don't think a worldwide trade war is in our interest.

I don't know about the buy America act so I don't know what worked and what didn't. I will go read about it. I am more familiar with the Berry amendment which had to do with defense department spending. Making the government buy local ends up costing more so the taxes may go up but more money stays in the country as well. I am not an economist eithe so my suggestion should be considered an idea only.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #481 on: July 12, 2018, 10:22:37 PM »
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

changemyoil66

« Reply #482 on: July 13, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
I had to google what PEBKAC meant.  Reminds me of the Error 37 for Diablo III

"What are the other 36 errors?"

6716J

« Reply #483 on: July 13, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »
You know how I feel about inferior work. It sickens me. I was yelling at some people just yesterday over a small transformer pad footing. I can’t believe how inadequate some workers are these days. BTW I yelled because I asked 3 times nicely to do it correctly and they wouldn’t do it. So I stopped the concrete pour and threatened to write up a non conformance. Ridiculous that I had to go thru such actions over such a minor structure.

I don’t doubt any of the stories you have read. There are certain countries such as China and Mexico that pretend that inspections were performed when the inspectors are on the payroll of the contractor or corrupt government agency. Happens a lot in NYC BTW.

I loved quite a few of the projects I was on, but I don't miss being a Special Inspector. It's just about one of the worst positions you can be in. Everybody hates you. Owners hate to pay you because you're just an expense the government told them they had to have. Contractors hate you because they just want to do the work as quickly and cheaply as they can with no oversight. Any delay costs both sides money... Concrete didn't make strength...inspectors fault (just don't talk about the extra 50 gallons of water they added). Welds bad...blame the inspector because the welder used the rod that had been sitting in the rain for a week. Luckily, the contractor can word the RFI well enough and have their own engineer say it's fine before it goes to the EOR. So in the end it's always good.

When I worked private, the inspector was hired by the owner (or owner's rep).  I was often on that side.  Now, we have to deal with contractor quality control, which is usually a contractor company employee.  Even if the specs call for the contractor to hire a third party inspector/engineer, they are often threatened with a "remember who pays the bill".  Even when I was the engineer working for the contractor on design-build projects, we got some static for not being team players, but never been threatened.  I'm working on a project where one of the JV partners of the prime contractor is a Korean company.  They flat out threaten the special inspectors.  Even asking them to edit their reports so as to not document non-conforming work.  So damn shady.  They are bad too in that they'll be all nice to your face when you are on site in person, saying work will be performed properly.  Then they go and do opposite.  This project is do dysfunctional, we have members of the JV partners essentially tattling on the other.  It's a damn mess.

Now I get to be the contractors QC. But after almost 30 years on the QA side, I never take it out on the SI guys. But I have seen it happen from other contractors. There's one whose office is over by OCCC that I've heard threaten the SI guys. I've made contractors fix things before too. The worst is I've actually made the fix myself knowing they won't and I couldn't live with that.

I've told every technician and Special Inspector that's ever worked with or for me, the only you thing you have is your reputation. All we produce is a piece of paper. Lie one time or look the other way one time, it will haunt you forever.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

drck1000

« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
I loved quite a few of the projects I was on, but I don't miss being a Special Inspector. It's just about one of the worst positions you can be in. Everybody hates you. Owners hate to pay you because you're just an expense the government told them they had to have. Contractors hate you because they just want to do the work as quickly and cheaply as they can with no oversight. Any delay costs both sides money... Concrete didn't make strength...inspectors fault (just don't talk about the extra 50 gallons of water they added). Welds bad...blame the inspector because the welder used the rod that had been sitting in the rain for a week. Luckily, the contractor can word the RFI well enough and have their own engineer say it's fine before it goes to the EOR. So in the end it's always good.

