affordable first handgun (Read 9371 times)

stangzilla

affordable first handgun
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:51:52 AM »
friend of mine may be getting his first handgun, he's not quite sure yet
he already has an AR.  on occasions brings up "what's a good handgun to get?"
so I'm trying to give options that fit his needs, which are:  affordable, home defense gun so doesn't need to be compact, probably 9mm so ammo is cheaper, good ergonomics
so far I suggested:
Glock 17
CZP10
HK VP9
Springfield XD
S&W M&P
Ruger GP100 (just threw that in bc I'm a Ruger fan, he probably won't go for a revolver but I think its an excellent HD gun)

what other options would you guys add?
thanks.   :shaka:

drck1000

Re: affordable first handgun
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:09 AM »
Glock 17  :thumbsup:

I think you got it covered with the Glock 17, VP9 and CZ P10c.  I'd add Walther PPQ in there as well. 

As far as ergos, I'm a big proponent of try before you buy.  Tougher to do that in Hawaii due to limited options.  If doesn't already have his affidavit, I would recommend he take the class with LIFE.  The range of firearms he will get to try is staggering.  If he already does have his affidavit, let me know and I can bring what I got and he can try.  I'm sure you could get someone here to offer up a VP9 and CZ P10c to try, as well as others. 

Drakiir84

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
Glock 17 all day.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

stangzilla

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
he doesn't have the affidavit yet
Walther is a great suggestion. I'd like to try a Walther myself, never shot one.

drck1000

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 08:25:45 AM »
he doesn't have the affidavit yet
Walther is a great suggestion. I'd like to try a Walther myself, never shot one.
I can help you and your friend with both.  PM me and we can set up a range day. 

stangzilla

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
I can help you and your friend with both.  PM me and we can set up a range day.

sure, thanks.   :thumbsup:

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 10:14:08 AM »
If he is a newbie pistol shooter, a revolver such as your Gp100 would be great.
It's easy to teach a new shooter with a revolver.

Next to that, a Glock 17.
What, Me Worry?

Flapp_Jackson

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:35:55 AM »
The Sig P320 is one of the most affordable Sigs ever, and has the weight and striker-fired benefits of a Glock.  To me, the ergonomics and overall performance are worth trying.

When I got my P320 9mm Full size, it was $459 -- about what I paid for my G17.  I've seen the P320C Compact on sale at OGC now for $599.  Not sure if the standard full size is more or less now. High demand could be driving the prices up. Then there are the more expensive models with the holographic sights, cut slides, etc.

I guess it all depends on what "affordable" means. 
"How can you diagnose someone with an obsessive-compulsive disorder
and then act as though I had some choice about barging in?"
-- Melvin Udall

drck1000

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:14 AM »
The Sig P320 is one of the most affordable Sigs ever, and has the weight and striker-fired benefits of a Glock.  To me, the ergonomics and overall performance are worth trying.

When I got my P320 9mm Full size, it was $459 -- about what I paid for my G17.  I've seen the P320C Compact on sale at OGC now for $599.  Not sure if the standard full size is more or less now. High demand could be driving the prices up. Then there are the more expensive models with the holographic sights, cut slides, etc.

I guess it all depends on what "affordable" means.
I've been wanting the P320 X5 for a while.  That sucker isn't cheap.  I guess I would call it reasonably priced.   ;D

changemyoil66

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 11:00:30 AM »
Tell him, as long as it's under $700 it's affordable and ammo is cheaper than AR ammo.  So he will make it up on the back end.  That's if it's a 9.

stangzilla

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
under $700 I consider affordable as long as its a good quality firearm
but I guess price is relative to each person's definition

jaynick

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
M&p 1.0 is real cheap now.  282 after rebate. Id buy another at that price if rapback went away.

drck1000

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
CZ P10c on sale for $399 at AimSurplus. Free shipping,  it not sure if HI will be more. Even with FFL, that’s a good price. Very tempting to get one.

Drakiir84

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
CZ P10c on sale for $399 at AimSurplus. Free shipping,  it not sure if HI will be more. Even with FFL, that’s a good price. Very tempting to get one.

Get me one too.
"The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."
-Jeff Cooper

Drakiir84

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 02:46:14 PM »
lol sold out....
-Jeff Cooper

drck1000

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
lol sold out....
:(

Been more seriously considering a new handgun lately. But then I’ll get a lever action, then a 22 bolt gun, then... sickness I tell ya!

zippz

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 04:34:19 PM »
Midsize pistol, like glock 19, may be more versitile if he wants to carry later.
Join the Hawaii Firearms Coalition at www.hifico.org.  Hawaii's new non-profit gun rights organization focused on lobbying and grassroots activism.

Hawaii Shooting Calendar - https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=practicalmarksman.com_btllod1boifgpp8dcjnbnruhso%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu

ren

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
Deeds Not Words

fang23

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:14 PM »
+1 for Walther PPQ. M2 version has conventional mag release button. Earlier model has euro-style lever.

Or, if he can handle real steel, don't forget a Model 1911 in 9mm. Heavier, fewer rounds, but some folks really prefer the way it fits their hand.
"If it ain't one thing, it's another."

stangzilla

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »
My friend did ask about a 1911 and Sig p320
I've shot several 1911's and own 2 myself, I love the steel frame and love 1911's almost as much as revolvers so that could be an option
Maybe in a few weeks I'll go with my friend to shoot some handguns maybe narrow the options