Best Places on Oahu for Powder? (Read 4459 times)

screen

Best Places on Oahu for Powder?
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
I was wondering where the best places on Oahu to get powder are. I'm mainly interested in cheapest price and keeping powder regularly in stock. I don't really care about the quality of the powder,  as I won't actually be reloading with it. I'm wanting to learn to make gun powder art.
Training available at AthenaeumTraining.com

Inspector

Re: Best Places on Oahu for Powder?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
I was wondering where the best places on Oahu to get powder are. I'm mainly interested in cheapest price and keeping powder regularly in stock. I don't really care about the quality of the powder,  as I won't actually be reloading with it. I'm wanting to learn to make gun powder art.
Security Equipment is probably the best.

Gun powder art? Have any examples?
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

aletheuo137

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
You try J.Hara & Windward Gun shop too. But do Security Equipment first

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

screen

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
Security Equipment is probably the best.

Gun powder art? Have any examples?

This is probably my favorite work I've seen.

This guy does a lot of good wildlife and landscapes too.

Inspector

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »
WOW that is pretty cool and interesting. Looks like he is using slow burning powder.
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

Trumper

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 12:39:11 PM »

This is probably my favorite work I've seen.

This guy does a lot of good wildlife and landscapes too.

He should do that outside

screen

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
He should do that outside
I assume those guys have studios with enough adequate ventilation and fire safety equipment. I plan on doing it on my back porch with some ply wood wind blockers and a fire extinguisher on hand.
Thanks for the suggestions guys,  I'll check out the stores this weekend.

rklapp

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »
Cheapest price you'll find is Roys Fishing in Aiea but you have to know what you're looking for. They mostly specialize in Hodgden H powders. HGS and Young Guns in Mapunapuna compete for powder prices. J Hara and WGS are comparably expensive.

You're probably looking for ball powders. Some tend to be sticky (static charge) and some tend to roll essily. Not sure which would be easier to work with. I'll have to check out the powders I got in my stash to see which are which.
Yahh! Freedom and justice shall always prevail over tyranny, Babysitter Girl!
https://ronsreloading.wordpress.com/

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:32:01 AM »
I assume those guys have studios with enough adequate ventilation and fire safety equipment. I plan on doing it on my back porch with some ply wood wind blockers and a fire extinguisher on hand.
Thanks for the suggestions guys,  I'll check out the stores this weekend.
==========

I'll give you some free powder to play with. Just post some pictures so we can see your handiwork.

Send me a PM.
What, Me Worry?

rklapp

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 09:21:37 AM »
I've been wondering about this ever since I watched a powder art video last year. As with reloading, there are many different powders to create different results and some are easier to work with than others. I imagine a large flake or extruded powder would be problematic with applying to the backing. I'm starting to wonder if a slow burning powder is better. Fun stuff to consider...

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/tech-resource/technicalResourceId/14

http://www.10mm-reloaded.com/powder/pistol_powder_images.htm

Bushido

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 07:58:37 PM »
Roy's Fishing Supply for sure would be a good place to check. Prime Sports had good deals but haven't been there in awhile. Please post your art, I've seen quite a few on social media. Really looks cool.

Maybe someone will pull downs could donate some powder.

JunUButay

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 10:01:39 AM »

WGS on Sand Island

rklapp

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 01:07:18 AM »
WGS on Sand Island
WGS is definitely the best place to buy powders that no one else has but comes at a premium price. WGS and Jhara averages about $50 per bottle. WGS is the only place I know that has Unique and I4451.

AFAIK, the cheapest places are:
1. Roy's Fishing. Can get some powders for $24 per bottle (including H4350) and bricks of primers for $28. They specialize in Hodgdon powders, mostly H brands. You have to know what you're looking for so bring a list with you so they can look it up in the computer. They then go in the storage area to get it. Their inventory is stocked when Roy apparently makes a run to the mainland so when they're out, they're out.
2. HGS. About $33 per bottle average. Great inventory. I've noticed that YG has become competitive but their inventory is much smaller.
3. SEC. About $37 per bottle average. Better inventory. Sometimes have 10% off sales. Big selection of 8 lb jugs (but no Varget). Primer bricks are about $34.
4. I can't remember how much Prime Sports is, but he has a very limited supply on the shelf.