Now I get to be the contractors QC. But after almost 30 years on the QA side, I never take it out on the SI guys. But I have seen it happen from other contractors. There's one whose office is over by OCCC that I've heard threaten the SI guys. I've made contractors fix things before too. The worst is I've actually made the fix myself knowing they won't and I couldn't live with that.

I've told every technician and Special Inspector that's ever worked with or for me, the only you thing you have is your reputation. All we produce is a piece of paper. Lie one time or look the other way one time, it will haunt you forever.
Does the name of that company start with an “N”?

Being a licensed engineer, I can’t turn a blind eye to things I see. My project or otherwise. I mean I’ve helped the contractor get to a “good enough” point. But I’ve had some flat out ask me to let non-conforming things slide.

Most special inspectors won’t let the big things slide either. Like you said, they would have to live with themselves if someone got hurt. Thankfully, in the project I’m referring to above, the SI resigned and let us know what was going on. 

drck1000

« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
A chance? He is going to do it regardless of whatever I say so he is going to take his chances so I am just along for the ride. Has something about economics really changed, will a trade war suddenly work for us where it didn't in the past?

By the way, I rarely watch CNN or MSNBC. I get news from a variety of sources that lean different ways. Trade wars aren't good historically speaking, that's why I oppose this. Furthermore Trump isn't just limiting this to our opponent China, he is pissing off our friends too. If it we're just China I wouldn't have as much a problem as he originally said but then he changes his position and does it to our allies.

Trump complains about trade deficits but we are the biggest economy in the world, that is always going to leave a deficit. I agree that some deals are not good for us but I don't think a worldwide trade war is in our interest.

I don't know about the buy America act so I don't know what worked and what didn't. I will go read about it. I am more familiar with the Berry amendment which had to do with defense department spending. Making the government buy local ends up costing more so the taxes may go up but more money stays in the country as well. I am not an economist eithe so my suggestion should be considered an idea only.
A chance as in to see how things progress as opposed to crying “the sky is falling” based on speculation on what you think will happen.

Eventually, Trump’s approach of coming out in the extreme, letting the shock factor run its course and then soften will lose its current effect. Many other nations have picked up on this.

I believe some (or much) of what Trump does is in his best interested beyond his current position as President. That said, I think many of the things he’s done are for the good of this nation. Hasn’t he earned some credit?

ren

« Reply #486 on: July 13, 2018, 01:25:23 PM »
Interesting to see that there are some engineers on this board. Spent several months as a project engineer for a general contractor. Hated it. I had a business degree and every project engineer was a CE. I knew very little about construction but when I left I learned quite a bit about concrete etc.

Anyways, my stock portfolio is grateful for President Trump. He is doing good things and unlike previous career politicians he is trying to keep his promises. The lobbying industry and the career politicians don't like him as he can't be bought. I believe he is in it for the people.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »
Interesting to see that there are some engineers on this board. Spent several months as a project engineer for a general contractor. Hated it. I had a business degree and every project engineer was a CE. I knew very little about construction but when I left I learned quite a bit about concrete etc.

Anyways, my stock portfolio is grateful for President Trump. He is doing good things and unlike previous career politicians he is trying to keep his promises. The lobbying industry and the career politicians don't like him as he can't be bought. I believe he is in it for the people.
Project engineer in a construction company can be very lucrative, but also a high stress job. Get work done, maintain bottom line, keep workers safe (many of which you wouldn’t trust with a butter knife), and more. I see pretty high turnover.

My speciality was concrete construction, particularly post-tension construction. Didn’t do that in my first job when I moved back to HI though. Lots of my work now is in Guam and Japan, and they don’t use PT.

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2018, 06:26:06 PM »

Two words you rarely see together:

INTERESTING and ENGINEERS.

