July 28 HDF day at the range (Read 4941 times)

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
July 28 HDF day at the range
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
Skill building on the handgun platform😎
First off....
all are welcome at the open shoot from 8-10 am (no rsvp required)
set up is 7:30 am for open shoot. 
rate for open shoot is $15.
There will be a $5.00 discounts for all who help to set up in the morning at 7:30 
8am -10 am open range 
10 am clean up and reset for instruction.
1030 - 3pm instruction and skill building. 

-------> hdfrangeday@thehdf.org. <-----

you will receive notification of your class status on monday,  via email
if you apply later than monday, you will receive a reply email with your status as we receive it.
we anticipate a full class, but the wait list usually moves a bit

required gear includes pistol, holster, at least 2 extra mags, mag carriers, and 250 rounds of pistol ammo
hats, long pants and shirts recommended
shoes are REQUIRED
YOUR SHIRT MUST BE TUCKED IN AND REMAIN TUCKED IN YOUR PANTS !!
IF WE NEED TO Remind YOU TO TUCK IN YOUR SHIRT YOU WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE!

Bota-CS1

Re: July 28 HDF day at the range
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »
Thanks again guys for a well run Open Shoot.  See you all next month  :thumbsup:
No one is coming, it’s up to us.

Legislation should never be about depriving law abiding citizens of something, but rather taking those things away from criminals.

changemyoil66

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
Thanks for the open shoot and skill builder. 

Recap:

1 thing that I've learned was about twisting the elbows out to add torque/pressure to the pistol.  I've heard online about pressing the hands together for recoil mitigation.  When I do that, my chest/pecs get tight and you can only spend so much energy holding that pressure (2-4 seconds).  But when you twist the elbows slightly, not even 1/2 inch rotation, it adds a world of pressure to the grip with no effort at all.

I will try this later for live fire.  During the class was not the right time to try new stuff.  I currently extend my arms straight and the rotation doesn't flare my elbows at all.

The 2nd thing I learned was strong hand malfunction clearing.  Tapped on my holster and used my holster to grab the rear sight.  Then at a downward angle toward the ground, I was able to rack.  The problem I had was I didn't rack hard enough so my slide didn't lock back on the 1st try.  So in the 6 man firing lane, I was the last to take the final shot.

Then after racking with slide lock, drop mag and holster.  Then add in new mag and use slide release to fire 2nd shot.  I have a hood on my Gcode, so even with the hood down, I found my self still pressing that hood release with my thumb after inserting in fresh mag.

We did the exercise with an empty gun, slide forward.  The entire time I was waiting for someone to have a hot gun and a shot going off.  But everyone was good.

I've seen this online, but was always to afraid to practice it.  I didn't want to mess up my rear sight, just in case.  But during the class, I had no choice and had to do it.  Gonna practice it at home with my IWB and try on my belt/holster.

Of all the pistol classes, this one was the one that taught me the most so far.  Things that I never tried or experienced. 

Thanks again HDF staff for the skill builder.

macsak

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
Thanks for the open shoot and skill builder. 

Recap:

1 thing that I've learned was about twisting the elbows out to add torque/pressure to the pistol.  I've heard online about pressing the hands together for recoil mitigation.  When I do that, my chest/pecs get tight and you can only spend so much energy holding that pressure (2-4 seconds).  But when you twist the elbows slightly, not even 1/2 inch rotation, it adds a world of pressure to the grip with no effort at all.

I will try this later for live fire.  During the class was not the right time to try new stuff.  I currently extend my arms straight and the rotation doesn't flare my elbows at all.

The 2nd thing I learned was strong hand malfunction clearing.  Tapped on my holster and used my holster to grab the rear sight.  Then at a downward angle toward the ground, I was able to rack.  The problem I had was I didn't rack hard enough so my slide didn't lock back on the 1st try.  So in the 6 man firing lane, I was the last to take the final shot.

Then after racking with slide lock, drop mag and holster.  Then add in new mag and use slide release to fire 2nd shot.  I have a hood on my Gcode, so even with the hood down, I found my self still pressing that hood release with my thumb after inserting in fresh mag.

