Red Dot Preferences for AR? (Read 10357 times)

Drakiir84

Re: Red Dot Preferences for AR?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 08:06:46 AM »
If I were picking up a new "budget" optic I'd probably get this.  https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50&products_id=63

Has the "shake awake" feature that the romeo's have and you can switch between reticles.

$329 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HE510C-GR-ELITE/dp/B079PH36FX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527790031&sr=8-1&keywords=he510c-gr+elite&dpID=41Ic2v9DCTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:10 AM »
If I were picking up a new "budget" optic I'd probably get this.  https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=50&products_id=63

Has the "shake awake" feature that the romeo's have and you can switch between reticles.

$329 on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HE510C-GR-ELITE/dp/B079PH36FX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527790031&sr=8-1&keywords=he510c-gr+elite&dpID=41Ic2v9DCTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
I was looking at Primary Arms/Holosun and they seemed to have decent reviews. Pricing is great. I also know of a couple guys who have the Holosun on a “hard use” training gun. Haven’t picked their brain about how the dot has held up, but it’s still on there, so that told me a lot. They said, I’ve also read quite a number of bad experiences with them, which has me staying away. At least for now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:11:01 PM by drck1000 »

changemyoil66

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2018, 10:37:12 AM »
I got my SIG Romeo5 for $165 & $180.  So way less than $329.

If you're going to "hard use" the optic, then EO Tech would be the best option due to it's durability.  But then you're spending way over budget.

My wife and I both run Romeo5's at the HDF carbine skill builders.  No durability issues (knocking on wood).  But it's basically just dust that gets at the optic.

TooFewPews

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2018, 11:57:00 AM »
I was looking at Primary Arms/Holosun and they seemed to have decent reviews. Pricing is great. I also know of a couple guys who have the Holosun on a “hard use” training gun. Haven’t picked their brain about how the dot has held up, but it’s still on there, so that told me a lot. They said, I’ve also read quite a number of bad experiences with them, which has been staying away. At least for now.

according to internet lore, the Holosun HS503, Primary Arms, Sig Romeo 5, and the TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm are all made by the same company.

I picked up two of the TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm red dots on sale at Cabelas.  All in all it cost less than $100 each.  one sits on an Ultimak gas tube rail mount on my AKM and the other occasionally sits on an AR (when i don't have my ACOG mounted).  of the two, i think the one mounted on the AKM has taken a pretty good amount of abuse.  it seems to maintain zero even when i've heated up the gas tube from long strings of fire to the point that it is hot to the touch.

if i could do it again, i'd probably pick up a couple more at that price.

drck1000

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
according to internet lore, the Holosun HS503, Primary Arms, Sig Romeo 5, and the TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm are all made by the same company.

I picked up two of the TruGlo Tru-Tec 20mm red dots on sale at Cabelas.  All in all it cost less than $100 each.  one sits on an Ultimak gas tube rail mount on my AKM and the other occasionally sits on an AR (when i don't have my ACOG mounted).  of the two, i think the one mounted on the AKM has taken a pretty good amount of abuse.  it seems to maintain zero even when i've heated up the gas tube from long strings of fire to the point that it is hot to the touch.

if i could do it again, i'd probably pick up a couple more at that price.
I thought PA and Holosun collaborated or somehow worked together on one of the micro dots that I was looking at.  Not sure which one off the top of my head, but I believe it had an EoTech-like appearance with a dot and circle around it. 

I've shot a couple of guns with the Sig, but pretty much 10 rounds at a time here and there.  Haven't tried the Tru-Glo.  I don't doubt the "internet lore" that you mentioned to be true.

Incidentally, I was thinking of putting a Holosun/PA on my AK.  For now, one of my Aimpoint T-1 is going on the AK, but that could change.  The got will be mounted on a picatinny section of rail for the gas tube, so the heat aspect is something I'm wondering about.  I've seen Trijicon RMRs and Leupold Deltapoints on the same gas tube mount, so I'm assuming they are just fine.  But still, that area gets pretty darn hot. 