:rofl: :rofl:
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

Inspector

« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2018, 07:00:22 PM »

You are my brother from another mother!!!  :rofl:

I still enjoy being a SI. But I prefer to work with the larger union contractors as (generally speaking) they want to do it correctly the first time. I am currently working with Nordic, Swinerton and Dredging on 5 different projects. And when I tell them something is wrong, they fix it right away. They don’t question and they don’t complain/argue. I am also working with a couple of medium and small contractors and they always argue/complain when I tell them to fix something. I’m not afraid of writing non compliance’s. Fortunately, my company backs me up 100%.

I worked as a contractor’s QC for 2 1/2 years and will never do it again. Too much responsibility, too much stress and and not worth the money. I also worked as QA on the first half of the rail project. Did this for a few years. Also did QA/QC and Construction Inspection for the DOT. This position was too slow and boring for my taste. It was all horizontal construction and I prefer vertical construction. Now I not only get to do SI but also forensic investigations.

I agree what you said about ones reputation but I think it also includes ones personal integrity. I couldn’t live with myself knowing something dangerous was overlooked or ignored. I try to be as thorough as possible but realize I am only human.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Inspector

« Reply #490 on: July 13, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
Lots of my work now is in Guam and Japan, and they don’t use PT.
Considering the humidity in Guam I don’t blame them for not using PT. We are currently working on a rehab in Waikiki that is PT and all the cables are gone. I have not asked how they are going to go about reinforcing the slabs with all the missing cables? Not sure I want to know.  :rofl:

eyeeatingfish

« Reply #491 on: July 14, 2018, 11:47:35 PM »
A chance as in to see how things progress as opposed to crying “the sky is falling” based on speculation on what you think will happen.

Eventually, Trump’s approach of coming out in the extreme, letting the shock factor run its course and then soften will lose its current effect. Many other nations have picked up on this.

I believe some (or much) of what Trump does is in his best interested beyond his current position as President. That said, I think many of the things he’s done are for the good of this nation. Hasn’t he earned some credit?

I am not saying the sky is falling, only that I don't think the trade war will work, I think it is a bad idea. I would. Be happy if I am wrong of course.

I give Trump credit where credit is due and I do think he had good intentions.

I do see an advantage to coming out harsh and then softening but I do fear that other countries are at the point they no longer trust anything Trump says. It seems there is uncertainty. Unless Trump is sectetly telling Canada his plans I think Trump's words are hurting some of our international relations. Again, I hope I am wrong.

ren

« Reply #492 on: July 15, 2018, 06:59:27 AM »
Other countries have been taking advantage of our generosity over the years and Trump is finally turning off the spigot. That's the main reason why countries are mad.
Deeds Not Words

Inspector

« Reply #493 on: July 15, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
I have a little bit of a different take on some of this. This is JMHO. I am no expert. This is just my gut feeling and my observations.

I do not believe we are in a trade war with anyone. Yet. I believe we are just posturing and threatening and trying to feel out what the next step is going to be between us and our trading partners. We hold the money. If our trading partners don’t like what we are doing they are welcome to raise their tariffs even higher. Which has happened on the first round. Then we raise or add our tariffs. I’m still waiting to see Canada, China, Mexico, etc. raise their tariffs again. I would think if we are in a trade war our trading partners would be raising tariffs again. So far, it has not happened. If this forces our trading partners to come back and renegotiate or lower/remove their tariffs then we win. I believe our trading partners are so tied in with our economy that they will be shooting themselves in the foot if they continue and don’t back down. Let’s face it, if China doesn’t want to provide us with cheap shit, there are another dozen countries that would love for us to make them our new trading partners and to come invest in their country. And we can continue to get cheap shit. China is as rich and as technologically advanced as they are because of us. As Trump said, we hold all the cards.

I believe that Trump won’t force any country to run a trade deficit with us. I believe he just wants to lessen the trade deficits with the countries that are taking full advantage of us.

I also don’t believe we are hurting our relations with our allies. I believe we are shaking things up. I believe we are pissing off the leaders of those countries. But I believe for the most part Trump has the support of the majority of the citizens of the countries that Trump is trying to shake up. Seriously, what’s stopping them from stopping trade with us? What’s stopping them from leaving NATO and siding with Russia? If they are that pissed off at us, we would seeing signs of them pulling away from us.