We did the exercise with an empty gun, slide forward.  The entire time I was waiting for someone to have a hot gun and a shot going off.  But everyone was good.

I've seen this online, but was always to afraid to practice it.  I didn't want to mess up my rear sight, just in case.  But during the class, I had no choice and had to do it.  Gonna practice it at home with my IWB and try on my belt/holster.

Of all the pistol classes, this one was the one that taught me the most so far.  Things that I never tried or experienced. 

Thanks again HDF staff for the skill builder.

you have to be careful with a VP9 doing that, the ears/wings to help rack the slide come off easily when racking on your holster

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
I've gone through a couple instructors that teach the arm flare thing for stability for handguns as well as for long guns.  It really does help, but takes a bit of time to ingrain it and get used to it.  I still often catch myself reverting to old habits (w/o the arm flare).

The one handed manipulations are also interesting first time doing it live.  I have sights on my Glock that have ledges specifically for that, but still one thing to do them yourself.  Holster, belt (hopefully one that is on the more rigid side), or even the heel of your shoe.  Try different ways.  It can surprise you what you can get to manipulate the slide.  The one handed manipulation is also applicable to if you need your off hand for other things, like defending against an attacker or guiding a loved one. 

Sounds like good stuff!   :thumbsup:

you have to be careful with a VP9 doing that, the ears/wings to help rack the slide come off easily when racking on your holster
Sounds like you need stronger ears on your heads.   :P

macsak

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »
I've gone through a couple instructors that teach the arm flare thing for stability for handguns as well as for long guns.  It really does help, but takes a bit of time to ingrain it and get used to it.  I still often catch myself reverting to old habits (w/o the arm flare).

The one handed manipulations are also interesting first time doing it live.  I have sights on my Glock that have ledges specifically for that, but still one thing to do them yourself.  Holster, belt (hopefully one that is on the more rigid side), or even the heel of your shoe.  Try different ways.  It can surprise you what you can get to manipulate the slide.  The one handed manipulation is also applicable to if you need your off hand for other things, like defending against an attacker or guiding a loved one. 

Sounds like good stuff!   :thumbsup:
Sounds like you need stronger ears on your heads.   :P

be glad, I know that chris baker one month had people rack their pistols on the ground...

drck1000

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »
be glad, I know that chris baker one month had people rack their pistols on the ground...
I was there.  Or at least was there for a shoot where we had to do that. 

Plenty of rocks in the ground that "help" that. . .  :P

WTF?Shane

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »

Fun times.  8)

changemyoil66

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »
I was there.  Or at least was there for a shoot where we had to do that. 

Plenty of rocks in the ground that "help" that. . .  :P

We had to also hold a rock in the hand while doing the drill.  I'm going to try to see if my shoes can be done.

drck1000

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 09:59:07 AM »
We had to also hold a rock in the hand while doing the drill.  I'm going to try to see if my shoes can be done.
For the heel, it's pretty easy if you can have you foot slightly off the ground.  Your foot position is similar to when you are sitting with one leg bent and resting on the thigh of the opposite leg.  You can do it kneeling too, but be careful you have enough space to rack the slide and clear the ground. 

Racking on my belt is probably one that I've practiced the most.  You can even do it if you are wearing athletic shorts, but it can hurt.  That training scenario is you just did a gun takeaway where you caused a malfunction in the attacker's gun by grabbing the slide.  After you've taken away the gun, you have to tap-rack to clear the malfunction.  You may need your off hand to fend the attacker off. 

One fun drill for stuff like that is in the course of fire, the instructor or someone will hit you with a tennis ball or something else.  Whatever body part it hit is where you are wounded, so you can no longer use that body part.  It was pretty fun and also pretty funny observing folks going through that drill.  Some are so focused on shooting that they don't feel the tennis ball, so the next one has to be thrown harder.   ;D

zippz

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
Once you get used to that, try using your support hand.  Then without looking
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

changemyoil66

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
Once you get used to that, try using your support hand.  Then without looking

I'm going to try a double feed malfunction clearing with snap caps at home later with strong hand.