How to tell if 9mm & 223 brass are Ok to reload (Read 2290 times)

changemyoil66

How to tell if 9mm & 223 brass are Ok to reload
« on: July 16, 2018, 09:31:23 AM »

Bushido Firearms has a flyer.  Bring in your own brass and they will reload it for you.  Pretty good price.

But it says the brass you bring in will be the same ones used.  So to inspect all before submitting.

So what should I look for?  As in when to toss.  I know any steel/aluminum can't be reloaded.

We shoot with the HDF, so brass gets all mixed up, but I will try my best to only take my brass.

ren

Re: How to tell if 9mm & 223 brass are Ok to reload
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:32:38 PM »
223 brass tend to have neck splits. Federal 223 is not worth reloading - too soft.
Other than that when they resize 223 it will likely stretch and theyll trim it (I hope they do).
I never heard of ammo remanufacturers taking in used brass from customers and reloading them. I know brass processors like Dick Whiting resizing and trimming brass then sending it back. To load from user supplied brass takes on some risk by the remanufacturer
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:45:08 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

TooFewPews

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
I agree with what ren says above.  i'd also like to add that the primer pocket usually becomes loose before i get any split necks.  in some cases, the primer pocket becomes so loose that it won't even hold a primer in it.  it's difficult to tell whether the primer pocket has become loose just by visual inspection.  i'm told that there is a company that makes tools to check the primer pocket specs, but i've never invested in them.

if a piece of brass has a loose primer pocket, then i'll usually mark it in some way so i know to throw it away if it ends up in my spent brass bucket.

i also agree with ren about the trimming.  i know that some of the mainland ammo remanufacturing companies will not trim the brass, which i think is a terrible idea.  i don't have any experience with Bushido's process so i can't comment.

ren

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »
Not in any way bashing Bushido Arms just curious as to what is being done to user supplied brass - especially 223 as there are more steps to process the brass before reloading. I found that annealing properly goes a long ways in processing brass. So far with my Pake annealer the annealed brass is holding well. It's good to see a local vendor taking on a service like this. I like reloading - maybe its brings back childhood memories of working in a factory making shoes. The repetitive motions etc. I find it fascinating.

I would guess that the market could use some loads that replicate Mk262. A 77 gr flying at close to 2900 fps. I could never duplicate that safely.
Or better yet M855A1 loads :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:41:32 PM by ren »
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »
For 9 mm, I asked a bunch of IPSC guys the same question and they look for splitting in the case rim.  Some keep a count of number of reloads.  Others will pick up random brass and reload and that's where they said that they have to be more careful.  They are generally loading to the lower power end of the spectrum, so they said usually not a big deal if they miss one that is borderline, but they did say that have to be more careful if you're loading closer to factory. 

rklapp

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:31:45 AM »
I think it's a good idea if the .223 brass hasn't been reloaded more than a few times, the necks have been bumped the .002", thoroughly cleaned and shiny, and possibly the necks turned. I agree that Federals are a waste of time for reloading.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

changemyoil66

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
I'll talk to Busido Arms more and get more info.  The flyer just said bring your brass.