Personally, I think it is too premature to say we are officially in a trade war and we ruining our relationships with our allies/trading partners. It takes a whole lot more than what Trump has done so far to get to the point we are in a trade war and we are at the point of losing allies/trading partners. Be patient and let’s see how this all plays out. These things take time to right or to go wrong. We’ll see what the results will be.  :popcorn:

6716J

« Reply #494 on: July 16, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
Does the name of that company start with an “N”?

Being a licensed engineer, I can’t turn a blind eye to things I see. My project or otherwise. I mean I’ve helped the contractor get to a “good enough” point. But I’ve had some flat out ask me to let non-conforming things slide.

Most special inspectors won’t let the big things slide either. Like you said, they would have to live with themselves if someone got hurt. Thankfully, in the project I’m referring to above, the SI resigned and let us know what was going on.

I'm not saying it does, but I have an Aunt Ann, who lives in San Fran  ;)

I remind the guys about the tower crane incident in NYC where the inspector went to prison for signing off on the work done. Crane collapsed and killed people.

I did a job in Las Vegas with a really bad contractor who just bullied everyone. PT beams and decks for garage and support of a retail mixed use structure. They continually refused to clean out the trash and debris from the forms. After they stripped them, I would go around and take pictures of the work. I have the picture still where I could put my entire arm through the beam, tendons exposed.... Not pretty

6716J

« Reply #495 on: July 16, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Considering the humidity in Guam I don’t blame them for not using PT. We are currently working on a rehab in Waikiki that is PT and all the cables are gone. I have not asked how they are going to go about reinforcing the slabs with all the missing cables? Not sure I want to know.  :rofl:

Re-thread the tendons if the sheathing is still mostly intact.they'll have to solder the live end to a point to do it and make sure it doesn't splay out if it hits anything. Helps it feed better too. Lots of grease too.

changemyoil66

« Reply #496 on: July 16, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »
So news feed is filled with titles such as "Treason by Trump for meeting Putin".  But not 1 mention of that fact that Putin stated Russians gave Clinton 400 million...

drck1000

« Reply #497 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »
I'm not saying it does, but I have an Aunt Ann, who lives in San Fran  ;)

I remind the guys about the tower crane incident in NYC where the inspector went to prison for signing off on the work done. Crane collapsed and killed people.

I did a job in Las Vegas with a really bad contractor who just bullied everyone. PT beams and decks for garage and support of a retail mixed use structure. They continually refused to clean out the trash and debris from the forms. After they stripped them, I would go around and take pictures of the work. I have the picture still where I could put my entire arm through the beam, tendons exposed.... Not pretty
Gotcha MAN!  ;)

In a recent job, the form work burst at the end of a pour, so the concrete stopped short of where the drawing clearly said where the joint was to be located and that no construction joints below it.  Well, when the contractor stripped the form, luckily the ET was there and noted it and wrote it up as non-conforming work.  Not only was the pour stopped short, what was poured was all honey combed.  The contractor claimed that it was cosmetic and was going to patch it up.   :o >:(

robtmc

« Reply #498 on: July 16, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »
So news feed is filled with titles such as "Treason by Trump for meeting Putin".  But not 1 mention of that fact that Putin stated Russians gave Clinton 400 million...
Not to mention that they had US intelligence servie help with the deal.

Sounds like Bennan's CIA.

The Deep State is fighting back with obfuscation and spinning.

drck1000

« Reply #499 on: July 16, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
Not to mention that they had US intelligence servie help with the deal.

Sounds like Bennan's CIA.

The Deep State is fighting back with obfuscation and spinning.
Listening to all of the former Obama admin members talking about how bad everything was. Do they know what was discussed or agreed? No. Simply based on some comments of Russian ambassador.