fried chicken - discuss (Read 15792 times)

hvybarrels

Re: fried chicken - discuss
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 11:52:53 PM »
For truly next level chicken nothing beats organic free range birds from a local farm that are not pumped up with hormones, antibiotics, and salt water. So far I have always taken the safe route and roasted them to preserve the flavor, but would definitely like to try it fried especially if someone else is cleaning up the kitchen after I fill it with smoke, grease splatter, and flour dust.
“Wars happen when the government tells you who the enemy is. Revolutions happen when you figure it out for yourselves.”

Tom_G

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 08:17:47 AM »
There is no good fried chicken here. It's on the unicorn list, next to anything creole, TexMex, and proper barbecue.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

drck1000

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »
There is no good fried chicken here. It's on the unicorn list, next to anything creole, TexMex, and proper barbecue.
What's your best, anywhere?

Ezell's in Seattle was awesome.  I've had some really good fried chicken in MD and VA, but I can't even tell you the name of the joints.

Mexican is another that HI is sorely lacking.  My faves are Los Chapporros and there's a decent one in Aiea, but nothing like the joints in that I've had in SD.  Then I have a buddy who lived in Houston who says all of that is "fake"/junk.  But good for me.   ;D 

drck1000

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »
XO is #1, amazing out of the world sauce and the chicken itself is very good. I would add Foodland to the list though.
Restaurant XO?  I've been wanting to try that place.  Very good reviews. 

===============
The day after I wrote that comment, we had a potluck at work.
I work next door to a Foodland store and somebody brought a bag of the Foodland fried chicken.
At first, people grabbed it quickly. When it got down to the last 3 pieces it just sat there.
I took one piece home to chop into my dog's food.... It was pretty hard to chop up.

The rest of the chicken went into the company refrigerator and sat there for 2 days. I don't know where those ended up.
I assume many times it's been under those lamps for a while.  I actually don't mind chicken that's a little dry, but not jerky level. 

Safeway's salt and vinegar wings are good too. 

Tom_G

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »

Ezell's in Seattle was awesome.  I've had some really good fried chicken in MD and VA, but I can't even tell you the name of the joints.

Mexican is another that HI is sorely lacking.  My faves are Los Chapporros and there's a decent one in Aiea, but nothing like the joints in that I've had in SD.  Then I have a buddy who lived in Houston who says all of that is "fake"/junk.  But good for me.   ;D 

I'm a Louisiana boy. There, any place you order fried chicken, it's good.

Now, I just don't even try any more. I really like Dirty Lickin's chicken bits, enjoy wings from a few places, and am ashamed to admit I have a taste for chicken McNuggets, but as far as getting actual pieces of fried chicken, I've been disappointed so many times that it's off the list. My trips back to my ancestral lands are as much about food as they are about the people I go to visit. Somehow even Popeyes chicken here is crap compared to their product on the mainland, and that's saying something!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

macsak

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »

ezell's is bomb

drck1000

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »
I'm a Louisiana boy. There, any place you order fried chicken, it's good.

Now, I just don't even try any more. I really like Dirty Lickin's chicken bits, enjoy wings from a few places, and am ashamed to admit I have a taste for chicken McNuggets, but as far as getting actual pieces of fried chicken, I've been disappointed so many times that it's off the list. My trips back to my ancestral lands are as much about food as they are about the people I go to visit. Somehow even Popeyes chicken here is crap compared to their product on the mainland, and that's saying something!
I don’t each friend chicken much either, but more about avoiding fried foods.  :(

I’ve been doing a lot of work with a company in Reston, VA. Have had many calls from them as my bosses to head over there. I love the seafood in VA and MD (Cheasapeake) and others.

Nothing wrong with having a taste for McNuggets. Haha

ezell's is bomb
Went to college near there. The location wasn’t the most inviting tho.

macsak

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
Went to college near there. The location wasn’t the most inviting tho.

the ave?

drck1000

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »

macsak

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »
23rd and Jefferson  :shake:

you went to Garfield?
so did my father...

drck1000

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
you went to Garfield?
so did my father...
That was a pretty rough area when I was living in WA. Got better before I left in 2004. Parties in the 20th Ave and higher area was hit or miss. Haha

aieahound

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »
The texture of Church’s is good. Real tender inside. Not much flavor though. Gotta sauce it or dipping sauce it.
The taste of Popeye’s is boss. (Though I would like to try real Louisiana fried chicken)
Dirty’s popcorn chicken bits is the best deal in town for real chicken and delicious. (High school kids go batshit for it, so avoid after school hours)

I still also like Zippy’s fried chicken as a comfort food.

oldfart

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
Restaurant XO?  I've been wanting to try that place.  Very good reviews. 
I assume many times it's been under those lamps for a while.  I actually don't mind chicken that's a little dry, but not jerky level. 

Safeway's salt and vinegar wings are good too.
It was tougher and stringier than beef jerky.
I have not tried Safeway salt and vinegar wings, but I've tried the one from times supermarket kunia.
I judged it to be over seasoned.....too much vinegar flavor.
What, Me Worry?

dirtylickins

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • I carry a gun... Cause carrying a cop is too heavy
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 06:50:55 PM »
Thanks hound ill pay you later :shaka:

Heavies

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »
Ever since all these places started to try making fried chicken, or any fried food, "healthy" the quality, flavor, texture, and taste has gone to crap, IMO. 

Ray's has decent rack of lamb sometimes for a decent price,  rib eye with asparagus, or prime rib and crab, on special...  if broke just a mini steak with toss salad.....   oooooooh...

RSN172

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:39 PM »
My wife can also make really good fried chicken.

Inspector

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 05:06:31 AM »
The texture of Church’s is good. Real tender inside. Not much flavor though. Gotta sauce it or dipping sauce it.
The taste of Popeye’s is boss. (Though I would like to try real Louisiana fried chicken)
Dirty’s popcorn chicken bits is the best deal in town for real chicken and delicious. (High school kids go batshit for it, so avoid after school hours)

I still also like Zippy’s fried chicken as a comfort food.
Dirty Lickins is very good. Lot’s of food at a good price as well. I just wish they had a restaurant closer to our house. If they did we would go more often.

Zippy’s is good. But I would not go there specifically for fried chicken. But when they have the chicken/spaghetti special I’m there.

Popeye’s and Church’s is meh for me. But my wife likes both.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

oldfart

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 06:31:35 AM »
I still like KFC flavor, but the prices went up, the chickens got small, and the Waipahu location closed down. >:(
What, Me Worry?

ren

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
I still like KFC flavor, but the prices went up, the chickens got small, and the Waipahu location closed down. >:(

But there's Jollibee! :thumbsup:
Deeds Not Words

oldfart

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 08:26:25 AM »
But there's Jollibee! :thumbsup:
===
Jolli is good but also very expensive for what you get. I do like the gravy they give with the ckn. yummy!
What, Me Worry?