I finally have all the parts in for the AK project and hopefully will update that thread in the next 1-2 weeks.

changemyoil66

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »
So many choices.  Just run iron sights and problem solved. =P

ren

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 03:58:43 PM »
So many choices.  Just run iron sights and problem solved. =P

Went back to irons. Good all the way out to 600 yards.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
Irons? Get lots of choices there too! Haha

I currently use DD fixed and mix in some ARMS folding rear sights on some guns.

mangosteenqueen

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »
Still waiting for Primary arms to release their 1x cyclops prism sight but seems that they’ve delayed it just a little longer than they estimated. They’ve been saying you can use a magnifier with it too.
Supposedly the eta will be July

Inspector

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2018, 07:45:29 AM »
I just picked up a Vortex Venom (3 MOA Dot) slightly used. I will probably put it on my .357 but I am considering putting it on my AR before it gets permanently attached to the revolver.

If I like it I may have my Glock 17 slide modded to fit a reflex dot on it. Decisions, decisions.  ;) ;) ;)
SCIENCE THAT CAN’T BE QUESTIONED IS PROPAGANDA!!!

changemyoil66

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
Irons? Get lots of choices there too! Haha

I currently use DD fixed and mix in some ARMS folding rear sights on some guns.

I just looked that up too.  Damn didn't know so many choices.  In this case, no need sights, use guesstimation.

I run the Mbus Magpul flip sights as my back up.

drck1000

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
I just looked that up too.  Damn didn't know so many choices.  In this case, no need sights, use guesstimation.

I run the Mbus Magpul flip sights as my back up.
I actually want to get a basic 6920 with carry handle and keep it just like that and shoot it a lot.

For guestamation, I used to shoot with this older guy at SRGC and he said his vision was such that he had a hard time picking up sights. Being a long time shotgunner, he learned to point shoot. Basically pointing the finger on his support hand and that worked really well for him shooting clays. He did in the defensive courses of fire and actually did quite well. We were shooting full size silhouette targets at like 5-10 yards, but he was still getting pretty good hits.

robtmc

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »
My .22 Benjamin Discovery PCP rifle stays with Wiliams peep sight to keep me honest.  Can be shocking how I can get 22 yard groups with irons just about as good as with a scope.

Part of that is the pellet choice, but it is a confidence builder.

I currently like the KAC- USMC surplus folding BUIS.  Have a Matech, but the elevation calibration is goofy toward the upper end of the scale.  The KAC should fit underneath any scope i might get in the future.  Price is right as well.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:15:18 PM by robtmc »

drck1000

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 07:26:58 AM »
My .22 Benjamin Discovery PCP rifle stays with Wiliams peep sight to keep me honest.  Can be shocking how I can get 22 yard groups with irons just about as good as with a scope.

Part of that is the pellet choice, but it is a confidence builder.

I currently like the KAC- USMC surplus folding BUIS.  Have a Matech, but the elevation calibration is goofy toward the upper end of the scale.  The KAC should fit underneath any scope i might get in the future.  Price is right as well.
I've never shot a gun with the KAC rear sight.  They seem like one of the gold standards, but they are a little pricey.  I had a gun that came with the MaTech, but I sold the upper before I had a chance to shoot it. 

Bushido

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:25 PM »

Looking for recommendations for BUIS with adjustable elevation. KAC, LMT and where to buy especially with all the counterfeits out there?

Also, what AAA batteries are you running in your red dots? Mine leaked, I caught it early so not much damage.

ren

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »
Looking for recommendations for BUIS with adjustable elevation. KAC, LMT and where to buy especially with all the counterfeits out there?

Also, what AAA batteries are you running in your red dots? Mine leaked, I caught it early so not much damage.

I ran a cut carry handle that looks like the LMT with an Aimpoint in front. It was lower 1/3 co witnessed.
Deeds Not Words

drck1000

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
I have an LMT rear sight that came off my MRP.

For batteries, I have lithium for my red dots with AA batteries. They haven’t leaked.

Bushido

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
Thanks I use rechargeable lithium ions everyday at work. I had no clue they had one time use lithiums. Gonna try some out supposedly leak proof.

Soleyobo

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »
I know this is for ARs but how about RDS on hand guns?

drck1000

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
I know this is for ARs but how about RDS on hand guns?
I have a Trijicon RMR Type 2 for my Glock 17.  I have shot guns with other dots, like Deltapoint and Sig Romeo (I think that's it).  There are quite a few videos on them.  Try looking up Mrgunsngear and TRexArms.  I'm still a relative newbie to red dots on handguns.